Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little scard. So, anyone know the sound a bike makes when you first start it up when its sat for a 5 hours to over night and there is little oil in the top of the head? Bike has fresh oil. Has a knock sound but goes away after about 2 seconds. Well today it was loud and took longer. I shut the bike off then restarted it. Same sound so I lightly revved it and then it went away and sounded normal. I am going to call Gina's BMW and talk to her about it and have them check it out when they put the valve cover gasket on. I have not hot rod it besides doing a throttle pop to see how well the throttle response is to my 9r. Crushed my nuts so good there. Any thoughts?

To some people its a rocket.
To others it's freedom. (zx9r, zx14)

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 14 would not have a auto one like the 9r does? Does make sense. Oil would act as a space filler. Like greasing a loose king pin on a semi and then the looseness is gone. Roger that, I will have them check that. Thank you kindly sir.

·
Registered
114 Posts
do not shut your bike and restart it ! it isn't good , let the oil get all the engine parts before shutting the bike !
There is an auto Tensioner but it seems like it doesn't works very well . It has been a few complains in here about it some people changing to manual

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tasteful knowledge in deed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a 1998 ZX11 that did the same thing. However, the knocking noise would last longer. I removed the lower timing chain cover and noticed the cam chain had a lot of play in it. I slightly loosened the tensioner and allowed it to come out one additional click. That solved the problem. But, if you just got your bike, I would definitely bring the bike back to the dealer. If it does not sound right, it probably isn't.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
cam chain tensioner.
+1 the zx14 cam chain tensioner is oil pressure operated so the oil pressure bleeds off after the engine shuts off then it takes s few seconds to build up pressure again when the engine is restarted. I think when the bike is serviced by the dealer they just replace the o-rings every time the service is done to shut it up but the best thing to do is replace it with a manual cam chain tensioner.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Its the chain tensioner, no need to worry. Mine decided not to stop making noise at 43 thousand miles and I installed a APE unit, no more start up rattle and going well another 20 thousand miles. I did try to readjust the APE a bit as the miles poured on but it did not need any adjustment.

Be sure to prime the oil filter with oil before installing a new one. Don't install a dry oil filter. Fill it up and jog the starter till the oil light goes out. Otherwise if you have installed a new oil filer (dry) and then started the engine you will hear the most god awful knocking sounds till the oil pressure builds and fills the dry oil filter. You will not like that sound at all but I doubt it really hurts anything. I hate that sound so I prime the filter and jog the starter and then fires it up.

The dogs having fun, JRT and Dachshund

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the information. I need to print the manual off and read it. Also, does anyone have an adjustable kick stand they be willing to part with? $60 on ebay is pricy you think?

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Geez , another thread jacking . I heard if you keep thread jacking you go blind. I guess it could have been worse , someone could have started talking about oil.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Another thread jack.Big looking terrier.I have a black Bull Terrier,what a clown.Oh my tensioner isn't that loud yet at 7000 miles.
Craig

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
13,202 Posts
I guess I'm amongst the fortunate- pushing 30K and no CC rattle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
mine started doing it after 2k

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does all Kawasaki rockets shift loud from first to second and second to third? I shift average of 5k. I try to shift at 3.5k to not hear the loud shift from first to second . My 96 cbr 600 smoking joes and 99 zx9r done it. Just wondering or if I am doing something wrong.

To others it's freedom. (1999 zx9r, 2008 zx14)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Does all Kawasaki rockets shift loud from first to second and second to third? I shift average of 5k. I try to shift at 3.5k to not hear the loud shift from first to second . My 96 cbr 600 smoking joes and 99 zx9r done it. Just wondering or if I am doing something wrong.

To others it's freedom. (1999 zx9r, 2008 zx14)
My 07 clunks pretty loud sometimes 1-2 and 2-3.

I'm prolly gonna do the EVO star shift upgrade. Hopefully it will quiet down.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts