Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for work boot recommendations for WORK (not necessarily for riding a bike)
Please give me some of your experiences with work boots and some buying tips that might help me.

Boot qualities and uses:
Work Location: Mostly outside in the elements which can be very extreme here. 125 mile radius of Williston, North Dakota or close to the Canadian border in NW North Dakota (Bakken Oilfields)
90 degree short summers
longer winters with temps dipping to -40 degrees (below zero)
snow and ice
sometimes deep mud
occasionally oily concrete slab
but most of the time dry ground

Boot qualities;
8" high boot
composite toes please (ST is heavy)
waterproof
good traction in snow
color doesn't matter
Side zipper entry is very desireable
COST between $125.00 and $200.00

occasional driving tractor trailer
climbing 6 foot ladders (no climbing on oil rigs I HOPE)
typical workday involves working for an hour or 2 moving and connecting 50 lb. pipes on foot, then sitting around and waiting for 3 or 4 hours. then repeat. Shift lasts 12 hours.

I need to order something by tomorrow night online.
Training starts April 2nd. I have some boots but nothing proper for this job as a frac operator.

Here's my shorter list of boots. Haven't looked at the best prices yet. Please pick your favorite if you have the time to comment. Every..one's feedback is much apreciated. thanks

This looks good

Don't know anything about this company

Another Tactical boot

These Danner boots look real nice. I guess quality costs money as usual

I have some Rocky 8' Swat Boots now. They're comfy, but mine aren't safety toes.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
rough house looks the go and the first one
very close to what i wear all year round

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
http://www.oliver.com.au/asp/show_products.asp?CatId=12

water proof almost to the top

the leather has a waxy type finish and repells water and the tounge is sealed on the inside ... water has to pour in from the top or be standing in water at the top lace point before it enters the boot

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Frankly, I love the $40 sears roebucks. Recently picked up some wolverines that aren't bad, but wouldn't have bought em if I was paying full price.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://www.oliver.com.au/asp/show_products.asp?CatId=12

water proof almost to the top

the leather has a waxy type finish and repells water and the tounge is sealed on the inside ... water has to pour in from the top or be standing in water at the top lace point before it enters the boot
These are from OZ?
I have some redbacks. Some of the oliver boots look real similar.
i found a retailer. These boots are very nice indeed.
In fact, "There the bees knees!"
And they are on backorder of course.
You have the 2nd most expensive boot they have listed. i think quality footwear is extremely important too. Thanks slim.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Frankly, I love the $40 sears roebucks. Recently picked up some wolverines that aren't bad, but wouldn't have bought em if I was paying full price.
Thanks for the feedback.
I have some nice boots from Walmart that only cost 45 bucks. I went back to buy some backups and of course they were only a temporary product no longer made.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
no probs ... the company is Ozzi... made not far from where I am now but I think the production has gone overseas, still great quality tho

·
16,062 Posts
These aren't an all-purpose boot and are on the heavy side, but,
if you consider getting 2 cheaper pairs, as opposed to one expensive pair,
the mickey mouse boots are hard to beat on the days when you will be outside for long periods in negative temps.
I don't think they make a boot that will be comfy in both 90* and -40*.
We use these for hunting in the winter.
There's been guys that got a boot full of creek water and within a minute, the water in the boot is warmed up to body temp. Just one to think about.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I wear Rocky boots. They are made with thinsulate (keeps your feet warm) and gortex Keep your feet dry). I use the ones with 800grams of thinsulate, just the right balance of keeping my feet warm and not too hot in the summer.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These aren't an all-purpose boot and are on the heavy side, but,
if you consider getting 2 cheaper pairs, as opposed to one expensive pair,
the mickey mouse boots are hard to beat on the days when you will be outside for long periods in negative temps.
I don't think they make a boot that will be comfy in both 90* and -40*.
We use these for hunting in the winter.
There's been guys that got a boot full of creek water and within a minute, the water in the boot is warmed up to body temp. Just one to think about.

I'll be living at a mancamp for a month at a time. No civilization for miles they tell me. I'm bringing my Walmarts and Rockies as backups. I'll have room for only one more pair of boots. These have to be my primary. thanks for the input.

·
Registered
919 Posts
In 2007 I bought a pair of $45 Wal-Mart steel toe boots and I still wear them 5 years later. They have been through everything from blizzards to 100 F days with 130 F black top and held up really well. Also since they are so old already they are loosened up more than a truck stop hooker so they are really easy to slip on. If you want to know the brand I can check as they in my garage now.

·
16,062 Posts
-Mostly outside in the elements
-NW North Dakota (Bakken Oilfields)
-90 degree short summers
-longer winters with temps dipping to -40 degrees (below zero)
-snow and ice
-typical workday involves working for an hour or 2 moving and connecting 50 lb. pipes on foot,
-Shift lasts 12 hours.
These are what stick out to me.
Before I blabber on, how much experience do you have in these conditions?

·
16,062 Posts
If you are just outside for short periods, like to walk from the truck to the shop or just outside for 20 minutes here and there, a regular, insulated work boot will be fine.
But when you get into hours at a time in a place that has loooong winters that hover below freezing.............frost bite sucks.
You better get yourself boots that are rated for -40*.
If you have to be outside for 2 hours and then inside for 2 hours, just change into the Rockies you have when you get inside.
Is there any way to get a hold of someone from the job site and see what they wear/recommend?
I see a few guys talking about blizzards and 800 gram insulation and whatnot.
N Dakota, N Minnesota, etc,......winter is a little different than what most people who deal with winter, have dealt with. Changing boots to go outside for a few hours is well worth the 2 minute hassle.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts