Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost, I am an idiot. I was trying to check the bike using the diagnostic block and pop! spark! something shorted out. When that happened, my perfectly running bike now does not make any noise when you turn the key. The meter still works, but the bike is completely silent. No fuel pump priming noise, no subthrottle actuator noise, nothing. The bike will still try to turn over when you hit the start button, so the starter circuit and kill switch is functioning fine. All lights come on. I just don’t hear anything at all and I don’t get an FI light. When I try to get a diagnostic code using the yellow wire under the seat, nothing happens; no FI light. Turning the key to the on position used to make the FI light come on for a second, but this doesn’t happen anymore.

I swapped out ECUs to see if I burned something out, but the problem persists and everything electrical but the fuel pump and subthrottle actuators work when you turn the key.

The fuel pump is okay; it will come on if a positive lead is touched to the wiring, so I know that is safe. I tried switching out throttle bodies with another lying around hoping that maybe the subthrottle actuators are shot, but that didn’t help.

I checked all the fuses including the fuse box and the 30A main fuse and all are intact and look ok. I jumped the relays off the battery to make sure they are working and they are making a click noise when powered, so I don’t think they are fried. Or could they? Since my bike is a 2003 ZX-6RR, there are individual relays, not a single block like in 2005+.

I found this thread and looked through everything, but I just can’t figure it out. http://www.kawiforums.com/2003-2004-zx-6r/50940-05-zx6r-bike-wont-start-13.html

I have read in the service manual that when part of the wire harness is shorted, open or something wrong, the bike (ECU) shuts down power to the subthrottle actuators (like described in service code 62) and fuel pump (like in code 31, but the bike was never tipped over so this shouldn’t be the problem). This seems the case, but I can’t figure out how to restore the circuit. It won’t go into diagnostic mode for me to clear any codes.

Taking the battery out does not reset the circuit either.

I’ve tried tracking down the problem through the wiring charts, but all fuses that are on the circuit for the plug are intact and look good. I’m at my wits end here and I can’t figure this out. Please help!!!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
You say yellow wire, mine is orange. past that maybe check and see if you get power to the pump when you turn the key. Then make sure its pumping gas after that. Sounds like you may have multiple problems

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Lol how do you not check fuses first?

I am pretty sure if there was a school on repair (and there is) that would be more important to get correct on a test than your name at the top.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Masta,

Fuses were the first thing I checked.
I visually checked all the fuses. They all looked fine, but it wasn't until I put a multimeter to all of them that I found the correct one.

Go take your smartassery somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I was just messing with you man, don't take me so seriously around here.

I just forgot to mention that little trick. The lead inside a fuse can get a hairline split somewhere that causes it to not work. Happens a lot.

Actually had a friend not believe me and he had the same problem, which I found the same way.

So technically I am just as bad, since I neglected to remember that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, that's what the problem was. it was a hairline crack in the fuse near the side where it is really hard to see it. I had to hold it to a lightbulb to find the crack.

It's all good Masta. Sorry about the comment. I'm quick to be on the defensive and literal at times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts