Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 471 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I thought I'd start a thread as I have some plans for this winter. and I'll be posting pictures as well as maybe asking some questions here.

Plans:
Stainless steel front brake lines. have them. a double banjo bolt is on the way.
I know some people don't think that SS lines are worth it, but I got these used on eBay for 25 bucks. so you can't go wrong.

05-06 zx6r swignarm. on the way. along with pivot bolt, axle, and rear caliper
A swingarm swap is something i've been considering for a while, and i got this one for $30 shipped. so again, can't really go wrong.

Race air ducts. They're in the mail.
again, not a performance increase, but they look great.

Here's my bike as it sits now. I'll keep you guys updated!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Wohoo! Another winter thread to follow :D

Steel lines are totally worth it especially considering most of the rubber stuff on these bikes have never been changed and are probably tired anyways!

Who did you order the race ducts from?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ducts are from http://www.squidskins.com/

A smaller company out of Canada, the guy has a ZX7 that he says weighs 370 pounds, as he has the resources to make almost any part he wants out of carbon. He's a great guy, and if you are looking for any body part, he sells them in fiberglass and carbon fiber.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup, just cheap zx6/9r mirrors. i had some oem ones, but one of the lenses broke. so now I have just the carbon look eBay ones. which don't actually look as bad as they sound. you can't really tell they're "supposed" to be carbon.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The ducts are from http://www.squidskins.com/

A smaller company out of Canada, the guy has a ZX7 that he says weighs 370 pounds, as he has the resources to make almost any part he wants out of carbon. He's a great guy, and if you are looking for any body part, he sells them in fiberglass and carbon fiber.
Ah yes, James. Quite a character. Raced against the likes of Scott Russell and Steve Crevier at Daytona back in the day with a bored out motor too :p

I've also heard stories of his 7. If true, it must be one helluva ride. Seen some pics of it but never in person. Apparently it lives in his kitchen or something now.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i've been thinking about having a thin piece of aluminum welded on the zx6r swingarm, to fill it and make it look cooler. maybe just to where the bracket for the chain guard is? a thin plate of aluminum wouldn't really add any weight.. and I would of course have to re paint it, but i just want something a little different.

worth it?

·
Registered
843 Posts
so i've been thinking about having a thin piece of aluminum welded on the zx6r swingarm, to fill it and make it look cooler. maybe just to where the bracket for the chain guard is? a thin plate of aluminum wouldn't really add any weight.. and I would of course have to re paint it, but i just want something a little different.

worth it?

I think it will look great on there!

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
do it!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, I'm home for the weekend, and apparently all my parts came in at my house at school yesterday, so I'm pretty jacked to get back and see all those.

I'm home alone tonight and had the shop all to myself. so i had a "what if" moment.

Made some rear set jack-up plates. kinda just to see if i could. only went about an inch in each direction.

definitely a rough draft. and I still would like to find a set of aftermarket rear sets. (so if anyone has some I'd love to take them off your hands) but I might spend more time on something like these later on in my winter project. idk. we'll see.

still thought you guys might be interested. :)

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
well, I'm home for the weekend, and apparently all my parts came in at my house at school yesterday, so I'm pretty jacked to get back and see all those.

I'm home alone tonight and had the shop all to myself. so i had a "what if" moment.

Made some rear set jack-up plates. kinda just to see if i could. only went about an inch in each direction.

definitely a rough draft. and I still would like to find a set of aftermarket rear sets. (so if anyone has some I'd love to take them off your hands) but I might spend more time on something like these later on in my winter project. idk. we'll see.

still thought you guys might be interested. :)
Hmm, interesting idea. A 'poor man's' 1-up 1-back.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sitting in the corner of my room. mocking me.

06 zx6r: swingarm/pilot bolt/axle/caliper hanger/caliper
and my ss lines are in the bottom of the box there too.

I wont have much time to get at this till maybe winter break. Thanksgiving break is next week, I'll be home for that and i might be able to get something done then.

Until then, stay tuned and I'll have the race air ducts within a couple days!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Nice. Keep the pics coming.

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
I'm pretty excited to get all this fitted, because between the swingarm, the cbr rim, and the 07 zx6r shock, this rear end is gonna be about the best/lightest thing possible
(on my budget) :tard
That's gonna be beautiful. I'm almost jealous. I want to hear your riding impressions when you get it all done. Obviously, I'd like to see pictures too.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
after swapping the rear rim this summer, the bike was almost night and day. 60 mph transitions are soooo easy now, compared to having to "muscle" the bike around, like you've heard so often before.

I am wondering, with all the bracing on this swingarm, if i'll be able to feel a difference in rigidity mid-corner.
I'll get the two weighed as soon as possible to let you know the actual pound difference.

1 - 20 of 471 Posts