Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a new used motor in my other bike and it makes a wierd sqweek when it starts I took a long extension put it to my ear trying to listen where the sound is coming from .cant relly tell .the sound is like a whirlie bird vent on a roof kinda sounds like a loud chevy starter with a broke. Bendix or something anyone have ideas...starter clutch?this motor was buried in a junkyard for 8 months on a zx11 that ran into a car .I thought it might be water pump cause it was super rusty inside .but remember my very first 11 made a sound similar when starting.anyone have any ideas or maybe this problem before thanks ....

·
Premium Member
13,103 Posts
Other than the two things you mentioned, which would have been my first guesses, check the starter chain tensioner in front of the clutch.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok its not the starter chain tensioner just checked ..or the waterpump I just changed that out.gonna pull the alternator and starter and swap them and see.pretty sure its not the starter cause it has no bendix....kinda sounds like sqweeky bearing ....ill post more when I get farther on it today...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled the clutch basket it ..put thesteels and frictions in the way they are supposed to be ...flaT or round one way and staggered the holes two over each layer the frictions.I. cant tell where this noise is from.I swapped the starter and the alternator sounds still there .bike runs strong .I dont get it .I pulled the
Starter clutch tensioner out noise is still there .its kind of a chirp chirp noise kinda like brake squeel on when starting it goes away I think when its running but who knows for sure cause the bike is so loud.....

·
Registered
405 Posts
counter balancer bad adjustment will cause a "squall or squeal"
if the "clamping" lets loose the the balancer shaft eccentric will
drive toward a taught position and the squalling will start

it is very pronounced when it happens

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
If the motor has been dropped on its stator cover, it can tweak the cover and the stator will rub inside ever so slightly. It will make a whistling noise if it isn't too bad, and only just contacting.

Of course if you have no damage on the outside of the cover then that can't possibly be it. Just a thing I learned in the last couple days of reading around.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am sure this is what I am having and I thought water pump as well, the squeaking/chirping occurs at idle but once under way the bike runs as normal. Tensioner/ pump, related? End of season soon and now the fun begins...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts