Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today while I was out for a ride I had to get on the brakes fairly hard to slow down as I was approaching traffic. I was going in a straightline and got really deep into both the front and back brakes, then something strange happened. The front end started to chatter and buck real hard. It was like the front fender was catching or something. I'm almost positive it wasn't the tire locking up (I don't know if it's even possible to lock the front brake on a sport bike without endoing).

I looked at the front fender and there were no marks from hitting the radiator, there were no flat spots on the front tire from it sliding. Any other ideas here? Anyone else ever experience this?

It scared the piss out of me, I really want to figure it out before I have to brake that deep again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
it could have been some braking bumps on the road possibly, especially if this happened close to an intersection.:headscratch that would cause the bike to shutter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
First I would make the front dampening softer, having the front too hard can make the bike shudder under hard braking. Next I would check the front disks for warping.

You can lock the front wheel up on a modern sports bike but like I said this is often due to the front suspension being too hard.

I would practice emergency braking checking what I said as soon as possible on a quiet bit of road before you have to really stop suddenly again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow thanks for the info guys. Just for reference, it wasn't the road (it wasn't near a stop and the road was very smooth).

I do think I have a warped rotor, I totally did not connect the two. The bike has a lumpiness at lowspeed when stopping with the front brake, I am almost positive that's what it is.

It just seemed to come on very suddenly, it seems like a warped rotor would manifest itself in direct relation to the pressure applied.

Is the shuddering from using a warped rotor unsafe or just uncomfortable?

Thanks again

·
Registered
62 Posts
i would definiately look into getting a new rotor. your front brakes give you over 75% of your stopping power. if it was the back i would let it go, but your front brakes are not something to mess around with. also be careful setting your suspension if you make it to soft it can cause some tank slappers, i learned that on my motocross bike not fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts