Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought some crash mushrooms of ebay for an 05 6R and screwed them into the swingarm (where the paddock stand bobbins go).
I thought they'd protect the swingarm in the event of a slide...how wrong I was.
New swingarms are made of aluminium. If it had been steel the result may have been different.
Looking for an aluminium welder / new swingarm (1100 USD).

Ouch.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
daaayyyuuummm! that sucks man. can you give us some more details on how the bike wrecked? low-side or high?

I am actually waiting for my swingarm spools/sliders from Protek for my 10R, but after seeing this, maybe I will just stick with the Pit Bull ones to prevent that from happening to me in the event I ever go down.

I feel ya on the swingarm, but I would not try to repair it. I would instead replace it. I had to replace the swingarm in my ZX-12R a while back and I looked into options of repairing, but my fallback was structural integrity and I didnt dare compromise anything so I opted for a swingarm.

Swingarms are of course going to be hella expensive if you buy them new, cheapest brand new is on www.ronayers.com but I strongly recommend you play the secondary market game on ebay. You should be able to pick up a good condition swingarm for $150 to $200 shipped, and I'm not exaggerating that price. I'm not sure on the availability out there though, but I would keep checking every day, and worry about fixing other things that were affected from the wreck in the meantime.

By the time everything else is fixed, you may be able to find a swingarm replacement. You can also try looking around for wrecked bikes people are parting out as well.

Keep us posted please on your progress and what you end up doing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front end just tucked in at the apex of a corner. The bike was well over at the time so I didn't have far to fall. Going 40 mph. I'd say the front & rear footpegs took the biggest beating and shielded the of the bike from most of the damage.

Yamaha have the best idea, they make protectors that screw into the rear wheel axle & swingarm pivot bolt. The frame & swingarm come no where near the road but I couldn't find anything similar for Kawasaki.

I will look into a used part instead of a weld. Most 05 crash damaged bikes are sold as a (complete) unit - too much residual value - so parts can be hard to find in the UK. In a few years parts will be plentiful.

Take this one on the chin. At least I walked away. Leathers are finished.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
KillingTime said:
so parts can be hard to find in the UK
Well, if you see anything here in the United States that you are interested in and you need someone to ship it, I'll be glad to help out.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
that suck. I think you have to TIG weld aluminum. not sure. Glad your OK.

·
Registered
109 Posts
that suck. I think you have to TIG weld aluminum. not sure. Glad your OK.
actually you can weld aluminum with a mig welder, with aluminum weld wire, and helium for your gas... as for the strength of the swing arm? isn't it just the eye loops that busted off that you put the spools onto?

if it was just the loops it shouldn't affect the strength by much and welding it back would prob be the cheapest way to go. if you got the part to weld back on that is.

and at least you walked away from this one, i would rather replace a brand new swing arm then loose my life. good luck on this.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am no pro.. but the damage there should not effect the strength of the swing arm. If there was a crack up the side... that prob would render the swing arm useless.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
ive seen this happen without wrecking. simply from using the stand.

but yeh, get it welded back on, assuming you still have the pieces.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts