Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

Why do you ride?

1K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  gammac 
#1 ·
What is it? Tell us about it....why do you ride motorcycles?

#2 ·
For me it's a way of life! I ride in rain,sleet,mild snow most anykind of weather. My cars get real dusty in the riding season, I even go grocery shopping and grab my Aeroetich bag and fill it with pop,milk,bread or whatever. Drop off,pick up my kids. If my ride floated I would go trolling for fish.

#4 ·
Oh yeah. I always get severe dry-mouth because I always got a huge smile on my face.

Riding is pleasurable, plain and simple. Nothing beats the fresh air. And having that kind of power under you for a lot less $ than it would be to have that kind of power from a car is sweet.

#5 ·
Addiction. Its that simple. Back in the 80's my dad got hit on his motorcycle and almost killed. He survived but it was a life changing event for all of us. I swore then that I'd never ride. Then about 8 years ago my brother asked me to take his KZ1000 for a ride. I didn't want to but he insisted. 30 minutes later I was completely hooked. I had a '65 Buick Skylark with a fresh 350 under the hood. I parted that beater out and bought my first bike (1982 KZ1000). Since that day I don't even car about cars anymore. My friends are buying hot rod car parts and I'm buying bike parts. I wouldn't want it any other way. Addiction. That simple.
T

#7 ·
Cars lean away from turns and leave you feeling seperate from the experience. On my bike i feel one with every curve, an actual part of the equation. The acceleration is unmatched for a road vehicle and it is just plain FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In a way it is a form of meditation coupled with concentration that brings me peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 ·
I was brought up around bikes, and have allways loved them. there is nothing that matches the air and experience of being on a motorcycle. I have had cars just as fast but the money was unreal nevermind fuel mileage. and the cost of broken parts, you can buy an off the shelf bike just as fast with a warranty, how do you beat that

#10 ·
True, the only thing I used to care about when I was a kid was fast cars. Ferrari's and turbo Vettes and the like, any care with the prefix of super- before I was interested in, but then I began noticing inconsistencies in performance numbers and the like in mags and sites. A 2-wheeled vehicle keeping up with some of these so called super cars?! What!? And then, an epiphany! THE PRICE!!!

Heres a magazine that pretty much sums it all up...

Check out that Agusta parked right in the middle of all those cars! What the hell is it doing there?

Showing them up is the answer!!!

Check out this link to an img of all the performance data!!!

MUST SEE!!! CLICH THIS LINK!!!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l180/redman_01_2006/CIMG1420.jpg

In the quarter, the only car the Agusta is slower than is the Lola Champ car!!! The half mile it's the same case!!! At the end of the full mile, the bike is slower than...
1. A freakin Lola Champ car
2. A twin Turbo V10 Viper
3. A Saleen Twin Turbo V8 S7
...but only slower by 2 seconds!

The MV Agusta F4-1000 Tamburini edition has got to be the most exotic and expensive ($42,995!!!) sportsbike out there, if you actually used a faster bike such as the then-modern literbikes, I'm sure the race would be much closer, except in the pricing!!!

For the price of any of the cars in this test you could soup up any bike to MAX race trim and still have thousands for track days and rider schools.

BIKES WIN!!! CARS (pricing) SUCKS, and that is why I ride. Cause I love speed.

#14 ·
:whip
Finally!!! an opportunity to use this "smilie"!!!

Seriously though, I'm going to have to agree with SLIM1100. I still remember the first time I rode a street bike (I've ridden dirt bikes for awhile before moving to the street). I think I cried, I definitely remember being blown away by how much power a sports bike has. It was like the throttle could warp time and change everything. Since then I've been hooked.

:blob

I LOVE SPORTS BIKES!!!

#15 ·
I am 53 years young, and have been a hard rider in cars my whole life! Been riding bikes since I was 20 with a 12 year break until beginning of this year! I think I am enjoying bike riding now more than when I was young ( I think my ba*** grew bigger!

Had a nice dice with a Ferrari 360 the other day on the ZX10R and just blew him away! What a nice feeling!!! The power under your control can not be matched with any standard road car under $100,000.00! Can buy 10 Superbikes for the same price.!!!

#17 ·
Having ridden bikes on and off for 40 years, I suspect its because I like to. Since retiring 3 years ago and converting to road bikes I've managed to put 42 000 km (26 000 miles) on three of them: living away from Brisbane my main excuse is its cheaper :)-) than driving. I'm lucky to be able to go by back roads for part of my journeys and of course there are the trackdays.

gammac

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.