Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MotoGP and World SBK used to have races in South Africa but that is no longer the case. Does anyone know why this is?

And is Welcom the same race track as Phakisa Raceway? Is there one or two tracks there?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes, Welkom and Phakisa is the same venue. Unfortunately, here in SA we have politics within motorracing circles as I believe is the case in many other countries as well. Personally I think the "new" Kyalami circuit is ideally suited for motorcycle racing and there is a strong faction that want to move the SBK and MotoGP there. The only drawback is that it has lost it's old long straight. It is now also under new management and I believe application have been made to include it in the 2008 season.

I think the main problem was sponsorships, which I don't know why, because the MotoGP and SBK races draw huge crowds here.

·
Registered
532 Posts
South Africa has some of the best weather for motorcycle riding! Our summers are fairly hot (28-36degC) with the accosional afternoon thunderstorms on the Highveld. Lower down in the Cape Province mostly nice weather all summer! Our winters is mild (0-8degC) and then it is reversed - ideal up north but rainy in the Cape Province.

In certain Provinces and areas the roads are not ideal for Motorcycles but in general we have good roads and some areas are made for bikes - nice twisties in the mountains with the occasional straights!

Motorcycling went through a bit of a dull 5-10 years ago, but is now picking up again like crazy! Here also as elsewhere, motorcyclists were in the past classed as the "Bad-Boys", but luckily that is starting to change because of the costs.

·
Registered
379 Posts
They also stopped the bike racing because they said the tracks didnt have the safety equipment needed to host the international racing even though millions had been spent to make it safer than most international tracks. Costing is a huge thing as no locals would be able to attend the events as the ticket prices would be made to high so they could make more money from the international fans and their currencies.

SA has amazing riding all year round but the biggest thing now is that riders are being bothered constantly by pigs ( Metro police ) for silly little things and there are to many of the fuckers around now to.

To give you an idea, i was riding with a mate and we got pulled by the pigs who confiscated his bike because he had dirt on his tail light and they said they cant see the light so the bike has to be taken through road worthy again. We cleaned the light there and then and they had started doing the ticket and gave him another fine because he was now obstructing their jobs.

·
Premium Member
4,453 Posts
They also stopped the bike racing because they said the tracks didnt have the safety equipment needed to host the international racing even though millions had been spent to make it safer than most international tracks. Costing is a huge thing as no locals would be able to attend the events as the ticket prices would be made to high so they could make more money from the international fans and their currencies.

SA has amazing riding all year round but the biggest thing now is that riders are being bothered constantly by pigs ( Metro police ) for silly little things and there are to many of the fuckers around now to.

To give you an idea, i was riding with a mate and we got pulled by the pigs who confiscated his bike because he had dirt on his tail light and they said they cant see the light so the bike has to be taken through road worthy again. We cleaned the light there and then and they had started doing the ticket and gave him another fine because he was now obstructing their jobs.
THAT is so wrong:banghead why do they have to be such twits??:headscratch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts