Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Comfort and distance. It's all relative. I'm turning 75. I've ridden 100's of thousands of miles. I only ride longer distances, usually around 300 miles. I suspect your comfort issue is due to several factors.
Although cruising at 100mph in strong wind will beat up anyone, the main problem is gonna be the fact that you just don't ride. I mean no offense here, but riding 50 miles is barely warming the oil. If you want to feel comfortable riding long distances, you simply have to ride long distances. It's like training in sports. You can then analyze what you're feeling and make adjustments, e.g., bars, foot pegs, wind screen, throttle lock, bar end weights, seat, etc.

You just gotta do the miles. And maybe carry some ibuprofen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yep couldn't agree more with that.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Comfort and distance. It's all relative. I'm turning 75. I've ridden 100's of thousands of miles. I only ride longer distances, usually around 300 miles. I suspect your comfort issue is due to several factors.
Although cruising at 100mph in strong wind will beat up anyone, the main problem is gonna be the fact that you just don't ride. I mean no offense here, but riding 50 miles is barely warming the oil. If you want to feel comfortable riding long distances, you simply have to ride long distances. It's like training in sports. You can then analyze what you're feeling and make adjustments, e.g., bars, wind screen, throttle lock, bar end weights, seat, etc.

You just gotta do the miles. And maybe carry some ibuprofen.
yes ADVIL was truly my friend

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,573 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,378 Posts
From my understanding, if they "digitally" remove them; which is not a physical removal, to be clear; they allow the secondaries to open up 100% with the main throttle body. This removes the factory limitation of the bike and you regain power everywhere. Especially the top end. So, you have access to all of the 190+ RWHP that the 14r is rated for. Not just a small portion of it. From what I've heard, read on the forums and watched on the youtubez; you'll have a completely different bike to ride with it being unrestricted.

The physical removal of the secondaries further improves on the "digital" removal. By removing the plates and shaft, you gain more volume for the air to travel through and remove the mass that the air has to travel around.

@Hammerhead can you detail how the drive-ability of your bike was impacted before and after the secondaries were removed? I don't want to speculate on it since I still have the secondaries installed on my 10r
The 'flies were gone when I purchased the bike. I believe the glitch was slow throttle response since the later models stilll have secondaries, but the opening curve was changed. I don't know if you can easily remove the pivot shaft since it has to be sealed on either side of each throttle body. Apparently the restriction is minimal.

I wouldn't say it's a "completely different " machine without the 'flies, but that, along with some other easy mods, will make it much more lively off the bottom. The ATRE makes a big difference because it removes the lower-gear timing restriction.

Reactions: 92Ninjas

·
Administrator
58,802 Posts
I just did a 185 mile ride and only stopped once for gas.
Went up to our getaway home for a few days while Mrs EZ was away to illinois for a family visit
Ol Rt 66 cruising 90 to 100 and topped out 142 (in mexico)
Only thing that bothered me was my boney butt on the hard seat
Coming back was a bit different since it was 50* in the morning and the heated grips were a blessing
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Sky Plant Cloud Wheel
Tire Sky Wheel Plant Plant community
Font Material property Gas Electronic device Vehicle

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did an unofficial Ironbutt on the way to WY from VA on my 2008 ZX14. Did 6K miles in less than 2 weeks. First day was eventful. Met a huge black bear on the highway that I stopped and was 3 ft from. Had no choice all the cars blocked me in as everyone wanted to see the bear. Went through a rain storm that turned into a hail storm and was hit so hard in the face with a chunk of ice that it split my face-shield. Then when I was close to the end of 1000mi day I pull into a gas station full up and people were running all over the place. I wondered why everyone was looking at me. I waved as I left and later found out that I rode through the riots in Ferguson MO in 2014, I have a tank bag, see picture, that my body rests on. Rainsuit, tire plug w/ inflator and other "need it now" items are in that. Same with the EZ Pass for toll booths. I rest on it as I ride. Bought a Airhawk seat that you blow up. It has airbladders with valleys in between that keep the boys from sweating and so things don't stick to you. Guys do the same thing with the beads that they mount to their seats. Work your way up to doing miles. Boots are waterproof Timberlands.

Attachments

41 - 49 of 49 Posts