Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Morning guys and gals.

I am riding the bike as I bought it, but I did try and set the controls ergonomically for me as soon as I got it. I did grips, rearsets.

Not messed with the suspension yet because she tips in so good lol I am scared if I change anything I'll lose the handing ability, I swear she handles better than my old R1.

I never use knees to grip the tank, I kinda just smother it.

Sorry to hear about the wifes knees, hope she's healing ok.

Well, I cut my holiday short and came home, I had the same 120 mile 2hr ride in the saddle, only this time I arrived home with 70% less fatigue. Similar strong winds, same 90-115mph sustained speed.

I think during my first ride, packing the panniers was hard work, nothing fit, must have done it 3 times, squashing the boxes, frustrated, then getting kitted up which takes ages as all kit is so new and tight, I was knackered before I started my journey and the ride itself just finished me off.

On the return journey, this time I packed the night before so I literally got up, jumped on the bike and rode home and it was a lovely ride despite the grey clouds and spitting rain.

So I think my initial fatigue was a combination of things, doing too much before I rode, first long ride being in a state of tiredness, then doing it at high sustained speeds in v.high winds all contributed to it.

I did think back to this post and the advice given and I was mindful on the way home about feeling nervous or anxious and trying to remain calm and relaxed on the bike, I think all the bits of info helped.

Thanks a bunch guys n gals, I won't feel so worried about a distance ride next time, but I will make sure I am better prepared before I do so.

Some stills from a vid I'm putting together of me ride lol.

Sky Atmosphere Plant Eye Cloud

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Sky Plant Helmet Motor vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: 92Ninjas

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you said it I missed it, How tall are you? Long in the leg, Short in the leg? Im 6 " short in the leg.
My new 98 ZX 11, I installed a Tidy Tail and rode it 60K. Bike was made for me as it fit like a glove.
When I started hanging out with these guys in 2013 ish I added a Puig Clip-On Windscreen Visor | 5% ($6.02) Off! - RevZilla.
Mine was a bolt on and cost about $160. USD.
Then in 2015 I picked up a new 2013 14R and I did not like it. I changed a lot on it, First off I lowered it so my feet were flat at a stop. Raised the bars 3 inches and i'd like to raise them more. I recently bought a used set of LSR highway bars but havent installed them. I moved the windscreen extension from the 11 to the 14. I lowered the pegs with some Knight pegs. dropped them 7/8ths, A throttlemeister, A seat off a 2015 Connie, Oxford Heated grips and a heated seat. Got some Delks 17 inch slip ons which dropped 28 pounds and not much louder than stock. Probably not a issue for you but I also picked up a Vestkimo circulatory ice water cooling vest . It can be 110 degrees out and can have all my leather and gear on and not break a sweat. I dont know how much you like to get it on in the twisties but I set my suspension all the way loose so its like riding a couch that will go 2 and a 1/2 times the legal speed limit 2 up.
I then added a small refrigerator in the sleeping quarters,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe not the last one. All that and 2 Aleve before I head out made it a whole lot better. Ive done several but recently my girl and I did 1600 miles in 3 days without an issue

This Hammerhead guy that talks like he knows everything,,, He is straight up a Bad Ass and does know everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Listen to the man. Everyone else that's chiming in they all know whats up as well. I dont get on here as much as I would like but there is a core group of really good dudes here who love and ride Kawis so you know there heads are on straight.. Probably 1000s of years in combined knowledge.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for the reply mate. Appreciate it. I'm 5'9", stocky, 29/30" leg I think. I had a ZX11 back in the day, scared the bejesus outta me. Strange cos I maxed out an R1 on the road but never done that with a Kwak, the power just doesn't end lol.

Never heard of an ice water vest, that's great ill look into that. Didn't know such a thing existed.

I think largely my boots have been a problem and my kit is very hard and difficult for me to move in, that and packing panniers first have all taken my energy away.

I've since got new insoles for boots, memory foam ones, a Furygan textile jacket. I'll go back it standard bar ends as the mini ones I have could be contributing to vibration. Other than that I think it's just getting on and gradually upping the pace. I do enjoy winding it on to 140 when I can 😊 lol.

Love the bike, more than I did my ex missus 😁

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Lol I know I know. Thing feels so violent like it's gonna whip me off even at that speedz makes me feel sick. R1 never did that. Love it tho lol.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thanks for the reply mate. Appreciate it. I'm 5'9", stocky, 29/30" leg I think. I had a ZX11 back in the day, scared the bejesus outta me. Strange cos I maxed out an R1 on the road but never done that with a Kwak, the power just doesn't end lol.

Never heard of an ice water vest, that's great ill look into that. Didn't know such a thing existed.

I think largely my boots have been a problem and my kit is very hard and difficult for me to move in, that and packing panniers first have all taken my energy away.

I've since got new insoles for boots, memory foam ones, a Furygan textile jacket. I'll go back it standard bar ends as the mini ones I have could be contributing to vibration. Other than that I think it's just getting on and gradually upping the pace. I do enjoy winding it on to 140 when I can 😊 lol.

Love the bike, more than I did my ex missus 😁

LOl my inseam is 29.
Ya you need your gear to be as comfy as it can. I know a $7.00 pair of nice set of insoles will make a $40 pair of boots feel like $100 pair. With inflation $200.00 pair.

Power, you mentioned power, These bike are truly stupid powerful. I have a few power mods and with her on the back in 3rd gear I can get the front tire at 10 oclock. It pulls hard to redline in 6th. Your model has a bunch of potential that can be unlocked by only taking some things off and reflash the ecu. These biks have a built in timing retard in 1st 2nd and 3rd. You remover those limitations and there is a bunch of low end power to be had plus having the fans come on sooner, locking the traction control in the last mode you had it in, Removing the 6th gear rev limiter if you need to go faster than 186 mph. Its EZ. See License plate Right Steve?
My cooling equipment was veskimo, I bought it in 2018 and still works good. they are unfortunately out of business. It was $600 USD but was the best comfort option I ever spent. Other then 1 time in the last 25 years and I got caught by our beloved moderator himself. Im a ATGATT guy. ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME. 4 years ago it paid off big time. We could be in Arizona in August temps are 95 + in the night time except it was day time, and I had everything on. We would stop for gas, I would buy 2 gallons of water and dump both all over me, Fill my boots literally. Guys would ask me if I was hot. Hell yes Im hot, but it would feel a lot warmer sliding on the asphalt belt sander I would tell them. As I got older it was taking a toll on me. I would get light headed as I was overheated. That Vestkimo kicks ass. You get it all set up which can be challenging and its a PITA. But you sit on the bike and its hot as hell, connect the quick connect lines hit the switch and you feel the chill, it starts at your lower back and crawls up and over your shoulders and down to your waist, F ing awesome.They even have an option called the cool cava short for cavessa which in spanish is your head as well as a vest with sleeves. Your next stop your head and face are not sweating. twords the end of the day when its 95 and rolling along you will start getting the chills.
Its a sturdy rectangular tupperware type material 9 quart reservoir with a lid that snaps down on all four ends. It has a built in pump and two well insulated lines coming out the side with quick disconnects. there is also a power tail with a 2 prong connector that has a rocker switch in line and that goes to another tail with a cigarette lighter adaptor. So you need one of thoes under the seat. I bought the optional control knob that will regulate the water flow. But I just run it full blast. The tupperware reservoir gets filled with ice and about a quart of ice water. That entire contraption fits inside a soft insulated cooler that zips up. Cool tip, I got an even bigger soft cooler and put the unit and equipped soft cooler inside the larger cooler and put ice all around that. I large bag of ice and that will last 6 hours. Without my add on 3 hours or every gas stop if its really hot you need to by ice and ice water. I modified mine even further cuz I cant leave shit alone got a y connector and my girl a vest and it keeps us both cool. At the end of the day you feel way less fatigued. Makes it much easier to get up next day and do it all over.

Look on Amazon and dont give up, try different keywords but their are others that are a lot less expensive than the one I got. However I believe you get what you pay for and a more affordable unit that only lasts 2 / 3 years is not a good a good deal. Also get a vest type and not the shirt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for the reply, means a lot :)
I have noticed a hole low down in the rev range, a big dip, I'd love to get that taken outta the Ecu. I'm here in the UK and not sure of any tuning companies that can do it. I think we have dynojet, not sure if I can do it myself with a power commander. I'll look into it some more.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ez could tell you more. But I know the 2ndari butterflies have to come out on a gen 1.
I have a good 30 year friend that used to race MOTO GP.. 8 time National Superbike Champion. Hes older like me and retired from that but still runs a riding school ana has been working on bikes since he was 12. Hes out of New Zealand but if you need we can get that ECU flashed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just in general lol above 6k rpm thing wants to launch me into low earth orbit. Ashamed to say I don't have the bottle to keep it pinned to the redline. I've tried. I hear it does 150mph in 3rd at the limiter but the force is so much that my helmet feels like it's going to come off lol.

I do need to look into this butterfly mod because the low down dip in the power delivery is frustrating. My bro has a Triumph Speed Triple 1050R and his just bolts off the line like a crosser, mine I have to wait, wait a bit more, waaait ah here she comes then it's hold on right.

·
Administrator
58,802 Posts
Thanks for the reply, means a lot :)
I have noticed a hole low down in the rev range, a big dip, I'd love to get that taken outta the Ecu. I'm here in the UK and not sure of any tuning companies that can do it. I think we have dynojet, not sure if I can do it myself with a power commander. I'll look into it some more.
Pulling the flies and mapping the first gen bikes made a world of difference to low end power. It really wakes up the 2006 / 2007's without making the bike any more difficult to ride.
But you might not find the exact fuel map for that mod. The shaft is still left in after removing the flies could create some unwanted turbulence. Flashing the ecu might be a better choice plus it will make the fan come on sooner among other changes.

If you end up with the popping in the exhaust you can do the air box mod.
Air box mod is the PAIR sucking in fresh air. The control gate that is at the forward part of the valve cover, plumbs those out into the exhaust ports to refire the unspent gas.
This moves the air, which is a performance helper plus an emissions side show. Cool air comes in through the exhaust outlet. This air pressure of 14.7psi always wants to fill that pulse pressure out of the pipe.
So when you back off the throttle in the tunnel, the 14.7 rushes inside and like two thunder clouds of cold meeting hot, they pop!
If you clog the one hose with a glass marble, you will have the hardware still in place. But you will have to close the ram chamber hole where you pulled the one fresh air hose out to plug it up.
Others will tell you to plug up two hoses at the T-fitting branch. I think one closed hose will have the same effect and be a lot easier to get at. Either way, the effect is the same.

·
Premium Member
13,378 Posts
If you decide you really want it to run, I have a PCIII with a 'flies out slip-ons map and a Gipro ATRE which will remove the timing restriction in the first 3 gears. Add an adjustable ignition wheel and it's wheelies everywhere.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Wow that sounds really good! I'm in the process of sorting a full system but it's hard in the UK, I cannot find a titanium one, so looks like it's going to be a steel Delkavic one, not my first choice. I was thinking of a voodoo shorty full system but import duty isn't gonna be nice, another 30%+ on top. Found a company in UK who will do me an ecu remap but they've told me to get a full system first.

Reactions: 92Ninjas

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,573 Posts
Wow that sounds really good! I'm in the process of sorting a full system but it's hard in the UK, I cannot find a titanium one, so looks like it's going to be a steel Delkavic one, not my first choice. I was thinking of a voodoo shorty full system but import duty isn't gonna be nice, another 30%+ on top. Found a company in UK who will do me an ecu remap but they've told me to get a full system first.
Might as well take the secondary butterflies out while you're at it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
This company said they can remove them I guess digitally with the remap. Do I still need to go in and remove them manually or can I rely on the remap to take care of this?

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,573 Posts
This company said they can remove them I guess digitally with the remap. Do I still need to go in and remove them manually or can I rely on the remap to take care of this?
From my understanding, if they "digitally" remove them; which is not a physical removal, to be clear; they allow the secondaries to open up 100% with the main throttle body. This removes the factory limitation of the bike and you regain power everywhere. Especially the top end. So, you have access to all of the 190+ RWHP that the 14r is rated for. Not just a small portion of it. From what I've heard, read on the forums and watched on the youtubez; you'll have a completely different bike to ride with it being unrestricted.

The physical removal of the secondaries further improves on the "digital" removal. By removing the plates and shaft, you gain more volume for the air to travel through and remove the mass that the air has to travel around.

@Hammerhead can you detail how the drive-ability of your bike was impacted before and after the secondaries were removed? I don't want to speculate on it since I still have the secondaries installed on my 10r

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
That's practically sold me on getting a full zorst system n remap lol 😁

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
the same here, when i had the zx14 after a 52 mile run i would be in pain my knees were killing me but when i rode the vulcan it was a delight i think getting old was the culprit
very true, indeed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I must say in my case, packing the panniers, struggling with leathers, fighting high wind, no practice and straight into a 2hr ride finished me off. Since then I've done similar rides and no issue, so I'm my case at least practice got me through and now I could complete that ride with less than half the fatigue I got first time.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts