Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Got a 07 plate ZZR1400, love it. Spent a lot of money on new carbon infill givi panniers, givi frame for it, I then booked a 7 day holiday only 112 miles away with the thought of doing a bit of touring.

I stopped after 60 mile for lunch, and then finished the journey, and I'm fooked lol.

Legs, arms, hands, feet, killing me. Energy completely spent, ruined yesterday had to sleep when I landed.

I thought this bike was a sports tourer? I feel like I've gone 12 rounds with Mike Tyson.

There was strong wind on way here and maybe my boots a bit tight, but that doesn't explain why I was so exhausted after the ride.

Is it me? Is it my bike? Is it the kit? Am I a wuss haha. Can't believe this. I've gone gym for years, done lots of cycling too, but I'm suffering exhaustion after a ride over 80 miles.

Does anyone else suffer this? Or anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2010 ZX-14
366 Posts
You only rode 112 miles? How old are you? You may have to check with your doctor to find out why you are exhausted after a 80 miles ride.

I am 66 years old, six feet four inches. My only exercise is the walk from the couch to the fridge.

I rode from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Deals Gap/the Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina. I traveled 1,801 miles in total, with one overnight stay each way. For comfort, I added a Throttlemeister cruise control.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm 46. I'm just finding it hard work on the bike. Boots are responsible for my foot pain, hands do kill on bars but I have small bar end weights so maybe vibration is wearing them down, I'll go back to heavy bar weights and see if that helps.

I was maintaining 100mph for best part of 90 minutes in really strong wind but I arrived shattered.

My riding kit might not be helping me, cruise control would defo be useful, I'll look into that.

Thanks.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Reactions: Old-n-fast

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,606 Posts
I did 160 mile round trip with pillion on a zx11 about 10 years ago. No saddle bags. Just a backpack with drinks. That would put me in my early 20's when I did that jaunt.

Reactions: ThePowster

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
I'm 71. My longest day on the ZX-14 was 750 miles. Could have ridden further, but I hate riding after dark. I actually feel worse (stiffer, mostly) after a long car ride.
I must say my ZX-14 was customized ergonomically for my personal tastes and fit-Tubular handlebar, foam grips, lowered pegs, lowered seat and larger windscreen. But if I couldn't ride 100 miles without pain, I'd take up shuffleboard. Went that far yesterday on a local loop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have added, perhaps, that this was my first long ride on the bike. New kit may need breaking in too.

I'm more comfortable on twisties funnily enough than I am on the motorways.

Just expected the ZX-14 to be comfortable in standard trim, maybe a few more rides under me belt and this fatigue will pass.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm 71. My longest day on the ZX-14 was 750 miles. Could have ridden further, but I hate riding after dark. I actually feel worse (stiffer, mostly) after a long car ride.
I must say my ZX-14 was customized ergonomically for my personal tastes and fit-Tubular handlebar, foam grips, lowered pegs, lowered seat and larger windscreen. But if I couldn't ride 100 miles without pain, I'd take up shuffleboard. Went that far yesterday on a local loop.
Jesus. 750 miles? I have done one stint of that in a truck and ran out of energy. You must be an alien.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Phew.. Pleased to hear it lol. Not the bike then, maybe the conditions. Sound.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just turned 21. Most I ever did in a day on my 7 was about 600 miles. It hurt but I did it. I did about 800 miles in a day last summer on my VFR but that was probably much better equipped to do it. I find my body has to acclimate to riding. I can’t just get on and do a big ride having done no long-distance all year. It always takes me a while to get in the groove.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome guys, appreciate hearing how you've got on. I was starting to worry if it was the bike lol. This is only my second big ride of the year. I'll start n build it up slowly n hopefully that's me sorted. Just gotta make sure I can keep my licence now lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like you were s bit nervous or anxious. That will cause your body to be tense all over, which will result with what you are feeling. Try to get in more of a confident relaxed state before riding that distance
. If this is a new bike to you try riding in town for a while until you get comfortable with the way the bike responds to a bunch of different situations. The more you know your bike the more confident you will be and that will make any ride more enjoyable.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Awesome guys, appreciate hearing how you've got on. I was starting to worry if it was the bike lol. This is only my second big ride of the year. I'll start n build it up slowly n hopefully that's me sorted. Just gotta make sure I can keep my licence now lol.
That reminds me - are you wearing earplugs? I find that not wearing them on long rides has a massive effect as well.

Reactions: ThePowster

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys thanks for the replies.

Interesting with the anxious / nervous suggestion, while I didn't feel I was either there's a chance I could have been, unfamiliar fast roads, high wind, lots of traffic, so that is possible. I'll try and be mindful next time I ride and see if I can sense how I'm feeling. Sometimes ya so focused on being safe it's quite possible ya all locked up, great ill check this, thanks.

I've had this bike almost a year, not done this kinda distance before, usually around 50 mile blasts for fun, this time was almost 3 times that distance in high winds.

I live in Mansfield, Nottingham in the UK. You may have heard of Robin Hood? Sheriff of Nottingham? I live in that area, not far from the Major Oak.

It's again really gloomy today, high winds, going to go out in this on purpose to see how I go, maybe limit the ride to an hour.

Yep I use ear plugs, have comms, nav, INXS playing while riding about lol. I've had R1's, Blades in the past but I've had a decade off from riding and came back to it almost a year ago.

I'm hoping I'll acclimatise to this distance riding, mentally and physically, and maybe I just bit off a bit more than I could chew first big ride out. I just assumed, it's a ZX-14, it should get me to the moon n back in total comfort, and that's not been the case lol.

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,606 Posts
All a possibility. You have to be relaxed and alert simultaneously. It's a hyper sport bike. I'm not sure how aggressive the ergonomics are on a zx14r. You don't want to lock up your arms and/or put your weight on them. Arms should be bent/relaxed while riding. Yet, keeping a firm enough grip on the handle bars.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Jesus. 750 miles? I have done one stint of that in a truck and ran out of energy. You must be an alien.
I could have easily done 1000 that day, but I was home and I hate riding after dark. I know a few iron butt types, but the actual miles are irrelevant compared to the travel and destinations. As Peter Egan said, "Nobody cares how many miles you do."

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
I really don't try to rack miles, but I like to go places. The Deal's Gap area is 600 miles from here and there's no way I'll two-day that. Been there 4 or 5 times and it's always a day ride down and a day back home.
This is from the last trip down. It was taken about 20 miles from my destination in Robbinsville at the end of my day.

Somewhere I have pics of my ZZR 1200 and my ZX-14 in the same situation-loaded down and headed for the end of the trip. It's tough to look stylish when you're tired.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm 46. I'm just finding it hard work on the bike. Boots are responsible for my foot pain, hands do kill on bars but I have small bar end weights so maybe vibration is wearing them down, I'll go back to heavy bar weights and see if that helps.

I was maintaining 100mph for best part of 90 minutes in really strong wind but I arrived shattered.

My riding kit might not be helping me, cruise control would defo be useful, I'll look into that.

Thanks.

View attachment 21674
Exhaust drone from teeny mufflers gets old and causes headaches.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you set the bike up? Or are you just riding it as you got it?

Rotate the brake and clutch levers so they fall under your outstretched fingers and your wrist is flat. Adjust the brake pedal and gear shifter so they are just under your foot when your ankles are relaxed.

Sit on the bike as if you are finding and check the reach to the handlebars. If it isn't natural you will have to find some way to adjust them. Similarly are the bars too high, or too low? Are the footpegs in a comfortable spot? If not, you'll need to find some way to adjust them.

Have you set the suspension for your weight and riding style? While not a direct bearing, a bike that you don't have to fight is less fatiguing.

Are you hanging on to the handlebars too tight? Relax, and use your knees to grip the tank.

My wife has just had both knees replaced (this time last year). We set the bike up, and got Dave Moss to do a remote tune. She finds it easy to ride, and is travelling further each time as her new knees settle down.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts