Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who wears sunglasses when they ride and is there any that anyone would recommend?

In the past, I always had a smoked shield on my helmet, but I want to go one complete season only using clear and see how it is. I like not having to worry about when I'm going to be heading back and not knowing if I'm going to be able to see.

So I want to get a decent pair of sunglasses that fit into the helmet good...

Any suggestions?

Or post up what you use/prefer?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I always wear sunglasses when I ride. And I even wear them inside a tinted shield during the day.

I currently wear Oakley xx titaniums, the fit great, the only problem is that the arms (titanium remember) do not bend when going into the helmet, so you have to put your helmet 1/2 on, slide the goggles in and pull them down the rest of the way together.

Glasses before that were Oakley StraighJackets. They are my backups, and equally great inside the lid.

Get something that forms well to your eye socket (I simply prefer Oakleys for that reason), and with a flexible arm b/c you never really realized how much the arm needs to flex to get into your proper fitting helmet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
beansbaxter said:
Who wears sunglasses when they ride and is there any that anyone would recommend?

In the past, I always had a smoked shield on my helmet, but I want to go one complete season only using clear and see how it is. I like not having to worry about when I'm going to be heading back and not knowing if I'm going to be able to see.

Any suggestions?

I swear by sunglasses. I won't leave the house without them on. I wear a light smoke tint visor and med tint shades. At night I just don't wear my shades and it's not a big deal. Almost like looking out of a lightly tinted car window while driving. I've thought about just going with a clear visor and dark sunglasses, but that IMO just doesn't look good. Lets face it, we all want to look good while riding. :cool That's half the fun. It looks a little goofy IMO.

What shades do I recommend. At that point it's all personnal opinion and brand loyalty. I have none. :wink Any pair of med tint shades that "wrap around" work for me. Cycling glasses are awesome because they're made to protect your eyes at semi high speeds. The more you spend, the better quality you get. Just like anything else.

Also, make sure the ends that go over your ears are covered and soft to the touch. I bought a set of cycling glasses that had really hard ends that would litteraly cut and scratch the sides of my heads when I tried putting them on through my helmet. Very Painful!!

Hope this helps out man. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I always wear sunglasses when I ride during the day. Sun glare is just too much. As for a brand, I just go for what ever looks good on me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
sunglasses

i wear gargoyles cause they fit well, probally dont look as cool as a fella wearing oaks but they keep the wind outta the eyes. now here is some stupid crap for ya'll.

in the last month weve lost 4 local bike riders here in town. So this means its hard to ride a bike thru town now(read as police harrassment @ all time high) Tuesday on my way home i passed the motocycle cop. he turned around and pulled me over. Can you believe he inspected my bike front to back., ran registration & insurance. i ride clean so he was pissed of course. the dude wrote me a ticket for rolling with the visor up. he said it was improper use of equipment. $85.00.
I'm going to court on this one.

R.I.P Tony Hall , James Heath, Randy Earwood, Courtney Smith:angry

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You can actually get fined for riding with your visor up? I've never heard of that...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Swoosh said:
You can actually get fined for riding with your visor up? I've never heard of that...
yea. They have the same rules here in Tucson. :thefinger Which makes NO sense to me. Arizona is a no helmet law state, but yet if your riding with a full face helmet, the visor has to be down or else your getting a ticket. Things that make you go ... HUMMMMMMMM. All I do is ride with it cracked an inch or so.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Just about everyone up here in the north rides with em up, until you go faaaast. That sucks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
beansbaxter said:

Any suggestions?

I went to Home Depot and got some safety glasses. They are shatterproof and they look good too. Mine are mirrored lenses, plastic frames $19.00! I also bought a pair in clear for riding at night.

·
Registered
54 Posts
cccagle30 said:
<SNIP>...the dude wrote me a ticket for rolling with the visor up. he said it was improper use of equipment. $85.00.
I'm going to court on this one.
That is absolute bullshit!!! I would HATE to have to go to court over some ticky-tack crap like that! I hope you win...:banghead

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Those are kinda neat. Might have to invest in one of those. Been caught in the dark a few times, and it sucks when you only have a smoked shield on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts