Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't come across this subject as of yet with a real solution. So I figured I would post my findings.
If you own a ZX7R and want to do away with the ignition, wether it be for track application or just do use a toggle instead of a key you will need to do the following.
For this mod you will need:
wire strippers, crimpers, a few female spade connectors, one 25 amp toggle switch and an 100ohm 2watt resistor.
and a roll of electrical tape

for street application you will use all five wires attached to the ignition

brown =
white = 12v+
red = left lighting
blue= right lighting
grey = cdi

You attach the white wire to one side of the switch.
To the other side you attach the brown, blue and red wires ( all together).
Then you seperate the insulation on the brown wire exposing the copper.
wrap one side of the resistor around the exposed wire and tape it off.
then attach the other side to the grey wire.
the resistor is multi directional so it doesnt matter what side you use.

Thats it. hit the toggle swith and the bike gets power, hit the starter button and the bike will start.

for track application. JUST DELETE THE USE OF THE RED AND BLUE WIRES.

You dont need lights on the track

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I've thought about going that route, since I don't really use my bike for errands anymore, especially to any big box stores or anything out of sight beyond the post office or work.

But then I am planning a couple trips next summer that will require hotel time. That idea with keyless ignition freaks me out.

Josh

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel your concern, but look at it this way, YOU will only know where the toggle is and you can use a rotor lock. Acool trick you might want to consider is you can wire the the grey in series with the KILL/ dead man switch on the hand conctrols. and that could be your toggle as well. eithe way.
I've thought about going that route, since I don't really use my bike for errands anymore, especially to any big box stores or anything out of sight beyond the post office or work.

But then I am planning a couple trips next summer that will require hotel time. That idea with keyless ignition freaks me out.

Josh

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I feel your concern, but look at it this way, YOU will only know where the toggle is and you can use a rotor lock. Acool trick you might want to consider is you can wire the the grey in series with the KILL/ dead man switch on the hand conctrols. and that could be your toggle as well. eithe way.
I think the majority of stolen bikes are just hoisted onto trailers, vans or trucks rather than hotwired anyways.

And it just takes one eagle eyed dip-wad to see you're not using a key.

But my ignition switch had given me fits 2 years ago, so eliminating it and cleaning up the upper triple looks appealing. Probably on my bucket list of things to do.

Josh

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is all i have. i will take more detailed pics this afternoon. the button to the left of the scotts damper is my starter. as it being a track bike, I dont need the hand controls so I deleted them all together

Awesome post dude.

Do you have any pics of your ignition switch after this mod?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the yellow w/ red tracer wire is the dead man switch. I have to find a place to mount it. thats why the wire is just hanging there.
this is all i have. i will take more detailed pics this afternoon. the button to the left of the scotts damper is my starter. as it being a track bike, I dont need the hand controls so I deleted them all together

1 - 9 of 9 Posts