Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here rides with GPS on their motorcycles? Do you use it when your on your street bike and/or your dirtbike? I know some Goldwings have them built in, and I've seen portable GPS units...

What kind of GPS do you have? What kind of bike is it on? How is it mounted?

Pics are helpful.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was going to mount a Magellan 2200T, it was a nice slim unit, and it was waterproof. I ended up returning it though, because my homeowners taxes and insurance went up about 3,000/year.

There's a good review of a Tom Tom Rider here http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/tomtom-rider/

There are supposed to be some with touchscreens designed for gloved hand use. I've heard of others with bluetooth so you can give voice commands from your helmet. There are a lot of options for motorcycles now, you don't have to go the DIY route with car units. Even though the car units are usually cheaper, you may want to just get a waterproof car unit and rig a mount.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use a Lowrance IFinder mapping GPS. I bought it with the software so I can make maps and load them on it. The maps have great road detail, even on the logging roads! New software is also topo. It has gas stations, resturaunts, and all kinds of shit like that. It has a flat back and I simply stuck velcro on the back of it and then where ever I want to mount it. This unit with the software was under $200. Routes, trails and maps can be saved on SD cards. My wife has a newer IFinder, the Map and Music model that also is an mp3 player. It is working with a 1gig card in it.

Upper triple clamp velcro on the ZX-12r. This setup does not obstruct ANY of the gages and is solid enough to use all the buttons while riding. Its nice to see all the corners on coming up on un-familiar roads.

Mount on the DR-650

Free Image Hosting

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've got a Streetpilot 2610 and had mounted it on my ZX-12R. On Wednesday I'm going to have it mounted on my current ride: a Pan European.
I like a nav sys very much: make a nice route at home, upload it to the gps and just follow the instructions. No more hassle with charts.
The downside: I now always must ride upfront and lead the way. This means amongs other things that you're gonna be the first entering speedtraps ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a new Garmin Nuvi 350, preloaded US / CA maps and it's the size of a deck of cards. Used in car, on bike (06' 6R), or in hand... great deal!

For those wondering, it's suction cup actually works very well on the farthest forward point of the tank, near the triple tree with a strap as backup (A must). You can also mount it with a 3rd party mount right to the center of your triple tree if you are not using a damper.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was going to mount a Magellan 2200T, it was a nice slim unit, and it was waterproof. I ended up returning it though, because my homeowners taxes and insurance went up about 3,000/year.

There's a good review of a Tom Tom Rider here http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/tomtom-rider/

There are supposed to be some with touchscreens designed for gloved hand use. I've heard of others with bluetooth so you can give voice commands from your helmet. There are a lot of options for motorcycles now, you don't have to go the DIY route with car units. Even though the car units are usually cheaper, you may want to just get a waterproof car unit and rig a mount.
How does a GPS unit cause your home taxes and insurance to go up?

·
Registered
60 Posts
That was a pretty good play on words, as it threw me too at first. ...but then I realized, GPS cost money and if it were getting a GPS or keeping the house, I'd probably pick the house too.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Two thoughts.... has anyone looked at using the Garmin 2820 or is cost prohibited? and second.... I see most people are mounting their GPS on the handlebars, forks, clamps, etc.. is there an advantage for fitment on the forks over the body or just convenient fitment?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I ordered the Garmin 2820 GPS this week and received my new Nolan (Bluetooth) Helmet yesterday.

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
I ordered the Garmin 2820 GPS this week and received my new Nolan (Bluetooth) Helmet yesterday.
cool let us know what you think of it:smile

·
Registered
368 Posts
Had a short 120 mile or so ride today up the coast but long enough to know that I really like the Nolan N102 helmet. Pros: Good fit and feel, light, low road noise, flip up feature a bonus, great strap connector system, love the sun shade visor, and comfortable around the ears even with ear buds in and they don't get smashed into my head. Cons: It came with a whistle; only slightly irritating; by moving my head slightly up or down or right/left off of center, it goes away. Hardly notice it when tunes are playing. Only other thing is now my wife wants one. hahaha It's not as good a fit or as light as my $600 Shoei, but pretty darn good for only $317. I'll be sending it to J&M Audio later this month for installation of their Bluetooth Comms system.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Had a short 120 mile or so ride today up the coast but long enough to know that I really like the Nolan N102 helmet. Pros: Good fit and feel, light, low road noise, flip up feature a bonus, great strap connector system, love the sun shade visor, and comfortable around the ears even with ear buds in and they don't get smashed into my head. Cons: It came with a whistle; only slightly irritating; by moving my head slightly up or down or right/left off of center, it goes away. Hardly notice it when tunes are playing. Only other thing is now my wife wants one. hahaha It's not as good a fit or as light as my $600 Shoei, but pretty darn good for only $317. I'll be sending it to J&M Audio later this month for installation of their Bluetooth Comms system.
I love those helmets. Planning on picking one up next week.
http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/n102graphics/39-6950

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
check if holding your hand flat under your chin removes the whistle ...... if it does, try a fog off set

1 - 20 of 20 Posts