Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to bolt up an aftermarket exhaust onto my GPz, and I recall, back in my muscle car days, it was considered gospel to wrap just the headers with that insulating 'tape' (for lack of a better term) in order that the heat from the exhaust doesn't dissipate near the engine, but is driven farther down the line, therefore more efficiently pulling the fuel/air charge into the combustion chambers. Q: Is anyone still doing this on their bikes? I'm thinking of it, and can see the benefit (especially in keeping the heat away from my legs) but wonder if it's somehow not a good idea for a bike, in general. Let me know your thoughts.....

DW

·
Registered
201 Posts
The tape you are talking about holds alot of moisture when it gets wet. Therefore with that being said your pipes will be more prone to rot out depending what they are made of! :crazyloco

·
Registered
131 Posts
I put some on my last bike.......didnt have any regrets doing it because nothing went wrong. I also have a friend with an new R1 with his system wrapped with no damage. If you do put them on I dont know how familiar you are with them but it will smoke and smell for awhile because the fiberglass strips are just getting broken in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts