Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for a soap box episode.........

As I sit and ponder what to do next with my new bikes I always seem to get angry at the same things. Motorcycle companies put a ton of cash and R&D in to the next latest greatest thing on two wheels, but they always seem to leave a few things out. In recent years we have mono-block brake calipers, wave rotors for better cooling, GP style swing arms are standard, we have lap timers on our bikes, we now get USD forks standard issue, Fuel Injection. The list could go on for pages and pages.

Why do we still get crappy a$$ brake lines? Why? Why? Why? :angry :headscratch

Why do we still have foot pegs that fold? Race bike foot pegs are solid to help protect your bike during a crash. How does this not befit the street rider who has to deal with gravel during turns?:headscratch

It seems to me that braided brake lines might ad $10 bucks to the cost of a new bike, considering the #'s that are produced. I would much rather pay $10 more dollars and have them than to pay $70-$80 bucks for aftermarket.

GRRRRRRRR!:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :evil

Anyone else?

·
Registered
275 Posts
hmm good idea, im gonna get non folding pegs. But how hard are the brake lines to install? Would i be better off paying he dealing to do it while it is in for service

·
Registered
379 Posts
hmm good idea, im gonna get non folding pegs. But how hard are the brake lines to install? Would i be better off paying he dealing to do it while it is in for service
Braided hoses are great and not that difficult to fit but if you are not very and i mean VERY careful, you will mess fluid all over and end up having to repaint the ride. If that shit gets onto your bike in any way, you have lovely streaks as it eats the paint away.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Time for a soap box episode.........

As I sit and ponder what to do next with my new bikes I always seem to get angry at the same things. Motorcycle companies put a ton of cash and R&D in to the next latest greatest thing on two wheels, but they always seem to leave a few things out. In recent years we have mono-block brake calipers, wave rotors for better cooling, GP style swing arms are standard, we have lap timers on our bikes, we now get USD forks standard issue, Fuel Injection. The list could go on for pages and pages.

Why do we still get crappy a$$ brake lines? Why? Why? Why? :angry :headscratch

Why do we still have foot pegs that fold? Race bike foot pegs are solid to help protect your bike during a crash. How does this not befit the street rider who has to deal with gravel during turns?:headscratch

It seems to me that braided brake lines might ad $10 bucks to the cost of a new bike, considering the #'s that are produced. I would much rather pay $10 more dollars and have them than to pay $70-$80 bucks for aftermarket.

GRRRRRRRR!:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :evil

Anyone else?
this would be a nice addition indeed!!! at least the 07 zx6r has a radial mounted master cylinder though

·
Registered
101 Posts
The main reason for folding footpegs on street bikes is that they will touch down before a proper set of race pegs. Race pegs are generally short stubby things that aren't likely to touch down until absolute maximum lean but they aren't as practical for keeping the feet in contact with the peg over potholes and such like that you find on the street. I'm sure we've all had times when we've had a foot slip off the peg but it would happen far more often with race pegs on the road.

Without folding pegs your average street rider would end up lifting the rear wheel off the road and going down on their arse every time the peg touched down. It's a compromise thing.

Fully agree with you about the braided hose issue though - makes no sense on a supersport bike.

My own pet hate is that every street bike should be fitted with a fuel gauge. The warning light is so small on the '07 that if like me you have to look through the screen to see it it's very easy to miss. Okay so the odo starts flashing FUEL at you but that in itself is also annoying as you then have no mileage reading to gauge remaining fuel by. Having to cycle through the display modes to get the milage back is a right pain if you're on a freeway and therefore having to do it on the move.

·
Registered
494 Posts
this would be a nice addition indeed!!! at least the 07 zx6r has a radial mounted master cylinder though
The master cylinder is inside the lever... it's not radially mounted.

The brake calipers are radially mounted though.

Stainless steel brake lines are generally not fitted from factory because they are not DOT approved. And getting them DOT approved costs basically several hundred thousand dollars per year per model. It's more cost effective to just fit rubber lines - which will have the same performance for the first couple of years until they start to deteriorate. At which point you're supposed to change them (every 4 years). If you're going to change them anyways, I vote you switch to braided lines. But personally (and speaking as a mechanic here) I'm going to leave the rubber lines until it comes time to replace them.

As for pegs.... personally, when I touch I peg on the street I want to make damn sure that it's not going to touch, scrape and lever my front tire or rear tire off the ground. That's and instant highside.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to have to disagree with the footpeg thing. I do so because I am an ex-racer/track day guy. When I originally started racing I had stock pegs and they would touch down all of the time. When I became a little more serious I switched to race rearsets *which I never touched down*. If I ever touch a set of race rearsets down on the street it will be too late to save anyway because I will have already started a low side. Just my .02 worth

And with respect to the brake line deal. If cheap rubber hoses can pass inspection and be approved so can kevlar or SS braided lines for no more money.

**Flame suit on**:eek:hno

·
Registered
102 Posts
The master cylinder is inside the lever... it's not radially mounted.
are you sure about that??? is this something different then??

Your fierce desire to stop is translated to the calipers via a radial-pump master cylinder that provides excellent feel.

that is from this article a review on the 07 zx6r. Im still learning a lot of stuff so thats why im asking.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/kawasaki/2007-kawasaki-ninja-zx6r-full-report-30002.html

11 paragraphs down is where it states this.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am going to have to disagree with the footpeg thing. I do so because I am an ex-racer/track day guy. When I originally started racing I had stock pegs and they would touch down all of the time. When I became a little more serious I switched to race rearsets *which I never touched down*. If I ever touch a set of race rearsets down on the street it will be too late to save anyway because I will have already started a low side. Just my .02 worth
Not sure if you're disagreeing with myself or zix so I'll try to clarify my point.

Race rearsets would mean a riding position which is even more cramped than normal and it's the extra clearance / shorter peg which seriously reduces the chances of getting it down. The more extreme riding position would be considered by many to be too much for serious road mileage.

This puts us in the position where the increased likelyhood of touching the peg down needs to be dealt with by means of the folding peg as like you say, touching a fixed peg down would result in a lowside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts