Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new to riding and I'm about to get my first bike (not including a 50cc moped :rotflmao ).

I'm 21 years old and was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction between the two bikes. I won't be using the bike for track days or going to work or anything like that, just Sunday afternoons etc.

So, a ZX636 B1H or a ZX6rr??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Definately a 636 for road riding, the RR is purely a track biased bike really.

Just go easy on it if you're only used to a 50cc moped.

I'd also imagine the insurance will be pretty steep for a 21 year old in London, don't scrimp on it, as you may live to regret it.

I've always gone fully comp as you never know what could happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Rich,

Sorry, I didn't actually say I have raced Motocross for 10 years and ride a 450, so I'm used to bikes (to a certain extent anyway lol). But, you're defintaley right about taking it easy, and don't worry, I will. :)

Thanks for your advice. What do you mean about track baised bikes? What makes it more track baised?

Insurance isn't actually too bad, to my surpise. £630 a year on a ZX636 B1H. It is only Third Party insurance though, so could be a bit of a bad idea? I think it was around £1,500 fully comp, but I can't afford that on top of my car insurance (£2,500 lol!!).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Track Biased from the ZX6r to 636 is mostly the engine and a slipper cluth (although the 05 636 has a slipper cluth aswell). The 636 has a bigger engine so has more power lower down in the rev range (where you use it and need it on the road, where as the 6R is more revvy where you use it more at the track). Also the suspension as standard on the 6r will be firmer for the smoother Track surface that it will be running on. I think there are afew internal engine differances like a piston rod,crank but nothing major and only to do with supersport racing really.

The only thing is the front end can be abit flighty and on the B1 model the rear is Harsh so on bumby roads it can give your kidneys a pounding!!.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Darkwaknight. :)

I'm used to the pounding from motocross, so shouldn't be much of a problem. lol

Looks like it's going to be the 636 then.

Is there a better year to go for? Or is it simply the newer the better?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personal opinion would be a 2005 or 2006 model.

I've got an '06 myself and love it, it's really down to what you can afford, but if you have the choice then as above.

I like the look of the '07 model too, although it's now a 600 not 636, when I first saw pictures of it in Kawasaki's magazine I wasn't sure but it's really grown on me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As Rich says Golf! 05 or 06 are the best (both same part from 06 come in lovely black had I known I would have waited a year and got the 06 but hey ho!!). The 07 has a nicer rear but i dont like the front as much and the engine is 599 now. Just really what you want!!

I would love to do motocross is it as much fun as it looks? Only off road I did was as a kid on a DT125 buggering around on fields, would be cool to give it a go now and it improves your machine control so I am told!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Golf, I'd forget the 6RR and go with the 636. I'd say give models from both year's a test ride. I actually prefer the '03/'04 to ride and look at. I just love the sharper, angular look and it feels as though you sit right over the front wheel which is more agressive but then again I like bikes that feel more "on the edge!".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts