Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I want to tidy up my bike a bit and spray a few parts. I was going to paint the side fairing brackets, nose fairing brackets and the pillion handles. All these parts are black and I want to repaint them the same colour. I don’t have access to powder coating or compressed air equipment so I guess it will have to be out of a can. I’ve never painted anything before so i’m not really sure which paint to use and how many coats etc. I’d be grateful for any advice.

Cheers

Shrapers

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I like PU, but in plastic, I would use the poliester cose is more flexible and won't ship off.

·
Premium Member
13,206 Posts
Surface prep is everything. Make sure the parts are clean and grease-free. Use a paint prep solvent after you've scuffed up the old finish with a 3M gold scuff pad. If there are nicks and scratches in the old finish, wet-sand them out before using the scuff pads. Then, use a good acrylic enamel rattle-can spray paint. Hang the parts by wires so you can coat them completely on each application of paint. Spray on a few thin coats and let dry between coats. Finally, after the last coat has dried, put the parts in an oven and bake them at 175 degrees F for 20 minutes or so and you'll have the best possible finish.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers. Will hopefully get the parts removed and sprayed this week. Not sure i'd be very popular if I used the oven though!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Worked out pretty well in the end for a first effort I think. The pillion handles had paint missing down to the metal and the front fairing brackets had some rust on them. I decided to use the sand blaster at work to take them all back to the metal so I could get a more even finish and not put paint straight on the metal. I used two coats of primer and 6 of acrylic paint. I think I put it on a bit thick at the end as I had a small run on one of the brackets but luckily its the underside so it won't be visible.

I think I should have sanded the primer a bit as well as when you look really close you can see its not perfectly smooth. Does that sound about right?

Overall i'm happy with the result.

Hanging them up was an excellent idea. I couldn't imagine spraying them any other way!

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Surface prep is everything. Make sure the parts are clean and grease-free. Use a paint prep solvent after you've scuffed up the old finish with a 3M gold scuff pad. If there are nicks and scratches in the old finish, wet-sand them out before using the scuff pads. Then, use a good acrylic enamel rattle-can spray paint. Hang the parts by wires so you can coat them completely on each application of paint. Spray on a few thin coats and let dry between coats. Finally, after the last coat has dried, put the parts in an oven and bake them at 175 degrees F for 20 minutes or so and you'll have the best possible finish.
+1
All good stuff

Worked out pretty well in the end for a first effort I think. The pillion handles had paint missing down to the metal and the front fairing brackets had some rust on them. I decided to use the sand blaster at work to take them all back to the metal so I could get a more even finish and not put paint straight on the metal. I used two coats of primer and 6 of acrylic paint. I think I put it on a bit thick at the end as I had a small run on one of the brackets but luckily its the underside so it won't be visible.

I think I should have sanded the primer a bit as well as when you look really close you can see its not perfectly smooth. Does that sound about right?

Overall i'm happy with the result.

Hanging them up was an excellent idea. I couldn't imagine spraying them any other way!

+1
Looks good.Dont forget to clear coat all that nice work you just did.Theres a few diff kinds of clear.Flat,satin and gloss.Im assuming you want gloss clear

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
If it was an enamel black you used,midaswell get an enamel clear coat,not lacquer clear coat

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Prob too late now.You would have to go back and stuff the paint just for the clear to stick,BUT,the enamel has a recoat window of 24 hours of after 7 days,so just respray the black again,then clear coat.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
More then likely its enamel.Most spray bombs are enamel.Give the parts a light scuff with some 1200 sand paper if they have been dried for a few days,then respray black and about an hour later clear coat.As long as you dont let the color sit for days on end,you shouldnt have to sand the color coat before spray the clear,but as i said if the color has been spray days ago then you gotta sand,respray color then clear coat after about an hour.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Oh yeah!
Lots of doos and donts,chemical reactions if not done right,etc etc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts