Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have some money to spend at Best Buy. Unfortunately, the closest one is 3 hours away. I'm thinking about getting a Go Pro but only reading the Best Buy website leaves me a little overwhelmed as to which camera or package would be ideal for me. I was hoping someone here had a Go Pro and could let me know what they bought and how they like it. I'm just looking to be able to ride with it on the bikes and in the car when I get back to Colorado that way I can send pictures and videos back home of my trips etc.

Also, is it possible to take stills of the videos or is that something that requires editing software?

Thanks

·
Registered
888 Posts
Gopro motorsports edition comes with the suction mount.

gopro website has a downloable software thats enough to edit the videos, pair it up with windows movie maker and your golden

of course adobe premiere would make your videos even better.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
+1 to the motor sports edition. Make sure to get the hd one so you don't get the little black dot in the sun. You can take screen shots from a video with movie software. I know avs video editor lets you. Or you can just set the carmera to take pictures instead of video.

·
Registered
478 Posts
go pro sucks!

I have a go pro hero HD and it is a piece of shit. It used up some very expensive batteries in 12 minutes. What a waste of money it was. I went with contour HD wearable camcorder for 5 reasons.

1.It is a better and tougher unit than the go pro.
2.It has a battery pack inside.
3.It has a memory card slot and no gay suction mount that falls off.
4.It is used by the U.S. military in Afghanistan on all the bomb removal teams.
5.It is waterproof without the clear case the go pro has to have.
If the go pro was so good the military would use it!
Also the contour is cheaper by $25 bucks.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I have a go pro hero HD and it is a piece of shit. It used up some very expensive batteries in 12 minutes. What a waste of money it was. I went with contour HD wearable camcorder for 5 reasons.

must have been a dud because my battery lasts 6 hours with no problem. were you not useing the battery it came with?

·
Registered
888 Posts

to answer your reasons
1.) gopro has many fail videos, and dropped camera, crashes from bikes, explosions from mythbusters, research footage from nasa, even a bird stealing one. - and contour has?
2.) gopro has a battery pack and a extended battery backpac to increase the recording up to 5 hours - and the countour has?
3.) all gopro HD has a memory card slot to support 32gig SD card, and gopro's suction cup mount has been ISO verified to withstand speeds up to 200mph, and has been on the wingtip of a redbull air race plane going 400mph - if it falls on a user, most likely user error for not cleaning the surface but of course murphy's law still applies - what can go wrong will go wrong.
4.) both gopro and contour are used to film bomb patrol afghanistan by navy EOD as shown on G4tv. GOPRO has an official NVG mount that mounts directly on a warfighters helmet.. but on the show.. Contours are on helmet - gopro's are on chest, wrist, gun, exterior of vehicle, vehicle windshield. exept the EOD bot has its own HD camera that we both probably cannot afford.
5.) again, the military does use it, its also now used inside navy blueangels cockpit. Gopro waterproof case comes with every gopro while you would have to buy countour case separately.
And just so we are clear, the contour is not waterproof - it is water resistant: the difference is water resistant resist water like rain and snow but if you submerge it in water and it still works that would make it waterproof which the contour is not but can be with the additional waterproof case.

just so i dont completely prove you wrong..

you are right, the first generation gopro was a POS! and i believe that is what you are talking about.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i think go pro looks silly as sh*t on a helm,
I prefer contour, i used it for snowboarding in Banff Alberta and LOVED it, now i will have one for my motorcycle helmet (in the mail).

Also, i bought ACT20,
cheap 65$ off ebay
to my surprise - very good camera! quality is great for the price. I've read reviews and tested it myself. if you're looking for something that will good enough quality and not spend a lot of money, i would recommend getting this one.

ContourHD going on my helmcam
ACT20 going in my car

1 - 9 of 9 Posts