Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1993 ZX7

I am carb cleaning, block off plates, float bowl mod, carb sync, and rejetting with a Factory Pro jet kit this Sunday.

I have Full Muzzy exhaust, with D&D pipe on it, +4 advancer, 15/45 gearing, and a Uni? air filter, remove air screen, at sea level.

What are your opinions on where I should start with jet size etc?

150,160,160,150?
160,170,170,160?

Float height? 15mm

Needle height? FP kit says 3 positions down with 2 shims on top to eliminate needle float

Idle screws? FP kit says 2 turns out

Thanks

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
To start:

I would go with the 160 170 jet stagger, idle 2-2.5 turns out. Floats set to 13mm.

Then fine tune. You shouldn't have to go bigger than 180 on the jets IMO. The needles should be close between clip 2 and clip 3. It wouldn't surprise me if you end up with clip 2 with a washer under for basically clip position 2.5.

The factory pro way is pretty good details a decent way to set each circuit.

It's all a ballpark without the dyno, but don't sweat it.

Josh

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
First of all the stock jets for a 93 are 170/190, so I would probably start with those since he is also doing the float bowl mod. After the float bowl mod, some bikes actually run too rich at WOT so I would start with stock and work from there.
Float height is an adjustment but I prefer to check the individual fuel levels in the bowls because it is much more accurate. With all the floats set the same the fuel level can vary quite drastically (5-6mm). When they are set from the factory, they set fuel level not float height because of the variation. I usually check the fuel levels before removing the carbs, then check the float heights after removing the bowls. Whatever the fuel level is out by, I adjust the float height to equal all the levels. Just my $.02.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
First off follow the FP directions. Keep your float level where it is till you have a chance to test after the kit is installed. Now use the 160,170,170,160 jets as you have a pipe and a filter. 3 clips from the top is a good starting point so try there. You stock float height should be roughly 13mm so if you feel the need to change it only go to 14mm as a base line. Fuel level in the bowls is a better idea though a pain to do.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sooooo, I thought my bike was stock other than the full exhaust but its not making things more complicated for me.

It has all 160 jets, emissions removed already, but I think the float bowl mod has not been done. It has a K&N air filter with screen in place. Float height was high, I forget but like 16.5mm I think. One of the diaphragms was pinched by the cover and has a pinhole from it. One of the fuel bowl drains is JB welded shut, awesome!

I don't know whats supposed to be here where the screws in the hoses are.

Breather filter from the air box?

This part of the airbox is loaded with silicone.

I was like what is this duct tape for?

It looks like they may modified the airbox to maybe remove the air filter without removing the airbox from the bike?

I am removing these and putting aluminum block off plates.

Where is a good place I can get an exploded parts view of the bike to find out what I am missing?

·
Premium Member
6,538 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
You're supposed to be able to slide the filter out the side like that and that piece should just snap over it. Must be too loose.

That crankcase breather needs to go. There is a hose that goes from the PCV to the back of the airbox.

Josh

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're supposed to be able to slide the filter out the side like that and that piece should just snap over it. Must be too loose.
It looks like they cut out extra around it. Think it's ok to just re-tape it?

That crankcase breather needs to go. There is a hose that goes from the PCV to the back of the airbox.
Josh
So just when I remove the breather and straight tube it, or put back the factory valve that goes there?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the float bowl mod was already done, damn it. I was hoping for big boost in power from it and jetting it correctly. Either way I don't think it was tuned or setup right so I am hoping for at least a small boost.

The breather comes from the case and the top stud blocks the hose to the airbox.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
float bowl mod
Factory Pro Jet Kit
jets 160/170/170/160
needles 3rd clip down with 2 shims on top
floats 15mm
idle screw 2 turns out
uni air filter(hate it, should have bought a stock one)
air screen removed
+4 advancer
Muzzy exhaust w/D&D pipe

Need to do a carb sync still but runs good! Only problem may be I have to blip the throttle to cold start it. Feels more powerful but I may be not used to riding after the winter.:dunno

1 - 11 of 11 Posts