Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
don't know if this has been discussed lately, but i just can't help but think about it, and wonder what you all think. Considering that moto GP has reduced the engine size, could we see smaller a superbike in the future? maybe a zx8r, or maybe suzuki putting another 50cc on the gsxr750? I'm picturing the perfect compromise. I know the gsxr is close, but another 50cc and some trickle down technology could make for the best of both worlds. i love my zx10 but its fun to go fast on a slower bike sometimes. and i can see an 800cc version being closer in performance, especially if kawasaki built it! Not to mention liter bikes are getting smaller and smaller, well until the whole emissions stuff happened last year, but an 800 could help in that respect too. its a shame no one else has gotten back in the 750 class, or the possible future of the 800cc class. I realize that AMA and world superbike are still using 1000cc and greater for the twins, but i want an 800! anyone heard any rumors or have any thoughts? sorry for the rant but just wanted to hear others opinions and see if i've missed anything lately! cheers.

jeff

·
Registered
462 Posts
suzuki has already got the architecture of the 750 motor down pretty well, not to say they can't shave a little out of the sleeve, but it's pretty solid size. 800 does sound better though now that i think about it... you assume that 750 is between 600 and 1000 just because that's what everyone says... but really 800 is. it would be neat if there was a kind of middleweight "renaisance". I would love to see a new 7R (8R maybe?). the R7's never amounted to much on the racetrack and especially off it, and honda's rc45 never really went anywhere due to cost. it might get out of control with 600's 636's 675's 750's 800's 900's 929/54's 1000's. too many choices!

·
Registered
42 Posts
MotoGP going to 800cc has nothing to do with us. We cant assume that because of the change that there will be a revival of an engine size between 600 and 1000. NONE of us rode 500cc bikes for the years they raced GP with them. And as far a "trickle down" theory goes, forget it. We dont have the streetbike tech we have now because of MotoGP, or SBK. Yes there are homologation rules for SBK and the like which may steer the factories towards certain technology, but it is only speeding up what we would have gotten anyway. Its like saying we have a V-8 engine config in road cars because F-1 dropped down from a V-10.
I dont buy a bike because the engine displacement matches whats being raced. And I hope others dont either

·
Registered
462 Posts
MotoGP going to 800cc has nothing to do with us. We cant assume that because of the change that there will be a revival of an engine size between 600 and 1000. NONE of us rode 500cc bikes for the years they raced GP with them. And as far a "trickle down" theory goes, forget it. We dont have the streetbike tech we have now because of MotoGP, or SBK. Yes there are homologation rules for SBK and the like which may steer the factories towards certain technology, but it is only speeding up what we would have gotten anyway. Its like saying we have a V-8 engine config in road cars because F-1 dropped down from a V-10.
I dont buy a bike because the engine displacement matches whats being raced. And I hope others dont either
First of all, go enroll in a bike history class, then go ahead and get some etiquette classes thrown in cause how you came off is just plain offensive. This guy was just stating an opinion and you came along with your holier-than-hell attitude and just said "NO", that's not how forums work.

The most ridiculous thing to say about sportsbikes is that they don't benefit from trickledown technology. Tires, frames, suspension, brakes, everything on our bikes is the stuff of racebikes from a couple of years ago.

Stroker 101 for dumbasses...

the Suzuki RG500 Gamma, arguably one of the best early repli-racers (mimicking MOTO GP!)

the Yamaha RD500LC (also a GP wannabe for the street)

the Bimota V-Due (500cc stroker, i.e. MOTO GP)

also ran strokers (less than 500cc)...

the Honda NSR400

the Yamaha RD350 YPVS

the Honda NSR250R

the Suzuki RGV250

the Kawasaki KR-1S

the Aprilia RS125

the Yamaha TZR125

...and this is a small list of all the road going, repli-racer strokers. Kettles? the Mach series? You should see some of the customs made from these bikes. Some are insane track machines. Really I'm upset because of how ruiner came off, but I'm sure some will enjoy seeing some old MOTO GP WANNABE STROKERS.

·
Registered
462 Posts
not that a fancy paint scheme has anything to do with motorcycle tech, it just shows the factories intent to sell the image of moto gp regardless of actual technology in the bike, i just figured i'd throw these pics in cause they're fucking sexy.

·
Registered
532 Posts
+1 +1 +1 Well done oldgreenmachine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fully agree with you on this one!!!!

ALL the technology in our bikes is a trickle down from racing, "Slipper Clutches, Dual injector fuel injection, Upside down forks, etc.etc.etc", the list is endless !!!!!

I too would like that ZX8R!!!!!!! it will be the perfect bike !!!!!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
And don't forget the horn,they honk those while they're passing!

·
Registered
60 Posts
:thumbup I'd love the idea of a in between sized Kawasaki to compete with the GSXR 750.I've read in the past about what a perfect and capable racer the 750 is being that its faster than a 600 and a better bike for turns than a 1000.Can you imagine how cool it would be to have an in between bike made by Kawasaki?I'd like to see it made and would probably buy one!:thumbup

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
+1 for trac control

·
Registered
462 Posts
are you serious? traction control for the street? that sounds kindof' far fetched to me seeing as the street is such a different environment than the track. but that's just my opinion. i don't know what the big 4 have planned.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Why not traction control? If anything, the street would be a more valuable place to have it; rain, gravel, roadkill, etc. All that stuff makes the road slippery.

The trickle down list is arguably 99% of everything about your bike today including simple stuff like fairings. Besides horns, lights and signals, theres not a thing thats not from it. Otherwise we'd all be riding Harley's...

GROSS!!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Gross indeed! I'm not saying that it wouldn't be usable but is it possible. I'm sure with enough money and R&D it's possible, but do manufacturers really want to invest enough into something that might not even work?

Do some research on traction control systems on racebikes and you'll understand why I think it's unlikely. You can't really compare a track surface to the road, and the Big MGF'ers still have trouble developing systems for that smooth and consistent service, wouldn't it be a tall order to develop one for the street? With all it variables and anomalies? I'm not saying I think it's impossible, just highly unlikely. The GSX-R1000 "traction control" system is probably the closest us street riders will get.

BTW, if traction control does come to the street, count me out! I'm doing for me and by me. The bike should'nt be the hero, you should. Ya' know?

·
Registered
649 Posts
The traction control wouldn't need to be as controlling as it is on the race bikes. A mild version would probably save some lives in extreme circumstances. If I had a version like that I wouldn't have gone down in the spring when my tire spun on a cold wet paint strip. :clap

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ok, if you had a GSX-R1000, would you guys use the "C" mode ever? I sure as hell wouldn't! It may be small of me but I feel that accepting help form a bike is kind of a way of showing weakness! I would definitely leave it on the "A" mode full horses! Even in an ice rink! Wouldn't want somebody to think I'm a little girl... even though I'm getting an F4i next. That's just the downstairs inadequacy showing though.

: )

·
Registered
366 Posts
But the GSXR1000 C mode only turns down the power for n00bs. A subdued wrist does the same. But when I went down because I took a turn too fast with new tires, I might not have fallen because it would've sensed the slippage and adjusted for it. I doubt it would've saved me from my run with the gravel slightly thereafter, but one less accident is one less accident...

·
Registered
42 Posts
suzuki has already got the architecture of the 750 motor down pretty well, not to say they can't shave a little out of the sleeve, but it's pretty solid size. 800 does sound better though now that i think about it... you assume that 750 is between 600 and 1000 just because that's what everyone says... but really 800 is. it would be neat if there was a kind of middleweight "renaisance". I would love to see a new 7R (8R maybe?). the R7's never amounted to much on the racetrack and especially off it, and honda's rc45 never really went anywhere due to cost. it might get out of control with 600's 636's 675's 750's 800's 900's 929/54's 1000's. too many choices!

NO

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I knew some fire would be lit because of some of my statements, and i obviously understand that not all street machines come from moto GP, but we definitely get some of the same, i was about to talk about the 500cc machines that were all the rage, and i would still love to have one! let's also look at when the underseat exhaust came to the street, and most recently the low side exit on the suz 600, 750, and the yamaha r6-- all inspired from racing, and both created some advantages, like mass centralization, lower CG and great looks! i'm just imagining a new technology 800cc kaw, lightweight, more efficient, and cleaner running. on to the car subject, when f1 was still using v10s, bmw came out with a v10 m5/m6 and look at the press and success of those vehicles and now the new m3 will have a high strung v8, i'm not saying i would buy an 800 simply because of the racing, but i love racing, and of course i'm looking at the future coming from racing, so why not a more docile, high revving 800. not to mention the market that suzuki owns; if they had competition, the tech advances would increase significantly, and could very likely provide some new revenue to the other guys.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts