Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:hno j/k. Hey Everyone I have been really curious about how to go about a wheelie. Ive done it on my quad before and have really been interested in it latley on a street bike. Is it the same princible just rev it a little in 1st and fether the clutch and keep the rear brake covered. What would you guys say is the best way to do it. I am not going to go out and be a dumy and try it right away but ive been curious about it for a little while.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Seemed to work well for the guy who just drove by my house. If it was me I would start with a few power wheelies just to get use w/the front end being light. Considering the powerband and the gearing on these bikes, there is not much of a window there. Keep the rear brake covered, I'm sure you already knew that but just in case somebody reading this didn't.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool thanks. Do you guys think i should get a steering dampner on there first so i dont turn the bars easily by accident when i am doing it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The 636 has a very stable head as far as mine went and i didnt need one at all. Just dont turn your bars when up and also dont make like some fools the first time they get it up and grab front brakes when they want to bring it back down, it does not work hehehehehehe

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would defiantly stick with the Power Wheelie until you get comfortable going up, just a little different feeling than a Quad. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would defiantly stick with the Power Wheelie until you get comfortable going up, just a little different feeling than a Quad. Good luck and be safe.

definately true!

power wheelie in first til your comfortable, then try slipping the clutch, but take it easy cause it can jerk the hell out of you, and keep your foot over then rear brake just in case.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Cool thanks. Do you guys think i should get a steering dampner on there first so i dont turn the bars easily by accident when i am doing it.
when it comes to lofting the front wheel, a damper is only gone to help you land those tank slapper wheelies, which hopefully wont happen. check this guy out http://youtube.com/watch?v=wzAZgB_jOGY

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys quck question on a roll on power wheelie once i get about 15 mph do i just let of then grip it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
yeah ur gonna have to be high in the rpms on this bike if ur just powering,let out and gap the throttle for all it has, i just got an 07 zx6r and not really the greatest wheelie bike compared to my 06 gsxr 6 but ull catch on 1 down in the front and a couple up in the rear is a good way to bring the bottom power. n once u learn to clutch it u wont quit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yeah ur gonna have to be high in the rpms on this bike if ur just powering,let out and gap the throttle for all it has, i just got an 07 zx6r and not really the greatest wheelie bike compared to my 06 gsxr 6 but ull catch on 1 down in the front and a couple up in the rear is a good way to bring the bottom power. n once u learn to clutch it u wont quit.
When you do the 1 down in front and 2 down in back don't you lose alot of top end? is it real noticeable? does it bother you any?

·
Registered
32 Posts
u go 1 down 2 up brings the bottom end back to life and these bikes need that u do lose some top end but nuthin ur really gonna need.

·
Registered
56 Posts
bro i have been on a dirtbike since age 6 never had problems w/ power wheelies i have tried tried and tried again and nothing i dont wanna use the clutch til im comfortable cause thats alotta fucking money to be playing w/ only thing i can think of is gears.... i have watched it on you tube read forums all of it still cant ....

G

·
bro i have been on a dirtbike since age 6 never had problems w/ power wheelies i have tried tried and tried again and nothing i dont wanna use the clutch til im comfortable cause thats alotta fucking money to be playing w/ only thing i can think of is gears.... i have watched it on you tube read forums all of it still cant ....
I strongly disagree with everyone saying try a power wheelie!
When you do a power wheelie your going alot faster. With the clutch you can be goin 15-20MPH and pull it up. This is something that no one is really gonna be able to tell you how to do. It all comes with practice. When i do a clutch wheelie i just get on the gas and just "brush" the clutch. By brush i mean just a quick snap, pull it in quick and just dump it. start out with barely any gas and slowy increase the throttle as you feel more comfortable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Becareful doing first gear wheelies even if they are clutchups. The bike is very eratic in first gear......meaning that you can instantly go over backwards. Second gear clutchups are much easier to ride if you can get the wheel in the air. You also want to "slip" the clutch not pull it all the way in and dump it. Just put one or two fingers on and pull it in quickly until its free reving and at the same time give alittle fork compression......release the clutch and pull up. Im not an expert at all and im still learning but this works best for me. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I agree shifty, "clutching it" is a better way to wheelie when you have some experience with the front end being light. I think most guys are talking about crusting the front wheel and a little speed might help things stay stable. I do it sometimes when I'm cruising through a vacant parking lot and I'm not going that fast. Just keep a good grip, sit back a bit, cover the rear brake, keep your elbows loose and let the bike do the work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i cant do a power wheelie im obviously not doing it right or my bike doesnt have enough power...what do i need to do?

G

·
i cant do a power wheelie im obviously not doing it right or my bike doesnt have enough power...what do i need to do?
Trust me bro, your bike has enuff power to do a wheelie! Forget about the "power" wheelie and look at my above post about "clutching" wheelies. Get in 2nd gear, 20-35MPH, keep your foot over the back brake just incase and go for it! Be careful! Dont rush your self at learning wheelies. Take it at your own pace. It will all come with practice. someone could tel you all day how to do a wheelie but YOU getting the feel for it is the only real/best way to learn!
Good Luck!
Keep me up to date on your progress!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts