Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you wheelie kings out there I have a dilema.I own a 06 ZX10R and dont know how to do a good wheelie.Could someone give me a detailed explaination on how to do this without popping the clutch?What rpm and which gear?Maybe how to keep it from slamming down once in the air and also how to keep it from having tank slap....."that Ohlins steering stablizer is pretty useless.":headscratch

·
Registered
462 Posts
practice. with a new 10r you should be able to roll it on real easy. i could with a 97 9r so your should be a piece of cake. practice definitely helps. do them all the time. in parking lots, at the track, in suburbia, past the police station...

·
Registered
526 Posts
youtube it. Another thing, about not slamming ur tire down, u have 2 make sure u have enough room, but on ur throttle, instead of twistin it back 2 keep balance n stuff, jus stop twisting where u are, u may need 2 let loose a tad bit, and u should start comin down, when u start comin down, notice how hard u are, if ur comin down a lil hard, about half way or so, give it a tad bit more gas, not enough 2 stop it from goin down, but enough to slow the fall. until its about a foot or so off the ground is prolly when u can let go a lil. but thats mainly on long stretches like highways when ur goin maybe 70+ or so. dunno how yall guys do your wheelies, but that method always worked for me. with enough practice ull get fluid n smooth.

·
Registered
184 Posts
In 1st gear get up to 7k rpms,let-off the throttle and let the front forks recess.Then snap the throttle,it'll wheelie.
Shifting from 1st to 2nd gear,@ 11.5k to 12k rpms blip the clutch stay on the throttle and it'll raise up on you.Same goes from 2nd to 3rd same rpm range.
Both of these work for me everytime,even when I don't purposely try to.
Just make sure you have plenty of straight away road ahead of you.
I don't condone the act of riding wrecklessly,ride at your own risk and watch for others around you or possibly in your line of sight.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
+1, on what glockt said, also always cover the rear break. It will keep u from goin over. Start with power wheeelies, they are easier that clutch ones, wear full gear, ride safe.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you don't like to power up,then the only other thing to do is clutch it.
I myself don't like to get the revs up and dump the clutch to get a wheelie.
Besides the speed shift wheelie,thats the only clutch wheelies I experience.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Why don't you more experienced guys out there tell the kid how he should position himself, his arms, the way he should cover the rear brake. The difference is in the details. Come on help him out with the small things that make a difference,

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm definetly not more experienced.
My riding postion is the only postion I ride in,balls to the tank.
When I create a wheelie,I just lean more into the tank so I can see over the rise,and give more bend in the elbows.
Obviously cover the rear brake and bring it down as fast as I brought it up.
I haven't ridin one out half a block yet,I'm definetly a rookie at it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
1st gear open throttle to 3/4 and it'll come up by itself, same for 2nd gear but go WOT and at about 160k/mh it'll lift the front. 3rd it'll just lift slowly over 200 and 4th needs to be clutched.

Too dangerous in my mind for an inexperienced rider as myself.

·
Registered
288 Posts
practice, practice, practice. 23years ago when i USE, to do wheelies which was only twenty or thirty yards at the most i preffered the power wheelie. it took practice but once i got the feel for it was like clock work anytime i felt like wheeling i did. i didn't like clutching it because it was a crap shoot on how fast the front would come up in my opinion. back then i didn't know about blipping. and now that i do know about blipping and do it, i don't wheelie. getting old sucks! good luck!

·
Registered
526 Posts
blipping?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The videos that the former posts have listed are the best ones that I've seen out there for telling you HOW to wheelie.

You won't actually know how to wheelie though until you practice it. I know guys who can wheelie until the cows come home, and others who can barely get their front tire off the ground.

It's a mental game. Everyone will tell you something different. You have to find out what works for you.... yes there are some common denominators, rpm, speed, clutch or power, positioning, etc.

First you have to have balance. This is not optional. If you cannot walk down the street without falling over, then wheelies ARE NOT FOR YOU. Let's say you have balance... okay, check.

Follow the vids... work slow and easy. You won't be doing 2km stand ups tomorrow, and if you think you are.... you're going to dump. Period.

Take your time, rolling on the throttle, a little more every time. Covering the rear brake is always good advice, but try not to get used to slamming the rear brake on... fork seals aren't that expensive, but you don't want to replace them every other day, if you get what I'm saying.

If you are trying to power up, and it isn't coming up... move back in the seat a little more. Remember the balance thing... it's about balance. If you have your heavy 260lb ass sitting in front of the midpoint of the bike, it's harder to bring it up... it's physics. If you're on the midpoint, or slightly behind it... big difference. Also, don't get to the point where you are okay with bringing it up, and then decide you want to slide back 5 inches in the seat and pin it... you'll be on your back.

The practice round should be the most important.. again, don't try to go too high too fast. Get used to the bike coming up.

When you leave a light on your 10.... (with plenty of open space in front of you) accelerate steady and aggressively... the front should lift up around 7k rpm (ish)... if it doesn't, stop leaning over the windshield.

In 2nd gear at approximately 7500 rpm, let off the throttle and feel the forks compress, when they get to the bottom of compression and are about to rebound, crack the throttle, lean back a little and give a little tug on the bars... it will come up. AGAIN.. SLOWLY... and INCREMENTALLY.

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DO KILLER WHEELIES ON YOUR FIRST OR SECOND TIME OUT!!

I'm not trying to be an ass here, just trying to get it across to you that if you try to go too high, too fast, you are going to dump your bike.

Third gear you can try the same technique, but higher revs, or swipe the clutch (a flick if you will, just pulling in enough to disengage and re-engage the clutch...but get the power wheelie down first before you clutch)... or you can stand up and do the same thing, it's easier when standing up because you can pull up and lean back.... and if things start to go bad... you can use your weight and your body more to lean forward and bring the bike back down.

Remember that once you come up, you have to let off the throttle slightly (or stop twisting it). If you hold the throttle in the same position and gradually increase... guess what

When it is time to bring the tire down... make sure that you give it a little gas... this will allow the front end to essentially hold itself up, all the way down... making contact with the road much more smooth.

I don't know if this helps you much, I hope it does, and I hope you take your time trying to learn how to wheelie. I know too many who thought they could do it out of the gate... and they crashed.

Best bet... find someone that has a dirtbike you can borrow, and go out into a field (with gear on) and practice doing wheelies on that... this will allow you to understand what "balance point" means, and get the feel for how to go up and down. Just remember that your 10R is a whole lot different than a dirt bike and you'll have to adjust when you get back on it.

....and grass and dirt at 60kph hurts way less than concrete and other cars at 160kph.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:crazyloco Yesterday on my way home from work and was in 1st gear and around 7 or 8 grand I cracked the throttle a few times and got the front end up for a few feet!It was great and I was less scared than usual,I also tried the slipping the clutch thing and it work a little to well.It came up too quick but I handled it.Guess it just takes alot of practice.Im taking it slow so I should be in control of one in the next few months.When I get good I'll make a video and post it on youtube.If anyone has more tips to give,be my guest and leave some comments.THANX:crazyloco

·
Registered
184 Posts
Way to go Seth!
You get nervous leading up to that first intentional wheelie.
After you tasted it and realize your little mistakes,they all come natural afterwards.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts