Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, baseline. I'm 25. Just bought my first bike. '07 zx6r. Before this past Tuesday I had never even been on a bike. The Kawi dealer delivered it to my house and I got my permit the next day. Rode it up and down my driveway for a few days. Asphalt, about 1/2 mile long, and relatively flat. Took my first ride on a public road Friday. I LOVE it! I have never enjoyed a 10 minute drive more in my life. Put about 80 miles on it this weekend. Yes, I bought a helmet, and a jacket, and gloves. Already had good boots. I'll admit that traffic freaks me out. We had 7 or 8 moto fatalities last year. At least half were caused by cars. My buddies at work aren't dogging me for getting a six. They know I've never ridden and consider it to be an intelligent decision. Plus, they know I drive fast. I've got a 2000 Lincoln LS8 that the ricers won't even attempt to race anymore. THe bike is a different story, though. I'm being cautious, and I'm gonna take the MSF course. I like my body in one piece, not to mention the bike. Sorry, this was so long. I've already learned a lot in just a few hours of reading on this forum. Thanks for all of your information and opinions.

Chris "TheReaper"

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum and excellent choice on a first bike!!!!

But don't be fooled because it is only a "600"!!! It is still incredibly fast!!!!

I think your attitude is right, and yes, the MSF course is definately a plus for you!! Take it easy and don't let anyone push you too fast in riding the bike to it's limits!

Enjoy this forum and contribute what you can. It doesn't mean that if this is your first bike ever you can't contribute anything. Share your experiences and whatever knowledge you have or gather!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lol

:crazyloco Bring on that 2000 Lincoln LS8 I would love to smoke that thing all day long......Welcome, Ride hard and be safe
:crazyloco

Did say I am :crazyloco :crazyloco
:thefinger

·
Registered
264 Posts
Welcome bro. Sounds like you got it all together. Got the right gear, the right attitude, and the right bike!:clap Have a long and safe riding season.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thats a great choice for a bike...especially if you get into riding curves...sweepers...etc. And MSF course...you in the military?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome to the site and the zx6 community. you choose a good bike. Just remember never ride outside of your comfort level, take it slow. And in traffic you have to pay twice the amount of attention than you do in a car. DO NOT expect drivers to watch out for you. ride hard, ride safe.

·
Registered
234 Posts
DO NOT expect drivers to watch out for you.
Actually, I'm going to turn this around a bit. Expect drivers to NOT watch out for you. Always better to take an active role than a passive one :)

Welcome aboard!

I'm one of those little bikes to start guys (and by little I mean 250 or 500) but keep your wits about you and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My good mood has been pretty much slammed. Thursday afternoon one of our local cops and a friend of mine creamed himself on an Explorer. DOA. He bought the first 07 ZX6R in Rome, GA. Plus he was a new rider. Unfortunately one more reminder not to get stupid on public roads, to ride within your abilities, and to watch out for the stupid female yapping on her :rant cell phone. He was doing approximately 110 in a 45 zone and she pulled out in front of him. He totaled the explorer and then slammed into a tree... Literally had to scrape his body off the tree. To all novice an experienced riders, be careful. Nobody gives a damn about bikers. It's too much trouble to hang up the phone and look around before you pull out! Sorry for the long post, but this really bummed me out.

Chris "TheReaper"

·
Registered
165 Posts
the best advice ive heard and some ppl say it works
is ride around like every1 is out to kill u
thn u'll be 1 cautious rider

hav fun and be safe

·
Registered
649 Posts
I fail to see how doing 110mph in a 45mph zone is a smart idea!!! You gotta figure that any road with side streets and drive ways has the potential for a cage to appear outta nowhere. Please folks, if you want to test out the limits of your bike than take it to the track!!!!!!!!!!! I'm always sorry to hear about any biker going down or worse but peeps need to use their head!

·
Registered
63 Posts
wow, sorry to hear that. there was a guy around her on thursday that was doing about 70-80 the last the cop had seen him in a 35 zone. hit the curb then a pole. NO HELMET!!!! he didnt make it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
First off, I'm sorry about your friend.

I'm even MORE sorry to read that he was a police officer, because he should have been out there setting an example, not pulling crap like that. 'Tis a shame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts