Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a Gps for my new Gtr with european maps installed. As we all know these things are not cheap so I can't afford to make a big mistake. I want one thats easy to use and have bean advised to use the tomtom rider or garmin zumo. Does anybody ave any experience with these items or even know anyone who has got one for sale ? I would be gratefull of any comments and also am looking to mount the unit in the centre of the bars via some sort of stud mount rather than on the bars so would be gratefull of any thoughts on this when considering which gps to use,regards.:headscratch

·
Registered
228 Posts
I use TomTom rider as it comes with the cardo headset making it extremely good value, the zumo requires the headset to be bought seperately at a cost of approx £100. The zumo does offer more features such as easier offloading of routes to pc and handles mp3 other than that they both do the same job. If I want mp3 i'll use a dedicated player so went with the tomtom.

As to the mounts, I will be posting pictures in a day or two as soon as i've got the finished mount in place, will then let others see it to see if it fits their needs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gps mounts

Thanks for the info. I would be interested in seeing the mounts for the tomtom rider as this is the one I am being advised to buy. Is the mount you are taking pics of one you have made yourself or did you buy it ? If so where from and how much.regards.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sorry to get on my soap box but as I am a Marine Electrical/Electronics engineer I get to play with these a lot. Therefore to answer your question...
Garmin every time. They have a superb PC interface which allows you to very easily plan your route on the PC within minutes and send it via usb to the Zumo. The Zumo 550 has european maps complete and only cost a little more than the TomTom. I have had a lot of bad feedback about the TomTom, freezing and lockups etc. and even Autocom don't rate them after extensive testing and have supported the Zumo instead. The headset isn't an issue with bluetooth clipsets like the i.Tech S35now selling for £8.00 on Amazon. You just need a suitable earpiece or headset to plug into it. However as any TomTom user will confirm the cardo headset is a pain especcially at higher speeds. The better option would be to use the Zumo with a Scala bluetooth headset or the or i-Phone which adjusts the volume to your speed.
I have used TomTom, Garmin 2720, 2820 and Zumo550 and rate the Garmins better. Garmin have reduced the price on the Zumo twice in the last two months to remain competative and theiir web based backup and downloads are good too. Better than TomTom. Also Touratech have some excellent mounting options for the Zumo but the Zumo does come with a motorcycle mount which will not take too much to modify to your needs. You may like to modify the transit post cap on the bike yoke.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zummo

Blimey, now I am confused. Well thats thrown a spanner in the works. Problem I have got is I go out with a friend alsot on the bikes at the weekend and we have bike to bike intercoms by Intaride. I think they are a bit out of date but they work really well and there not bluetooth. So do I need two sets of headphones and two mouthpeices to talk to him,listen to the gps and use the phone with the gps or just get in the car ? He does'nt want to upgrade to bluetooth as he has o intrst in useing a gps or phone. the other option was to use an Autocom but they are expensive also and as we know space is limited on the Gtr for fitting things like this under the seat.:headscratch

·
Registered
451 Posts
Karl, The intaride is a stand alone bike-bike unit. Things have moved on over the last few years. You will not be able to hear the GPS Mp3 etc using the Intaride. Unless you have the new Intaride Evo kit which allows you to plug in music etc. But as you say the Hub unit is large and may be difficult to fit. They are also an additional £190.00 similar to Autocom.

I know it is more dosh for a pair of these but have you seen this unit?
http://nitro-helmets.com/product_detail.php?product_id=234
it will go bike to bike at up to 400mtrs on the road. Ive been trying to get details from someone who has one but nobody on this forum does as yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm 100% with Hitman on this. I've used both and the Tomtom will get you from A to B well enough. However, if you want to go from A to B via X,Y and Z which for me is the main point of motorcycle touring the Garmin is infinitely better as you can plan your route on the supplied software, Mapsource and zap it in. Works the other way too and you can send routes, waypoints, places of interest etc that you have saved on your GPS back to your pc for later use.

For me no contest.

Dave

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
second mortgage

Now it's getting easier, New gps £400. New helmet for intercom £285. new Autocom £250.00 etc,etc,etc. The other option of course is return all my calls one I've stopped the bike £ free as company phone and buy a tuffmap around £19.99. I am getting very confused as where to go next. It's obviously expensive to buy all this stuff in one go so it may be worth me doing my homework and seeing what advice and deals I can get at the bike show at the N.E.C in November. Thanks for all the info guys, just going for some Paracetamol as my memory card is full.:runaway

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't own one, but I rode a buddy's BMW Adventure last week that was equipped with a Garmin Zumo. Whoa, very cool little gadget. We were up at Lake Tahoe, Nevada and this thing had no problems in the hills and I liked the display VERY much. Also, my friend that owns it back-packed through Europe a few months ago, and used this machine. He's a gadget hound, and reported to me that it worked well in Europe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts