Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why its a normal kawasaki. The kawasaki ninja series has always been loud in the top end. The ram air that we all love has increased this sound over the years. In fact many of the people that ride kaws do so because of the intake rush sound of the engine. The designers at kaw have even gone to the point of making sound deflectors to send this sound to the rider. Basically with the ram air the way it it- its a big resonate box right under you with a horn(air intake)putting the sound right up in front of the bike. If your bike seems loud after hearing rumours- point it out to the dealer- but don`t assume problems. The problems are the same in number as any other new bike. Don`t let a few problems- which seem to more prevelent among those with multiple nicknames and accounts on these forums- deter you from enjoying your bikes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
we need more posts like this. im sick of a new thread every day asking about th ticking

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah , it's kind of getting on my nerves too!
But at the same time don't forget that it's a legitimate concern to some as there have been a few that bought the farm!:rotflmao

·
Registered
78 Posts
To clear this up for those who are freaking out.

I have suffered the dreaded intake cam and tappet failure and my bike has been out of service since July 16. I have been riding for over 25 years and have had bikes from almost every manufacture and have even experienced a motor failure before on my track day/racing bike so I am speaking from experience.

If you can hear the ticking/loud top end when cruising at over 4000 RPM with your helmet on get the bike checked out. It sounds nothing like the ram air/intake noise or other noises Kawi's make it sounds like metal on metal tapping & grinding.

If the bike is loud at idle or in your driveway ride it and do not worry.

There is a clearly different sound when you have the bad intake cam and tappets as it is loud to the point you can hear it through your helmet at over 4000 RPM.

Stop worrying and convincing yourself you are hearing things. If you have the problem you will hear it loud and clear.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don`t disagree with RR- he is correct- and there have been three bikes,including his, that have had similar problems. My issue is that there are many more claims of problems using the same IP addresses which make it seem more than it is. That in turn has caused many folks to worry needlessly. I have seen this happen on the internet with several bikes- sometimes there are real problems- and sometimes it just creates a problem in the minds of the riders. Either way it erodes confidence and distracts attention that should be focused on riding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know all too well about this ticking noise. See my post "My 07 zx-6er died today.."
The ticking eventually turned to a knocking and then today the dealer tried to start it up an check it out. When reving the engine it Knocked and Siezed up.
So like RR said.. go get the thing checked if you are having issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts