Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 2001 zx6r. for $900. The bike has some aftermarket headlight for a street fighter look, tank is in good shape, tail, forks, rims are ok, and engine runs fine, but carbs will need to be tuned. Has no plastics but includes the stock headlight and tail light as well as the fairing stay. The only part im skeptical about is there is a crack in the frame. Its about 2-3'' long, a little before midway down the tank on the left side. rest of the frame looks solid no indents or other wise marks of being twisted or deformed.

Would it be safe to have the frame welded where the crack is? Or would I need to get a new frame? It currently has a clear title as well.

If I do have to get a new frame which im not opposed to, would it still be a good deal?

· Banned
3,604 Posts
I'd get it welded and braced before any spirited riding. Though if it's cracked there I'd strip the bike and inspect all welds and make sure it's sound. I've had the steering head break of my bicycle while riding. I couldn't imagine the frame coming apart at 50MPH or faster.

· Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,875 Posts
I'd get it welded and braced before any spirited riding. Though if it's cracked there I'd strip the bike and inspect all welds and make sure it's sound. I've had the steering head break of my bicycle while riding. I couldn't imagine the frame coming apart at 50MPH or faster.
+1 just make sure who ever welds it is a certified welder It's worth the peace of mind to have it done right by someone qualified . You might also want to bring it to someone who can make sure the frame is strait . If it was me and I had to have that bike I would price all that out then weigh the alternatives as far as cost goes before I put my money on the table .

· Registered
319 Posts
I'd offer they guy $500 cash take it or Leave it. Crack in frame... Carbs rebuilt.. Plastics. That's enough to consider plus miles on it? Prob need some love to the motor before its perfectly reliable to ride. Good offer IMO.

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
went and took a look at it today. it fires and runs ok. needs a new tank, new plastics, tires, left rear set, left shift linkage. Seats are a bit beat up. 18k on it. I offered $625 if he delivers it and he said he'd think about it. Supposibly someone is coming fri and said theyd pay $900. Doubt it. Hopefully ill get a call back. its a cheap bike and easy enough to fix up.

· Registered
107 Posts
If the frame was not cracked, it sounds like it may be worth the $625 you offered. If you can get it welded by a certified welder for not a lot of $, go for it. let us know if you get it, and let us see some pics of the rebuild.

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Im getting it for 650 delivered. I can get it welded cheap about $25-75 depending. Ill get pics up of course for a rebuild thread. Just finished up a 98 f3 and no one paid any attention to the rebuild, but maybe you guys will care more

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
too late its bought. i dont think it was wrecked multiple times. 2 owners before me. The guy i bought it from I sold parts to a year or so back and he hasnt ridden it since he got it. Any who engine looks clean, no leaks, runs well, subframe, wheels and forks are straight. Frame appears to be straight, no dents or bulges on it, just the crack. Anywho ill get pics up and start a build thread soon. Time to go order some parts...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.