Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ref; 1986 ZX1000r
I tore down my engine today to replace a bad starter clutch. When I took the clutch cover off I saw this. The rim of the clutch basket had been all torn up. There is nothing else that is damaged around it. The balancer is fine, the chain is taught and the tensioner works fine. There also wasn't any damage to the inside of the cover. Any ideas? The oil screen was full of metal shavings as well.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o600/ahdoman/ClutchCarnage.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
someone has droped it and replaced the cover before selling

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
Starter drive tensioner

These motors are similar to ZX-11, ZRX11&12 and ZZR 1200 The starter drive tensioner flops against the clutch pressure plate. It starts with just a random mark or three around the perimeter and ends up like this pic when everything is slopped out. The fix is a small sleeve on the rod that holds the tensioner arm that limits it's travel.

http://www.zrxocboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=36150

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hammerhead. Any guess as to how long the sleeve needs to be? This motor is a bit of a "frankenstein" it seems. I cracked it open to replace the starter clutch and have found a couple of suprises including the fact that someone completely eliminated the balancer shaft. Well, not completely, the rod is still there but without anything else on it. Other than that, everything meets spec.

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
I have one that I bought from ELS and never put on before the ZZR got totalled. That was going to be part of my winter maintenance. IIRC, it's about 5/16" long and slips over the rod part of the tensioner, which must be partially disassembled and then put back together. If I can find it, it's yours for $5. I paid $8+shipping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the offer but I've got a couple of pieces of stainless I can use for that. It's leftover from another project.

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
Great, because I can't find the damn thing to save my ass. Hopefully I gave it to someone who can use it, but I don't remember. It's hell getting old.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The ELS fix for the starter chain tensioner is the absolutely best fix for this problem out there. I've installed it on a ZRX and my ZX11 is next in line before it grenades my motor. This is a common problem on a number of different Kaw's. Trust Pete Aronson from ELS the guy is a brilliant mechanical engineer. I can't ever remember seeing him screw up. He does a lot on the ZRX forum:smile2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts