Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a repost. Well eatherway im going to look at a 1993 ZX7 this week and wondering if there are any common breaks to look for or any typical problems ZX7s have, such as 2nd gear failure or w/e, or something thay goes wrong alot and can be hidden or covered up that i noobie may not catch.

Tanks
Kevin

·
Registered
264 Posts
not so much trans issues to look for- the kawi trans are pretty clunky, so don't freak out over noisy shifting-I would say the issue with the most concern is the valve train- 93 is a year when Kawi was getting things right with the valve train- 89-90 was a very bad year, if the valve adjustments were not done in a timely manner, it would basically suck the valve through the head-and finding a head for those years is almost impossible- 93-4-5 I belive are basically the same animal, so you have a few years to choose from when looking for parts- buy on the basis of how good the bodywork is- this stuff is really expensive, and can make the difference between a good deal and a bad deal- upper is 600.00, plus stickers, so you get my point- lowers probably 350.00 each plus stickers- tank is probably 750.00- so if there is a fair amount of damage, one of the best places to order parts is ronayers.com its somewhere between 25-30% less than what your local dealer will charge you, and you will have to order it any way. Good luck

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea good advice thanks.

Anybody else got something i would need to look for?

Also how do i tell its an zx7R instead of just a zx7 ??? is there even a difference or did they even make em that generation???

Thanks a bunch

·
Premium Member
6,490 Posts
What's the difference?

The zx7r was built from 1991 to 1994.There is no 1995 zx7r.The 1991 thru 1994 zx7r has an aluminum fuel tank.This is visible to the naked,untrained eye by looking at the lower seam on the fuel tank.It will have an obvious weld bead all the way around it,from the front of the tank all the way around to the other side at the front because the tank bottom is welded to the top.A standard zx7 tank is steel and is magnetic.A zx7r tank is aluminum and a magnet won't stick. A zx7 tank has a smooth ,pressed steel lip on the lower edge as a seam. No weld bead there.
The carbs on a zx7r are 39 millimeter Keihin flatslides.A zx7 has 38 millimeter Keihin CVK carbs.The flats have a distinct rattle to them when they are idling.If not properly tuned the flats will also bog a little bit when you whack the throtttle.Then they will clear their throats and you'd better be hanging on!The CVK is a more sedate carb with better low end throttle response.They are smoother when riding around town with alot less drama to them.
The transmission on a zx7r is a close ratio 6 speed.When riding it you will notice that first gear is stupid tall with stock gearing.In town you can stay in first gear pretty much the whole time.When you get out where you can open it up you'll notice that it drops about 600 RPM between shifts when you're on it hard.The standard zx7 drops about 1500 RPM between shifts.
The zx7r has a remote reservoir on the rear shock.It is mounted under the left side of the tail.The zx7 has no remote reservoir and has no real adjustments to it other than ride height.
The front forks on a zx7 do not have compression adjusters at the bottom of the fork legs.On the backside of the forks at the bottom there is a machined round surface.The zx7 has nothing on or in this surface.The zx7r has the compression adjuster machined into this area.
The obvious bodywork difference is the zx7r tail.An original Kawasaki 93-94 zx7r tail is 3 pieces.There is a top and 2 sides.You can see the seams above the tail light.I've never seen a 3 piece aftermarket tail section.The aftermarket ones I've seen are all 1 piece items.
The V.I.N. is different on both bikes as well.Standard zx7's are coded L1 (1993),L2 (1994) ,or L3 (1995).The zx7r's are coded M1 (1993), or M2 (1994).You can find the identifiers in the V.I.N. number on the frame.The V.I.N. starts out on all zx7's and zx7r's from this period (1991 to 1995) as JKAZXD.The next two digits tell you what you have.If yours is a 1993 it will be L1 or M1.The 1991 and 1992 zx7 and zx7r are coded the same way.The 1991 zx7 is J1.The 1992 ZX7 is J2.The 1991 zx7r is K1 and 1992 is K2.I'm telling you this in case the guy has a 1992 that he thinks is a 1993 because he bought it in early 1993 and the title is screwed up.This happens some times.
Good luck in your hunt.When you do buy a zx7 or 7r post photos of your new beast.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok great! Thanks 2fat2fly. This is the exact info that what i was looking for. From the looks of things ill be pickin up the bike on tuesday and cant wait, already thinkin of things to do to it, :rolleyes guess im getting a little ahead of myself but what the hell! rite!? lol

Thanks for the all the advice guys, it helped more than you would think :mfclap

Tanks

·
Premium Member
6,490 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok well i went up and looked at it and its not in good shape at all. I mean rust everywhere, maybe able to shotpeen it off. All bolts are corroding, the aftermarket paint job is terrible, the lights dont work and the fairing is loose and drywall skrews are holding it on.

NADA values for good is 1000 bucks and fair is 400.

Looks like a good project bike for the winter lol.

How hard are small parts to find for this bike??? or is there a one stop site i can visit???

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,490 Posts
Winter restoration

Ok well i went up and looked at it and its not in good shape at all. I mean rust everywhere, maybe able to shotpeen it off. All bolts are corroding, the aftermarket paint job is terrible, the lights dont work and the fairing is loose and drywall skrews are holding it on.

NADA values for good is 1000 bucks and fair is 400.

Looks like a good project bike for the winter lol.

How hard are small parts to find for this bike??? or is there a one stop site i can visit???

Thanks

PM me your phone number whenever you can.I have a 93 zx7,2 91 zx7r's and I've made a habit of knowing where to find parts.Anything I can help with I will.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What's the difference?

The zx7r was built from 1991 to 1994.There is no 1995 zx7r.The 1991 thru 1994 zx7r has an aluminum fuel tank.This is visible to the naked,untrained eye by looking at the lower seam on the fuel tank.It will have an obvious weld bead all the way around it,from the front of the tank all the way around to the other side at the front because the tank bottom is welded to the top.A standard zx7 tank is steel and is magnetic.A zx7r tank is aluminum and a magnet won't stick. A zx7 tank has a smooth ,pressed steel lip on the lower edge as a seam. No weld bead there.
The carbs on a zx7r are 39 millimeter Keihin flatslides.A zx7 has 38 millimeter Keihin CVK carbs.The flats have a distinct rattle to them when they are idling.If not properly tuned the flats will also bog a little bit when you whack the throtttle.Then they will clear their throats and you'd better be hanging on!The CVK is a more sedate carb with better low end throttle response.They are smoother when riding around town with alot less drama to them.
The transmission on a zx7r is a close ratio 6 speed.When riding it you will notice that first gear is stupid tall with stock gearing.In town you can stay in first gear pretty much the whole time.When you get out where you can open it up you'll notice that it drops about 600 RPM between shifts when you're on it hard.The standard zx7 drops about 1500 RPM between shifts.
The zx7r has a remote reservoir on the rear shock.It is mounted under the left side of the tail.The zx7 has no remote reservoir and has no real adjustments to it other than ride height.
The front forks on a zx7 do not have compression adjusters at the bottom of the fork legs.On the backside of the forks at the bottom there is a machined round surface.The zx7 has nothing on or in this surface.The zx7r has the compression adjuster machined into this area.
The obvious bodywork difference is the zx7r tail.An original Kawasaki 93-94 zx7r tail is 3 pieces.There is a top and 2 sides.You can see the seams above the tail light.I've never seen a 3 piece aftermarket tail section.The aftermarket ones I've seen are all 1 piece items.
The V.I.N. is different on both bikes as well.Standard zx7's are coded L1 (1993),L2 (1994) ,or L3 (1995).The zx7r's are coded M1 (1993), or M2 (1994).You can find the identifiers in the V.I.N. number on the frame.The V.I.N. starts out on all zx7's and zx7r's from this period (1991 to 1995) as JKAZXD.The next two digits tell you what you have.If yours is a 1993 it will be L1 or M1.The 1991 and 1992 zx7 and zx7r are coded the same way.The 1991 zx7 is J1.The 1992 ZX7 is J2.The 1991 zx7r is K1 and 1992 is K2.I'm telling you this in case the guy has a 1992 that he thinks is a 1993 because he bought it in early 1993 and the title is screwed up.This happens some times.
Good luck in your hunt.When you do buy a zx7 or 7r post photos of your new beast.
Here's my new one! 94, great info!

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Pass and wait for a better one to come up. You will kick yourself for buying a beater. Those parts prices above are stupid though. Maybe for NOS parts but i've given away decent tanks. I've got 2 L tanks sitting here....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts