Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys? My 1991 zx11 has been running great until the other day when I went to go to work and turn the key and it had no juice! So I charged the battery and bought a new one because it's been over do! Now I charged up and filled the new battery and dropped it in... As soon as both terminals touch my neutral and oil pressure light come on with NO KEY even in! Once the key is in it turns and still doesn't do anything. NOTE that the headlight and turn signals do not come on!! Now before I spend 120 on diagnostics I'd like you guys that no about this help me do something manually to save me money an so I could learn something for the future!!! Any answers will be appreciated, ride strong gentlemen!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Start with checking all the connectors and go through your wiring harness and see if there are any bad connections or bad/corroded wires.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Pull fuses until your problem goes away, then check that circuit. Saves hours.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! Alright the fuses I'll do tommorow morning! And I already had in mind about the harness so you just backed me up and will be checking my connectors I'll post what I find and go from there thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Don't worry about any other connections, unless the fuse that makes the problem go away is the MAIN fuse.

Since the oil and neutral lights come right on, there is a good chance it is in the ignition circuit somewhere. Note that the headlights don't typically come on until the bike has been started - at least in the case of both the kawis I have owned.

I don't know crap about 11s, but if they have a separate ignition harness like my 7, you can start there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright understood and yeah the headlight doesn't turn on till the bike is started but the turn signal indicators do so your probably right about the ignition circuit!

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Key Switch.

Kawys are noted for key switches going bad out of the blue.

Happened to me on my ZX650C way back in the day. Riding along then all of a sudden,

NOTHING.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Every get this problem figured out? I know when my battery crapped out, out of nowhere all kinds of wierd things occured electrically. So, after replacing the battery I cleaned up the grounds on my bike which seemed to help after all these older bikes do sit alot and tend to build up corrosion especially if your like me and don't have a heated or cooled garage or storage for the bike when not in use.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright this is weird guys! For shits and giggles I went and put my new battery in to check the fuses, my wiring harness and connections looked good not corroded or anything!! I put both terminals on and it's like it never happened!! The short is gone and the bike is up and starting! But with my luck something was bound to fuck up! Read my new thread about my carbs which happened after I was happy and rode it

Thanks for the help gentlemen

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ friek dog, I'm like you I have no stage at all and that was my worry but they looked good... Well acceptable!! But I did clean the grounds too so it may have helped

1 - 11 of 11 Posts