Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, so its been awhile since I have been on here since I sold my Zx7 awhile back. Well I recently purchased another zx7r 2001 that was not running with the intention to fix it and sell it. I t had been sitting since 2008 for what reason I am not sure of and the bike literally has 1,300 miles this is a one owner bike and the miles on the title show 3. From the looks of it it may have tiped over just because only one fairing on the left side has a slight color variation than the rest. Im thinking the original owner dropped it it and never rode it again? Othere than that, there ard no other signs of it being dropped. The fairings are all OEM yellow. Question here is what shoukd I ask for a 01 Zx7 with only 1,300 miles??? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Or they rode it with the speedo disconnected... So later they can sell a low mileage bike

Josh

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or they rode it with the speedo disconnected... So later they can sell a low mileage bike

Josh
No I seriously doubt it. The bike looks immaculate, and still had the OEM oil filter on it. There arent even any rock chips in the rad. Evrry thing on the bike looks untouched.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
No I seriously doubt it. The bike looks immaculate, and still had the OEM oil filter on it. There arent even any rock chips in the rad. Evrry thing on the bike looks untouched.
Nice!

Change the oil, clean the carbs, change the plugs and give everything a once over.

If I had such a low mile bike I would advertise $4500 and try to at least get $3500.

Even in fantastic condition the bike isn't going to bring big money.

Josh

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice!

Change the oil, clean the carbs, change the plugs and give everything a once over.

If I had such a low mile bike I would advertise $4500 and try to at least get $3500.

Even in fantastic condition the bike isn't going to bring big money.

Josh
Yup, done, done and done. Bike wasnt running when I bought it, cleaned everything out new plugs, cleaned carbs, fresh oil. Runs great. I still need to sync the carbs though. Other than that its about ready to go.

I believe your right on with the price.. Thats about what I was thinking.. Start at 4500 and negotiate a little from there. Locally 3- 4 k has been the prices but all were with between 16- 26 k miles..

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sorry to sound like such a noob but how do I set the carns up? I been searching on the site amd I see the 160/170 settjng but honestly im not sure where you set that at? When I rebuilt the carbs I took out the pilot jets and wasnt sure where to set them? So I turned them in all the way any backed them out 2 1/2 turns of the screw.

Does anyone have a pic to show where to set theses at? as well I need a carb synchronizer but im not sure how to sync these and to what specs?

Ok so new update.*

When I first cleaned the carbs and did a tune up the bike ran great, I took it for a spin and it was running beautiful. Yesterday, I took it for another spin and it was again running smooth. When I pulled up to my drive way it started to stumble and then died. I tried to restart it and it wouldn’t start, so I pushed it into my garage and left it. After about 30 minutes I went to go start it again and it fired right up.*Well just now I went home and was going to take it to work and when I went to start it, it stumbled again and wouldn’t start. Well after a few cranks “It seemed like it almost wanted to start” It started leaking fuel from the carbs? Any guidance on where to start from here? Is this happening because of the way I set my pilot screws? I’ve rebuilt carbs before and not run into an issue like this? Any help appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Wow, that bike is beautiful.
Never seen the yellow/black before. Nice pics btw.
Sounds like you're going to make a nice profit on this one.
I've got a feeling it's going to be hard to part with her.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Damn that bike is nice!

Josh

·
Registered
919 Posts
Ok I have to ask, how the fuck do you guys find such nice bikes? There was another forum member who bought an immaculate P model 7 with just a couple hundred miles on it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I found my 97-zx7 with only 7500 miles on it and it only needed minor work, one of the three carbs was messed up and in need of a rear tire. I just kept on searching and searching until I found one I liked.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
My $0.02

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be negative.
If you start at $4,500 you probably won't get calls. $4,500 is a little too much for a dated bike (regardless of the condition) that is technologically behind the current offerings. They'll look at the ad and be like: "Is this guy serious??. It's not even an RR"

I would say to list it for $3,800 and hold your ground at $3,500. It should sell if the person really likes the ZX-7R and truly wants a clean example. I'd buy it for $3,500 for sure. I paid $4,000 for my '02 back in 2009.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My $0.02

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be negative.
If you start at $4,500 you probably won't get calls. $4,500 is a little too much for a dated bike (regardless of the condition) that is technologically behind the current offerings. They'll look at the ad and be like: "Is this guy serious??. It's not even an RR"

I would say to list it for $3,800 and hold your ground at $3,500. It should sell if the person really likes the ZX-7R and truly wants a clean example. I'd buy it for $3,500 for sure. I paid $4,000 for my '02 back in 2009.

No worries man, I asked for opinions not "tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies" lol.. I was just going based off of what I have seen them going for here locally. I sold my last Kawi for 4300..if you look at my posts youll see it, it was pearl orange. I have seen only a handfull and all were over 3k but had 10x the miles litterally lol. Fortunately I am not in a rush and the bike will be enjoyed untill the right buyer comes along. I missed the feel of a normal street bike.. My stretched out busa makes me nervious in the turns lol.. Ima start at 4500 just for the low ballers. Well see how it goes. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
That bike is beautiful!! I absolutely love the color scheme!! Id keep it parked and sit on it til the right buyer came along, lol. WTF are you doin on a stretched out busa!?!? Needs to be at least a stretched out zx14/zx12 :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts