Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to see what type of tires the users here are using on your 250 / 500 Ninjettes - and what type of riding do you typically do with them? Also, are you happy with them?

For me, I'm running the Perelli Sport Demons in the stock sizes. Most of my riding is on bumpy curvy backroads with some freeway work and a tiny bit of surface street work. I've also done one track day on the current tires. I've been happy with them so far. They seem to be fairly well suited to the primitive suspension of the budget Ninja.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im cheap, so I still have the stock tires, but will go to the 45's when these are gone. Right now I ride backroads that are straight and fairly flat but I did go up to North ga and did the tail of the dragon today. I took it real easy though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Stock. They are ok for general around town and on the freeway but definately not sticky enough for track or even serious road work. I use my Ninjette as a commuter so I appreciate the 6k I get out of a set. I do plan to get a new model in about three years when this one is worn out. 17in rims and a far better suspension so it should make it quite a little bomb.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
With such a "power" level, I thought they would never wear out and need replacement...:smile

Being curious, how many miles/km are you getting out of the tires (fr&rr) on a 250 and on a 500?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got about 6500 miles out of the stock, craptastic Dunlops that came on mine (an '01 model). They were junk - they didn't last long, they didn't grip well, and they were borderline terrifying when it was really wet out.

I switched to the Avon AM51/AM52 set, and I have about 8500 miles on them, with only minor wear down the middle of the rear, and almost none in front. I'd expect the Avons to go about 15,000 miles for a rear tire and probably 20,000 for a front. Being so light and with so little power output, the 250 isn't hard on tires at all. They're not track tires (the Sport Demons will stick better), but the Avons are great in the wet, wear better, and are cheaper to boot. The AM51/52 has been replaced recently, but I can't remember the model number now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am using Bridgestone Battlax BT-090

Hello from Melbourne Australia,

I am using Bridgestone Battlax BT-090 on my 250R, in a 110(F) 140(R) combintaion. It is winter here in Australia, and typical Melbourne weather is cold (7 degrees celcius) with light showers (usually not enough to clean the roads properly).

All of my riding is city commuting, and in wet greasy conditions I found the stock Dunlop GT501s to be not very confidence inspiring for me.

I have had no size problems with the BT-090, there is plenty of clearance left on the swingarm and chain-guard.

But I must say that the Bridgestones have transformed the bike. In every possible aspect: rider feel feedback, grip, handling, stability they are in a different league to the stock rubber.

I am a nubie rider, and my opinion is that these tires are the best thing that a nubie can do to improve safety in wet and treacherous conditions.

On these forums I read lots about folks modding their bikes with new exhausts etc etc, but I feel that better tires are the best mod you can make. For myself I plan to keep my bike stock ('cept for the tires), I will save my money for my next bike, I hope to upgrade to a 600cc bike at a time when I feel my riding skills have improved sufficiently. I will also try to take some rider training, but at present I feel I have plenty of scope to improve my riding in just the day to day stuff. But when things reach a plateau, I will invest in some rider training.

So far I have done only 2000kms on the BT-090s, since when it is dry I usually try to ride my bicycle to work. Wear rate seems fine, but I still have the chicken strips on my tires, since what with the bad weather I have not really had good opportunity to get the bike out of town onto the twisty stuff.

cheers
Rav

·
Registered
60 Posts
Has anyone tried Michelin tires? They make great car/truck tires, and are pricey for all, but in the cage market, they are worth the extra dough!

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I put the Sport Demons on and got front end wobble between 40-45 mph. I checked, had a couple of shops check....no problem found. Ended up going back to a Bridgestone (not stock) when I sold it. Felt much better....

I run Michelins on my other bikes, but never tried then on the 500.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts