Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having to buy my first set of street tires for my 03 zx6r and was wondering what tires are the best for the street, and witch ones i should stay away from.

matt

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bridgestone batlax bt020 is good for street riding. they feel really good in the turns, kinda like Dunlop D208, but last longer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Man this ? will get you a thousand different replies. Pilot powers, diablo streets, m-3's, the list is endless. Stay away from race tires and if your not cornering real hard(ie you still have chicken strips) stay away from the dual compound tires. They are expensive and you probobly wont use the softer compound anyway. Although the new pilot road 2ct may be a tire of intrest. They were just released so I haven't rode a bike running them yet. Looks good on paper though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i recently just bought the pilot power 2cts and i love them..... i used to have the stock batlaxs ane once i switched it felt like a whole new bike..... but as everyone says if your not into turning there a waste of money but thats all i do so there worth every penny....... in the turns its honestly a world of difference...... oh and what ever you do buy both the front and back tire at the same time...... a buddy of mine has a batlax on the front and a pilot power on the back and the bike handles like shit.......... but i would reccoment the 2cts there amazing!!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
^^^good point. Tires should match, front and back. Next season, I am ditching my battleaxe's and putting on a set of Mich pilots. You can't go wrong with just about any SS tire. Do a little web searching, you will see charts ranking warming up times, tread wear etc. and pick the ones that suit your driving style.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm in the market as well, I have a zx11c fronts are 120/70vr17's
and the back is a 170/60vr17 and my question is.
can I put something a little bigger on the back rim ?
Frank Z

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm in the market as well, I have a zx11c fronts are 120/70vr17's
and the back is a 170/60vr17 and my question is.
can I put something a little bigger on the back rim ?
Frank Z
You have a 5.5 rim, so you should be good w/ a 180 but it all depends if it will clear your swingarm.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I did some searching and found that going with a bigger tire would cut into my corning not to mention the swing arm issue. I found a pair of Pirelli Diablo strada's from Kneedragers for $231.00.
I picked up a wheel balance stand for $60.00 off e-bay, a spoon set for $25.00, 6 new tire stems for $7.00 and sticky weights for $12.00
Grand total $335.00
I called my local ass reamers and the scumbags quoted me $178.00 for the rear $140.00 for the front $15.00 for 2 valve stems and get this $65.00 per wheel to mount and balance and that's if I bring them in.
They wanted $100.00 per wheel if I just brought them the bike.
Their grand total $463.00 plus NY sales tax of 8.65%
$504.00 for two fucking tires.
I look at it this way, I tear into my bike and fix everything I can to save a buck or two, this way I can change my tires whenever I want.
Any advice on changing your own tires with the spoons
or doing your own balancing ?
Frankie Zee...

·
Registered
532 Posts
I use the Michelin Power Race (Soft Compound) mainly for the trackdays I do and thought they will not last long on the street. Well, surprise, have now done 1600km (street and trackdays) and they are only about 30% worn in the centre, but they are slowly starting to "peel" at the compound-joint, but still good for at least another 1000km. The front is hardly worn and can go at least another 2000/3000km.

Used the Soft Compound because it was winter here, but with the start of the summer now, will prob have to go for medium/harder compounds.

These things grip like nothing else!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts