Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to work on the bike and noticed that 4 header bolts vibrated out and are missing. :eek:hno

Now I gotta run over to home depot for some 8mm lock nuts before next week because I don't have any laying around.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Should be 25 foot pounds for the torque specification.

To some people its a rocket.
To others it's freedom. (zx9r)

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Safety wire them.
Ironically, I ordered safety wires and pliers over the weekend so they should be here by tomorrow the latest hopefully.

Claps1775,

Thanks for the torque specs. That was probably my next question before digging out the manual.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
um, the 7 doesnt have header bolts... they have studs... :lol... bustin your balls

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
you should prob order some new ones from kawi... most dont notice but these bolts are almost like a torque to yield... they inside threads elongate... the engine to frame nuts are the same.... atleast all mine are :rolleyes

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you should prob order some new ones from kawi... most dont notice but these bolts are almost like a torque to yield... they inside threads elongate... the engine to frame nuts are the same.... atleast all mine are :rolleyes
Screw that. Loctite!

I'm perturbed that I need to pull the radiator off for this crap.

·
6,559 Posts
I pull headers off all the time without pulling the radiator off. Just take off the four mounting bolts. You just push the radiator around. I just did it yesterday. A little bit of swearing but not too bad

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I pull headers off all the time without pulling the radiator off. Just take off the four mounting bolts. You just push the radiator around. I just did it yesterday. A little bit of swearing but not too bad

Cool. I was wondering if I could do that. :crazyloco

I don't feel like draining it and re-filling/bleeding etc.

·
Premium Member
6,405 Posts
Scott is 100% correct. That's how I do it too.

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,405 Posts
Don't know if you have the same problem I used to have with getting a socket through the pipes onto to the filter, but this little $20 tool worked wonders for me.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_HD-OIL-FILTER-PLIERS-OTC_28030020-P_N3401A_T|GRP2082_____

On 89-90 ZX7's the header is right under the oil pan drain bolt and the oil filter housing with some of the aftermarket exhaust systems. You must drop the header to get the oil out of the bike.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On 89-90 ZX7's the header is right under the oil pan drain bolt and the oil filter housing with some of the aftermarket exhaust systems. You must drop the header to get the oil out of the bike.
Aw HECK NO!

That's straight up drippin' wit' WACK JUICE!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Now I gotta run over to home depot for some 8mm lock nuts before next week because I don't have any laying around.
Turbo,

If you mean the nuts vibrated off and aren't handy with Safety wire you can always put a little "goop" on the end of the nuts/bolts. It will keep them from coming off too. Not as good as safety wire but.......

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Threw on the 8mm 1.25 nuts and all is good. Also put in the pre-drilled oil drain plug and did a shoddy job at safety wiring it. :rotflmao

She's ready to rock!

I wonder how much HP I was losing with that exhaust leak coming from the headers. lol I was probably out there blazing with about 98hp. hahahahahahahahaha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts