Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to do a coolant change on my ZX11. What should I put back in there? It has to be able to withstand the freezing cold because my bike will be stored in a cold garage this winter and I don't plan on changing it again this year. Regular green antifreeze? I know some people use water wetter, but I don't think it can withstand the cold.
T

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just changed mine using regular 50/50 premix from Advance Auto. This mixture will not freeze until -32 degrees F. Judging where your at I would probably run 60/40 mix. This is just the regulat "green coolant"...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yes, buy the prepixed stuff, and dont' mix it after you get it.. Don't put pure antifreeze in there either... It get's pretty cold over here in Spokane also, but not as cold as Chicago, but my stock antifreeze worked fine when it was -5*...

·
Registered
18 Posts
dont mean to hijack the thread or anything but why cant you use pure anti-freeze in a bike? only wondering cos i run my car with pure antti freeze

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Here's the quick answer to DAMO: The reason that you don't use pure antifreeze in a vehicle is that, oddly, the boiling point of the pure stuff is actually LOWER than a 50/50 mix of coolant and water, and its ability to dissipate heat is significnatly less than the mix, which invariably leads to overheating. I suggest that you're not really running pure coolant in your car, but rather, luckily, bought a couple of gallons of pre-mixed stuff and threw it in. Straight coolant is a serious no-no! By the way, for those interested, make sure that the coolant you buy is compatable with aluminum engines. Usually the pink stuff is the way to go, or anything similar to Dex-cool. In the old iron block engines, anything was OK, but some of the old style coolants are very caustic to aluminum, and will plug the water jackets with crud and sludge in short order.

DW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts