Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's good to know, because I rarely step foot in one of these Cluster Fs of a store, yet the ones in my neck of the woods do not carry bike oil. Wierd. I too have gone to Rotella T6 as well..... even though it shows a picture of a bike on it, there is no indication that it has shear force modifiers in it.. and Hardlies have their transmission separate from the crankcase.

Oh well..... @ $21-23 a gallon, it will suffice for now... Ill just look the other way :)
Yup! Shell Rotella T oil seems the way to go if you want to save some money on full-synthetic. This is what Wikipedia says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_Rotella_T

Motorcycle usage[edit]

Though marketed as an engine oil for diesel trucks, Rotella oil has found popularity with motorcyclists as well. The lack of "friction modifiers" in Rotella means they do not interfere with wet clutch operations. (This is called a "shared sump" design, which is unlike automobiles which maintain separate oil reservoirs - one for the engine and one for the transmission). Used oil analysis (UOA) reports on BobIsTheOilGuy.com have shown wear metals levels comparable to oils marketed as motorcycle-specific.

JASO-MA[edit]

Both Rotella T 15W-40 conventional and, Rotella T 5W-40 Synthetic both list the JASO MA standard; this information can be found on the bottle adjacent to the SAE/API rating stamp. JASO is an acronym that stands for "The Japanese Automotive Standards Organization." Note that the 10W-30 conventional oil does not list JASO-MA.

:smilieRR:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Long chain polymers are MOLECULE chains. Syn oil has uniform MOLECULE chains, unlike regular oil, hence it is less prone to shear forces. Gearboxes shred these long chain polymers.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/191015-engine-oil-shearing-specs-explained.html
Polymers are made of molecules as everything that's concrete substance. The shearing IS of the Polymers, NOT of the component molecules, they remain intact, cold loose from one another, but on the shearing process you won't get loose atoms or ions from this shearing of polymers. That's what I call physics sofism:

Premisse One : Polymers are made of long chain molecules attached to each other,
Premisse Two: Polymers can shear,
Conclusion: You sheared the molecules!

WRONG

You sheared the POLYMERISATION (THE ATTACHMENT) BETWEEN THE MOLECULES that formed a once polymer. The even name "polymer" reveals its own nature. :nerd:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry to butt in, gents..but what would the end result (best or most suitable oil) of all the above be please?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
all of the above, plus 1000 oil threads togheter - specially mine ones - then you're starting to figure it out ...

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
So, did yuo guys found out if it will be a 750 turbo or not?

(Jack, the jacket)

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Sorry to butt in, gents..but what would the end result (best or most suitable oil) of all the above be please?
Well if you believe all the hype on the net, Amsoil is gawds gift to mankind.

To bad they never put it up against any other oils in INDEPENDENT studies....

Personally, Im a fan of Spectro Platinum or Royal Purple, but if you change you oil at regular intervals any of the popular brands should suffice.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Polymers are made of molecules as everything that's concrete substance. The shearing IS of the Polymers, NOT of the component molecules, they remain intact, cold loose from one another, but on the shearing process you won't get loose atoms or ions from this shearing of polymers. That's what I call physics sofism:

Premisse One : Polymers are made of long chain molecules attached to each other,
Premisse Two: Polymers can shear,
Conclusion: You sheared the molecules!

WRONG

You sheared the POLYMERISATION (THE ATTACHMENT) BETWEEN THE MOLECULES that formed a once polymer. The even name "polymer" reveals its own nature. :nerd:
Nicely explained without being an arrogant ass about it.. :evilgrin:

You are correct.... the breakage of the polymer chains is what causes the degradation, not the destruction of the molecules themselves.

·
Administrator
58,295 Posts
Well if you believe all the hype on the net, Amsoil is gawds gift to mankind.

To bad they never put it up against any other oils in INDEPENDENT studies....

Personally, Im a fan of Spectro Platinum or Royal Purple, but if you change you oil at regular intervals any of the popular brands should suffice.
winner winner chicken dinner
I doubt even the Amsoil gawds would change their oil at twice the recommend intervals as they advertise.
That would put my 14 at a 15,000 mile oil change.
They need to buy a bike and put it through their claims and get an independant oil analysis and then tear down the motor to prove their claims.
I call booshyt :abreak:

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
I have this file, for sanding off the rough spots on my feet, it works pretty good. Big though, like a paint stir. I use it in the shower. I tried to file my toe nails with it once, didn't work so well. I mean, it worked, but it wasn't pretty. Sort of like using a sledgehammer to hang pictures, or a chainsaw to crop photos. All of which is to say: I like Spectro Golden, and I don't give a shit what anyone thinks about it.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Nicely explained without being an arrogant ass about it.. :evilgrin:

You are correct.... the breakage of the polymer chains is what causes the degradation, not the destruction of the molecules themselves.
Thank you Blanethemonothemostbeautifullavatar, for comprehending my point. I got bashed for my stubborn position about shearing in the past, here at ZX.

And you did summarise in a very smart, direct and flawless way! :biggrin:

·
Administrator
58,295 Posts
Thank you Blanethemonothemostbeautifullavatar, for comprehending my point. I got bashed for my stubborn position about shearing in the past, here at ZX.

And you did summarise in a very smart, direct and flawless way! :biggrin:
:violin:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
What, Captain (questionmark) (is out in my stupid ABNT2 keyboard Windows 10 software in a stupid international hardware Dell keyboard)

·
Registered
2 Posts
1993 zx750. I'm going to change the oil shortly and am curious as what to use? I've read alot of pros and cons to synthetic/desiel oils! ??? Help me out so I can get this done and still have a bike that moves...also can anybody tell me where to find a socket that works to change plugs?
I found that 10-40 semi synthetic works well and was advised not to use full synthetic as you can experience clutch slip. I change oil & filter every 3000 as gearbox runs in same oil.
The oil never gets to black colour stage so I know I'm not running diluted and contaminated oil. I have made a magnetic sump plug to catch any metallic bits as well to keep oil clean.
I got my long spark plug remover from Halfords as plugs are very deep in my 1996 zx9r. Always take great care changing plugs, a cross thread or over tighten could be costly.
Ride safe.
Dave.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I'm a big fan of Mobil 1 15w50 car oil. Been using it since the early 90's and never looked back. I bought a ZX9r brand new in 94 and started using it after the engine broke the 1000 kilometre mark, @ 95k the cams and followers still looked brand new and I was still on the original clutch (with no issues) when I sold it. I drag raced this bike at Race city Speedway in Calgary from the time i broke in the motor ([email protected]). Every bike I have bought since the first thing I do is change the oil to Mobil 1. In my opinion motorcycle specific oils are just hype. I change the oil every 5k kilometres even with synthetic because for me the added advantage of syn oil is not extended periods between oil changes, but using a better oil.

cheers
Ow, I Missed that!
+1
Since I start my engine average temps 65 to 90 F, it is EZ use for thickier oil.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
If you dont care about the the oil hype you can change it @ 5k-7k miles on conventional. Me? I like to put 20k on amsoil 10w-40 or 7k-10k on conventional. Sometimes I wait until the gearbox gives me the Clunk-ok-time-to-change-the-oil shift notification :crazyloco 50k miles on current engine and trans. serviced clutch recently and it's good to go another 50k miles.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
and Wal-Mart does not sell motorcycle oil, for I have looked. I guess if you change it more often it would be fine, but IMHO, you are defeating the entire reason to use Syn oil. Longer time between oil changes.
Just for the record, Wally World does sell Motorcyle Oil, here, anyways! :biggrin:

21 - 40 of 41 Posts