Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1993 zx750. I'm going to change the oil shortly and am curious as what to use? I've read alot of pros and cons to synthetic/desiel oils! ??? Help me out so I can get this done and still have a bike that moves...also can anybody tell me where to find a socket that works to change plugs?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Try bike oil & hardware store, SnapOn or the like. Sorry, I didn't bought my plug socket in the US.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Use any motorcycle specific oil. 10w40. If you're looking for the very deep welled spark plug sockets and an extension, find one at your auto supply house designed to fit a HONDA car. I use that for most of my bikes.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Just bought a set (3 different spark plug sockets) for $5 @ Walmart.
The smallest one is the correct size =5/8" ( 16 mm) .

As for the motor oil I got 10w40 full synthetic Castrol GTX at Amazon. Any
full synthetic motor oil is the way to go, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The oil debate wages on. People start fights about what oil to use in a motorcycle. For me, I use full sythetic motor oil. Car oil. Mobil 1 works wonders. Just don't use oil that states" energy conserving" on the label. Bad for wet clutches. Been using quality car motor oil for decades with no issues. I use it in my racing dirtbikes and I flog the shit out of them. No issues. You can spend $10 or more a quart on motorcycle oil if you want to waste your money. I won't mind. Walmart, Mobil 1 full synthetic, 5 qt jug $25.00.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Non dexos approved, is approved.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
The oil debate wages on. People start fights about what oil to use in a motorcycle. For me, I use full sythetic motor oil. Car oil. Mobil 1 works wonders. Just don't use oil that states" energy conserving" on the label. Bad for wet clutches. Been using quality car motor oil for decades with no issues. I use it in my racing dirtbikes and I flog the shit out of them. No issues. You can spend $10 or more a quart on motorcycle oil if you want to waste your money. I won't mind. Walmart, Mobil 1 full synthetic, 5 qt jug $25.00.
The major reason Car oil is NOT recommended for motorcycles is because cars do not have a GEARBOX sharing the same oil.

The SHEAR forces of a gearbox literally shred oil molecules, ripping them apart. They eventually turn to sludge deposits in your engine. This is well documented.

Motorcycle oils and passenger car oils are very similar, with the exception of a couple of areas that are key to motorcycle operation. The first area concerns common sumps, or the use of motor oil, to lubricate and cool the transmission. As you know, in a passenger car the transmission is lubricated by an ATF fluid, which has frictional properties required for transmission operation. In a motorcycle, where the transmission may be lubricated by the engine oil, an engine oil that does not have the same level of friction modification (for fuel economy) of a typical passenger car engine oil will provide better transmission performance in terms of transmission lock-up and slippage. So motorcycle engine oil does not contain the friction modifiers of a passenger car engine oil. The second area of concern for motorcycle engine oils is that they tend to shear (breakdown viscosity) more quickly than a typical passenger car. Mobil 1 motorcycle oils are designed to provide exceptional protection against viscosity loss.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English...fferences_Between_Car_and_Motorcycle_Oil.aspx

Even Mobil 1 suggests using their MOTORCYCLE oil instead of their car oil... and Wal-Mart does not sell motorcycle oil, for I have looked. I guess if you change it more often it would be fine, but IMHO, you are defeating the entire reason to use Syn oil. Longer time between oil changes.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
walmart certainly does sell bike oil, but I have had luck with rotella T6. The stuff seems to last longer than even some of the bike oils i have used, its synthetic, and costs half as much as buying oil at a dealer.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
walmart certainly does sell bike oil, but I have had luck with rotella T6. The stuff seems to last longer than even some of the bike oils i have used, its synthetic, and costs half as much as buying oil at a dealer.
And you can deep fry chicken wings in it :)

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
That's good to know, because I rarely step foot in one of these Cluster Fs of a store, yet the ones in my neck of the woods do not carry bike oil. Wierd. I too have gone to Rotella T6 as well..... even though it shows a picture of a bike on it, there is no indication that it has shear force modifiers in it.. and Hardlies have their transmission separate from the crankcase.

Oh well..... @ $21-23 a gallon, it will suffice for now... Ill just look the other way :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah f*#k walfarts and all their chinese made goods I dont go in them either. Half the time the public doesn't know whats a marketing ploy and what inst everyone's being programmed that way.

I used car oil in a past bike shifting felt lesser precise it was very noticeable and I haven't done it again since.

I have a question on crush washers, I put a new one on my bike last oil change and I usually practise it..how many times is it safe to re-use them if you do re-use?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I started using motul chain products and like them so I went with 4L of their 7100 full synthetic 10w 40 for 50 dollars cad at a bike specific shop. http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/07/22/motul-motorcycle-lubricants/. I notice somewhat smoother shifting and it runs a little quieter (but still sounds like a kawasaki tractor). The mobile 1 at walfarts costs more by a few bucks per litre and I didnt see any 40 weight

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm a big fan of Mobil 1 15w50 car oil. Been using it since the early 90's and never looked back. I bought a ZX9r brand new in 94 and started using it after the engine broke the 1000 kilometre mark, @ 95k the cams and followers still looked brand new and I was still on the original clutch (with no issues) when I sold it. I drag raced this bike at Race city Speedway in Calgary from the time i broke in the motor ([email protected]). Every bike I have bought since the first thing I do is change the oil to Mobil 1. In my opinion motorcycle specific oils are just hype. I change the oil every 5k kilometres even with synthetic because for me the added advantage of syn oil is not extended periods between oil changes, but using a better oil.

cheers

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Just to illustrate, what shears in the oil are kinnd of pieces of "soft plastic goo" actually a very thick oil substance that's included in the oil (Viscosity improvers). Such substance consistent of chunks of plastic that swell with temperature to make a thicker oil at i.e. 100C temperature, are sheared by gear mesh forces, NOT MOLECULES. That story that molecules are torn out simply isn't true. There's just too much physics misinformation on oil subject. The clearances between engine parts are microns size (3 to 30 microns), so to get to molecule size, you'll have to make it 2 million times smaller in the measurement scale. It goes from millimeter, microns, nano, pico particle sizes, then you're getting near absurd huge molecules size.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use Repsol 10w40 semi-synthetic in my 9R (and previous bikes). I've had really good luck with it even if it is "Honda oil". I also use Repsol chain lube so I guess I'm just a fan of their products.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Fixed

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
100C temperature, are sheared by gear mesh forces, NOT MOLECULES. That story that molecules are torn out simply isn't true.
Unfortunately, long chain polymers (VI improvers) are more unstable the longer they are. The nature of petroleum basestocks necessitates that they be "built-up" using very long chain polymers. Therefore, these long chain polymers break down fairly quickly. In turn, over a short period of time, a 5w30 petroleum oil may actually "shear back" to a 5w20 (or lower) as these polymers break down. Obviously, this can lead to a decrease in engine protection.
Long chain polymers are MOLECULE chains. Syn oil has uniform MOLECULE chains, unlike regular oil, hence it is less prone to shear forces. Gearboxes shred these long chain polymers.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/191015-engine-oil-shearing-specs-explained.html

1 - 20 of 41 Posts