Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats a great oil to get for your first oil change?? I was wanting to go synthetic but I've heard to wait a while before doing so.

So what oil do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Whats a great oil to get for your first oil change?? I was wanting to go synthetic but I've heard to wait a while before doing so.

So what oil do you guys recommend?
I would not go synthetic till 3000 personally. your engine needs to wear in properly and with sythetic its so slippery ur engine done wear at all.

when u do go synthetic go to amsoil fully synthetic

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
+1 for kawi kem

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will go with the kawi till 3k miles then probably switch to amsoil. How often do you guys change your oil? I was planning on doing mine every 500 miles since it takes a couple of months for me to put that many miles on a bike.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It does no harm to go to full synthetic after the 600 mile service. The mechanic at my dealership recomended Motul synthetic so that's what I went with. I usually do an oil change every 4-6 months because I rarely do enough mileage to schedule on mileage alone.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I use Rotella in the blue bottle. group 3 oil. dino oil that is ultra purified. and like $15/gal at walmart.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I went with Spectro Golden 4 semi-synthetic @ 600 miles. Will stay with that for a while. I like their products. I also changed to a K&N oil filter. Not just for the better quality filter, but for the easy removal when changing the oil. K&Ns have the fitting on the top of the filter.......quick and easy.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
for the first 2 changes i use regular kawi chem, but at 1200 miles i switched to full syn kawi kem

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone. I am a newbie to the 10's. I just picked my 2005 Blazing Orange Pearl up last night. It has 451 miles on it when I got it. From riding it home and riding a little bit today I now have over 800 miles. I was wondering when I should get my first oil change. Also I am sure from reading this post that since it's the first oil change you all will suggest Kawi products. Let me know b/c I will change it tomorrow. Also how long after the oil change should I wait for the 2nd one and so and so on. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
congrats on the bike, 1st change before 1000k, i reccomend kwai regular for the first 1000. Second oil change about 1400 and go with kawi full syn, or royal purple max cycle. Its good stuff mang

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply MAX. Ok well I just got in and I'm at 901miles. So tomorrow I will change my fluid with Kawi oil and filter. Then at 1400 I will use Royal Purple. What filter should I get?

Also I noticed today that your not really supposed to be going above 6k rpm's between the 500 and 1k break in. I haven't done it a lot, but I did do it a few times. Could this be bad or hurt me later?

Also any other maintance I should be doing besides oil? I don't have a kawi manual. I didn't get one with the bike.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Stay OEM, its the best. Goin over 6k a few times wont hurt it, just dont make a habit of it9atleast right now). When i got my bike i never went over 6k for the first 200, then 8k till 600. At 600 i did my oil change and let it rip. Once u do ure first oil change, let it warm up to 120 or so before riding. Take it easy till it warms up to about 180 or so and then go balls to the walls. Let it idle for a while ater riding.

How did u buy a 05 10r with so low miles? Please post some pics of the sweet orange

·
Registered
53 Posts
honestly guys as a parts guy I know it feels good to put kawi oil in your kawi. but all the manufacturers oil (honda . yamaha, suzuki) all get their oil from the same refinery and I think suzuki is the cheapest. at least where I work and as far as switching to syn. Go big or go home I personally run full syn. silkolene 15w50 but really as long as you do ur oil changes on time and take pride in doing so you will have no issue on the life of your motor !:smile

·
Registered
432 Posts
Shell Rotella 'T' 05-40 full synthetic as soon as you get it home from the showroom.. Change it along with filter every 7,000 miles from then on. End of story... That schedule has served me well with every bike and car I've owned.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I, d go every 2000-2500 motorcycle motors are alot different than cars and no offense but but I wont put any oil from wal-mart in my bike !!!:banghead

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm with Ray on the Rotella Diesel Oil 15-40 or Syn.,5-40. Have been breaking in numerous engines from the first trip home plus a Moto-Man's break-in on the way to the shop for the first oil change. Works for us in the Black Hills or in Ray's sunny Florida.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts