Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the thing that helped your riding improve the most, that brought your riding to a new level? It could be anything - from riding on the track or learning to look though the turn.

As an example: The one thing that raised my game the most was learning “eye control.” When I figured out how to look as far ahead as I could and learned to keep my head focused on the exits of turns, it increased my entry speed, corner speed and exit speed and increased my confidence when cornering a thousandfold.

What about you?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Getting stopped by a bike cop & getting a roasting for speeding made me improve my general observation quite a lot :wink (he did let me off though :grin )otherwise it was all so long ago I can't remember what made me step up most when I was learning (it was 36 years ago :rolleyes)

Reading books on riding skills is useful, then putting what you read into practice on the road.

I did a season of club racing & riding at the limit on the track does certainly improve your bike control at those limits, so I would definately recommend a track day or two to really get to grips with the bike. Ask around to find what track days are most suited for less experienced riders otherwise it could all be a bit intimidating if you're in a class of would be racers.

A lot of people recommend advanced rider training, which is something I am planning to do myself. We have an organisation called the Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists in the UK that deal with that, I should think you have similar in the USA.

·
Registered
79 Posts
No doubt about it. The single most significant thing I have done to improve my riding skill was to take the Motorcycle safety program offered by Team Oregon. I now go back every two or three years just to brush up on my skill and to remember what I may have forgotten.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts