Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what is the 6th gear Max RPM with speed limiter removed?
Is it able to rev all the way out?
Or are the RPM limited to under the redline?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Well stock I believe it hits max power about 10200.Have to experiment with the gearing.And a speedo healer or run a GPS.I had a ZRX that maxed out at 145.I lowered the gearing and it would do 155.The speedo ran off the front wheel so no error there.Just a better mechanical advantage.I never hit anything over 170 so I don't care.It's fast enough for me.
Craig

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Just wondering what is the 6th gear Max RPM with speed limiter removed?
Is it able to rev all the way out?
Or are the RPM limited to under the redline?
I've heard of a soft rev limiter before the actual rev limiter kicks in, usually 500 rpms over redline.
Not sure why you would want to take a stock motor past the 11k rpm redline anyway. Probably end up floating a valve.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Even if you delimited the bike you would still need at least a mile to get to that speed. The acceleration slows way down over 150mph . There is nothing that says you will still accelerate anything past the 186 limiter any way(although if you are on a nice flat road you will probably better it) . So what'cha doin any way ? Or is this just a thought experiment?

·
Registered
54 Posts
The rev limit in 6th with no speed limiter is the same as in any other gear. Wether or not the bike will actually pull to the limiter in top depends on circumstances. If you're pulling up a slight incline with a headwind and you weigh 300lbs then no chance. If you're on the flat or maybe a slight downgrade, no or a slight following wind and you weigh 150 then yes, almost certainly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's just a thought.
Once I'm ready for a 300+ run I don't want to run into a rev limiter earlier than the red line, I guess just wondering how sneaky Kawasaki was with the restrictions.
Once I've passed 300kmh then I'll be content.
I'm currently working on my ZRX1200, it's my project atm, but once I finish that and have passed my 300kmh goal on the 14 I think it will be time to slow down a bit, so at that stage I'll rip her clothes off and see how we can fighter her...
I was looking whilst installing the Ti force and PCV and it don't look even remotely easy.
Don't hold me to this though, I'm easily led astray next thing I'll be at a drag strip.

I guess the question should have been posed more like "If speedo healed is a ZX14 technically able to redline"

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Thats why I geared mine down.Where can you go 190 on the street.As proven by Somefun it's hard to do even with the head done and bigger throttle bodies.I hit 150 uphill in 6th easy on the interstate.But any more than that and it eats hp.Not worth it unless you got money and on a specialized course like I think Lorain,Oh.Now mine will probably do 170 due to the low gearing but the fun factor is high.I checked Somfuns progress on another site and I'm inpressed.Perhaps with that shot you will punch it through.Good thing it's not on the salt flats where some bikes hit the spray for that little boost and spunout.
Craig

·
Registered
418 Posts
My thinkin? Maw Kaw KNOWS the bike is going to be limited to 300 kph. It is in their best interests to make the bike perform as well a possible BELOW 300 kph. They will tune the engine for maximum power and torque, and especially choose gearing etc so the bike performs best at the speeds the buyers will be using. My guess is that you won't hit the limiter in sixth because the engineers made design choices based on a lower balance point. Unless I am mistaken (and it happens a lot) the power starts to drop after 10K or so rpm.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Beethoven;
Your right.My dyno run peaked at 10200 and dropped off at 10500.Never ran the bike that hard,didn't have too.Now my speedo is callibrated I'd like to start at 3rd to 10000 4th 10000 5 to 10? then let it rip in 6th.
Craig

·
Registered
60 Posts
Craig,

With your sprocket combo...were you able to use the stock chain length, or did you have to add a couple of links?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The 43 won't fit unless you take the front off and go down 1.I did mine when it was newer.So it was tight but it fit.I didn't have to add links but 43 is the limit.
Craig

1 - 12 of 12 Posts