Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knock on wood, as I dont want anyone to ever crash...

For those that have, what does it feel like? How can you describe it? Does it seem surreal?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I havnt crashed any street bikes yet and hope I dont.......but it does happen. I have crashed a dirtbike going down a road. I was going around 50 MPH (guessing compared to street riding speeds) and my friend in front of me kicked up alot of dust off his four wheeler so the turn was blind. I took a guess and went through the dust and I was headed for the trees so being stupid I locked up the front brake and high sided instead of lowsiding. I was in the air and landed probably a good 25+ feet from where I locked the brakes up and my bike landed on me and the peg got my back pretty good and I also broke my thumb backwards. I had a rider behind me also and he said the bike did a rotation before it landed on me. Long story short its a pretty scary feeling when you are just laying on the ground like that, you dont even want to move and find out what kind of injuries you have. Thank god I was wearing a helmet though cause id have some pretty serious burn haha.

I know its not a streetbike story but it was on a road and on a bike.

·
Registered
157 Posts
:angry I ve been knocked off by a car and it does not feel good. I just remember being in a full parallel with the ground and then picking myself And my shoes off of the ground. Yes, he knocked me outta my shoes. A couple of aches and pains but nothing broken.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think it depends if its your first time our your fifteenth. The first couple of times your scared shitless. I distinctly remember having enough time to think to myself in later crashes "Oh god, not again"

Of course one blessing is that you usually don't remember the really bad crashes. I center punched a guy who turned left in front of me. I was going about 50 when I grabbed the brake. After that the next thing I remember is waking up in the road with two broken wrists. I was in shock and nothing really hurt, unless I tried to move my arms. The weird thing is while I don't consciously remember the crash I think I had some kind of weird subconscious body memory of it. For months afterward when I would think about the crash sitting on the couch or laying in bed I would get this sudden weird whole body spasm like some one just snuck up behind me and scared the crap out of me.

Most of my crashes have been slow speed get offs in corners where the tires lost traction. While they happen in an instant its amazing how time slows down. The one that sticks out in my mind was a tumble where all I remember is sky ground sky ground sky post in ground sky post getting closer ground sky whew, missed the post ground.

Actually how I feel after 9 out of 10 crashes is first, stupid and embarrassed, followed by really really shit eating grin happy to be alive.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Actually last week I lowsided at around 20mph, cold day, cold tires, and throw in a wet patch of road on a right hand turn. It surprised the crap outta me.... seeing my bike sliding away from me and spinning to a stop on the slider in slow-motion. I would say it was surreal..... My hip hurt for a few days and my lower fairing has a nice scar, the LSL slider took the brunt of it and now I've gotta wait 3 weeks just to get a replacement bolt!!!!!:banghead

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've crashed once and remember every detail. I was in Germany and it started raining on me about half way to a party I was trying to get to. I was on a road I take everyday to get to base. I took a left-handed corner going 130km when the speed limit was 70km. My rear end kicked out and re gripped and slammed me into the pavement right shoulder first. I was sliding belly down feet first and I remember seeing the road through my visor going at a angle so I knew I was going towards the shoulder so I tried steering with my hands to get going straight. Seemed like I slid forever but I wasn't freaked out or anything. Seemed like everything was in slow motion at the time. I remember walking back to my bike first picking up my magnetic tank bag that came off then pursuing to kick the shit out of my bike for throwing me off even throw it was my fault.

My neck was sore for about a week but other than that I was good to go. Was wearing a helmet, gloves, jacket and riding boots at the time. My Berik two peice jacket and Held gloves took most of the damage. Thank God for reinforced knuckle and shoulder protection not to mention my noggin.

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
Gawd..... um .. er where do I start, I can honestly say I cant remember how many times I bit the dirt/tarmac.
The slow ones hurt and the fast ones your thinking ooo feck this is gonna hurt, but it dont..... at least, not yet.
Have not broken a bone yet but I've been black and blue/yellow big time and that is with full protection.
fastest off was around 210km and a few 80-140 below that speed I don't remember as I stopped counting when I was 20

·
Registered
330 Posts
High-sided at 85mph once. There's that instant when you just know you're screwed - next thing you know, you're picking yourself up off the ground and of course looking for your bike because once you figure out you're alive and moving, you're more worried about what happened to your bike.
Key points: always wear your gear (always) & hope you don't hit anything solid & stationary when you come off :scared

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hit a cow on a DT250A at an impact speed of about 12mph. Drifted over the cow for about 12 feet and had time to roll and take the impact on my left shoulder; punched myself in the right eye, cracking a sinus and gashing my eyebrow; got a friction burn on my leg; dinged the tank with my foot and severely damaged my riding gear.
The cow did better jumping onto the bonnet of an almost new Volvo totalling the bonnet, mudguards and radiator.
Cost me $50 in x-rays, $8.75 for a set of bars as I was too sore to straighten them and my class at school insisted on me wearing sunglasses for a week as my eye would have dine Freddy a treat.
The cow survived.

gammac

·
Registered
131 Posts
what does it feel like? It feels like time slows down, you see everything as it happens, but in a slower mode, yet you can think everything through at regular speed, also you tend to block out surrounding sounds and images, like the crash is the only thing that's happening in the whole world, your not scared, just VERY aware of the moment .....hard to explain. and when you finally come to a stop, everything speeds up to normal time again. At least that's what it was like for my lowside in the mountains, but then again, I didn't get hurt all that bad other than bumps and bruises. Hopefully I won't have any further expeirances to report on. (touch wood)

·
Registered
18 Posts
First real crash was slamming into the back of a Buick on a 250 Ninja. Was going 65mph and got it hauled down to 15mph before impact. A bit sore,but basically OK.
Second crash was when I totalled a Buell during a demo ride at the IMS at Long Beach:banghead . Hit sand while trying to do a stoppie. Hit the deck doing 70mph. Trashed a Shoei TZ-1,rashed my jacket,my wrists and left knee. Scariest part was realizing that my tumbling picked up speed rather than slowing down. The Buell crew was totally cool and I was totally humiliated. I bring them pizza every year. Going on 5 years now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
On a cool fall morning, I was 17 and driving a Honda Shadow 700 like only a 17 year old could!! Passed a car, up the hill, down the hill....three deer...i killed two on impact and the cop shot the third one. I was going around 70, nothing broke on me, bike was trash, blood that I thought was mine was the deer. I remember not being able to raise my voice but I did say "somebody please help me". I had gravel in me, still have some in my butt...i will post some pics!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
What do you mean what does it feel like :crackup
The only way to describe it is as peaceful as the sunset on a cool spring day-

Hahha - No its more like - I have been violated- Your body ramps up the adrenaline and if you are hurt bad enough then you are incoherant. They found me sitting on the curb with my helmet off- Although I am totally detached -its like it happended to someone else- I don't remember much-Thats what happens when you really get your bell rung- my memory is a lot worse now and I am slower and my equilibrium is not that great- and all I had was a concussion, broken hand and a calf with all the skin tore off the muscle-not road rash

G

·
I had a nice slowspeed accident where I got to close to a curb and the worst for me was having probably 2 or 3 seconds, which felt like minutes, where I was thinking to myself theres nothing I can do. Every Muscle tenses and then you begin to slide across surfaces that were not meant to slide on...

For me as SOON as I stopped sliding I got up, looked around to make sure no one saw me (no one had) I ran over to my bike, picked up the pieces of my broken windscreen shoved them into my jacket, lifted the bike up again (felt light as a feather) started it, and drove off to meeting a friend for coffee, wasn't till the first corner I realized I had no rear brake.

About an hour later I went back to the scene, saw the rubber mark on the curb, and found a few more pieces of my motorcycle... That was a LONG day. The shakes are the most frustrating part...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I remember my first serious wipeout like it was yesterday. Nasty little lowside when I first started riding. If I absolutely had to compare it to something: Ever been tubing out on a lake or something? Well I would have to say it was like that, only 10 times harder for the initial impact. Then came the roll, couldnt see where I was heading, what with the flipping and spinning and all,(by the way, this is what causes the most damage), then I stopped and just laid there stairing at the sky wondering what the hell just happened. Thats about the best description I can give. All that pain went away when I saw my bike, I think that pain hurt worse than anything, until the next day of course. Hope I painted a pretty enough picture for ya.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The first time I went down was at a pretty good clip, years ago. Bounced off a guard rail (I remember that), went into Oh Sh_t mode next thing I know I'm laying on the ground hella far from where I hit lookin' up at the sky. Looked over to my right and traffic had backed up about 10 cars deep. Must have been there for a few seconds anyway. Dude in this little Geo Prizm just staring at me. Got up, picked my bike up and pushed her to the shoulder. Was lame!! Broken ribs huge swelling on my hip for days.
That wasn't a good day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts