Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be candid and blunt, what are your first thoughts and opinions of the new GTR 1400?

What are some things you are glad Kawi addressed and what do you hope to see between now and the time the model is released?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Beans,

Apart from the space-gun 4-in-1 silencer I'm kinda getting used to, I hope they'll jazz up the instrument panel and the few square miles of matte-black cheesy plastic that surrounds it.
It took Yamaha several years to make the FJR dash panels slightly more attractive by giving them some texture with the 2006 model.

Also, the taillight assy needs some work IMHO.

Stef

·
Registered
10 Posts
First thought was that is one butt ugly muffler! But some of the BMW's sure have some butt ugly mufflers too! At least it projects back far enough so you should not get exhaust stains on the bag. Would like to see some protection for that large radiator, such as a mesh covering to reduce stone and pebble damage, and keep the large bugs out. Could do the same thing in the open cowl area to keep the exhaust pipes from being sandblasted and dinged. Also, why can't the engineers figure out that a longer front fender at the rear would really be nice to keep all the road spray, sand, pebbles, and road debris from being thrown up into the radiator in the first place! Go figure.

Overall, I like the looks and the lines of the bike. The tetra lever rear hopefully will reduce or eliminate driveshaft jacking during throttle transistions especially in the twisties. Ought to be one hell of a motor being based on the ZX-14 and having VVT. Should be a torque monster for an in line four.

·
Registered
199 Posts
front fairing/headlights is far better than the ZX14.
saddlebag ribs suck,
saddle needs to be 2 piece, like the ST1300
hope it is a 200,000 mile motor, like the ST1100
muffler is the second worst ever( thankfully it isnt undertail)
the biggest problem, I dont have one!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
It's like the Concours of old. It seems bulky and big. Even the ZX14 doesn't look like "that much" of an aircraft carrier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a BIG guy - 6'1" and mid 200's. The bike looks PERFECT to me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You're not big. I'm 6'4" and 350lbs and I know people bigger than me,..... although not many of them. I just hope that I fit on the GTR1400. If not then I might have to cry and scream and then sulk!!

The muffler is ugly but over time you don't notice it so much anymore. Wanna bet how long it takes for the aftermarket to make something more aesthetic?

I would prefer more practical sidebags and a non-stepped saddle but then I will probably be fitting a custom saddle and will need a trunk.

Other than that I would like it to be fun to ride. If it ain't grin inducing then I may as well buy a H*nda. ;-)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like the all around visual impact of the C-14. Especially the front end, reminds me of Alien....sinister! The pics I've seen of members sitting on it make the egos look ideal for every aspect of riding save track days, but then again it's designed to be a Hyper-UJM.
The muffler doesn't concern me as I tend to change them post warranty anyway. Good news is I heard the Catalytic converter is part of the Muffler, not upstream as in the new FJR. Hence just bolting on an after market will save much weight and increase flow. I ALMOST bought an '06 FJR last season but just put fresh tires and a chain on the SV so I just rode it.
Soooo glad I waited, now the question is how long do we have to wait for the new Connie?

·
Registered
4 Posts
temptation

Do a fair bit of dv photography in the north and south west of West Australia.
Have used my ZRX 1200s for past five years before purchasing possibly last bike. (geriatric) Love the ZRX especially the S it makes a great tourer and has exceptional twin lights 100w. Nothing wrong so far but starter will fail one day due to continual stopping. Suspension is set up just right and can give Hayabusa a run for its money in the twisties but no where else. GTR Looks fantastic and doesn't appear to have lost much power unlike the old GTR Vs ZZR. Need power I'm a geriatric Junky. 1400 Muffler looks way to big but may grow on me. Thought about buying a new green ZRX 1200, swapping engine and all non coloured bits with ZRXS then flogging new looking second hand greeny with old bits cheap. What with all the new speed restrictions and the threat of satelite trackers looming maybe the mid range of the ZRX will suffice. Can't wait to see the GTR 1400 in the flesh. Shaft could solve dirt problems but will plastic fall apart on gravel. The temptation could get beyond me. Good site
Dennis

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have used my ZRX 1200s for past five years before purchasing possibly last bike. (geriatric) Love the ZRX especially the S it makes a great tourer and has exceptional twin lights 100w. Nothing wrong so far but starter will fail one day due to continual stopping. Suspension is set up just right and can give Hayabusa a run for its money in the twisties but no where else. GTR Looks fantastic and doesn't appear to have lost much power unlike the old GTR Vs ZZR. Need power I'm a geriatric Junky. 1400 Muffler looks way to big but may grow on me. Thought about buying a new green ZRX 1200, swapping engine and all non coloured bits with ZRXS then flogging new looking second hand greeny with old bits cheap. What with all the new speed restrictions and the threat of satelite trackers looming maybe the mid range of the ZRX will suffice. Can't wait to see the GTR 1400 in the flesh. Shaft could solve dirt problems but will plastic fall apart on gravel. The temptation could get beyond me. Good site
Dennis
Opps Wrong url new member allowed one mistake

·
Registered
4 Posts
This time it's right

need a throttle restricter. limit to 109.999kph. yea right.
Thankfully kawasaki has got past the stupid use of small bore carbs/fuel injection and piddly valves to transfer torque to midrange (allegedly) a la strangled Suzuki naked 1400??. I mean if you havent got enough mid range torque in a stock 1400 suzy then what the hell do you want.

How about more tread on new tyres in the middle. Why make new tyres to a perfect symetrical point from which only deterioration can occur. Far better to start slightly over sync, pass through the perfect curve then deteriorate later. (all tyres)

love the shaft drive hope it's truly dust proof for our North West touring here in West Australia. ZZR 1100 tank at 24 litres was good hope this has similar range.

Need cruise control a proper one not an add on if it truly is to be the intercontinental tourer.

A small bank of mini power outlets would be a good thing for phone charging (with holder) GPS, and a hand light/map light for unpacking when camping or trying to find a way. Bikes do travel at night occasionally..

Don't include brake pad sensors like BMW if you haven' checked your bike before the next big ride then having idiot lights telling you your pads are stuffed 300k from knowhere will simply cause those who didn't to have a nervous panic attack. Go kawasaki

·
Registered
4 Posts
temptation

Dennis

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

I am new here, thinking of buying a concours 14 when it come out eventually...

When I first saw the pictures of concours 14... I love everything about it except for the exhaust pipe... That's not a problem... After market will fix that...

I think the instrumental area looks... Oh well... not unique... Wish they make it different from the zx14... Never like the one on zx14

I love the side grill look... I know some people hate it... but I love it...

No one knows for sure... I wish Kawasaki will put heat grips, heat seat and cruise control on the production bike... Nice features to have for sport touring bike.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Overall look is Oustanding. Muffler sucks; should be dual exhaust, hopefully an aftermarket option will fix that. Heated grips a plus in the NorthWest, we ride 8-9 months of the year, wish it had a heated seat as well. Love the front look, better than an FJR. Wishing for more options from Kawasaki to include a matching top bag otherwise GIVI E52 topcase/gel backrest will be first on my list of farkles; cruise control would be nice, Throttlemeister close second on the list. I also hope engine vibration is less than FJR and ST1300. Not concerned with lack of factory GPS... I'm leaning towards the Garmin 2820 GPS for it's Bluetooth technology sync'd with Nolan's N-Comm helment N102 for Navigation, MP3, XM Radio, cell phone, bike/passenger comms, and bike/bike comms (within 30 ft). Shaft drive and 5" adjustible windscreen a real bonus on long trips. Not sure what to think of the tank mounted "glove box". Maybe keep toll booth coins at the ready? 12vdc plug definately convenient. Not sure 5.8 gal fuel capacity will be sufficient. Rear fender sucks,,, will be keeping an eye out for undertail mod and integrated LED turn/tail light kits within the next year. Handlebar risers yet to be determined if necessary or not. Waiting until August/September delivery.... that would definately suck if its true... but I'm waiting for mine just the same. :angry

·
Registered
19 Posts
What I don't like the most is that The Mother Ship won't tell us, the loyal customer, the MSRP and delivery date. :banghead :banghead :banghead

I too, don't care for the ridiculous muffler, but a 4-1 exhaust makes sense. Weight, and exhaust scavenging come to mind for starters. As others have said, I'm sure the aftermarket will fix that sooner rather than later. Personally, I don't need the heated bits, but I live in the desert. I do need cruise control so I hope it's an option, or an item addressed in the aftermarket.

Other than that, I'm impressed.

Impressed enough that I sold one of my bikes to make room (physically and financially) for this one...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm still baffled by Kawasaki's marketing team calling this a "Transcontinental Supersport" with only a 5.8 gallon fuel tank. :headscratch

1 - 20 of 28 Posts