Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
That is sick! It looks like a matte finish or is it glossy? Can't reall tell in the pic. How many coats of clear coat did you put on it?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no no no i didnt do it at all i wanted to show you guys this because way back i said i wanted to duct tape my bike in a cool way and this is what i was refering to, the only thing that worries me is the fairings on the engine...would the tape stand the heat.....

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
that is pretty sweet don't think it would turn out the same with duct tape but i get where your coming from

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is duct tape....cut into 3 inch squares and put on it then gone over with black powder/lead and wiped down to accentuate the patterns then clear coated....

·
Registered
87 Posts
sickkk.i dono how great it would come out on a bike tho

·
Registered
9 Posts
Go for it. People probably told the owner of that guitar discouraging thins as well.If you like it,build it. Good luck with it-I hope it turns out just the way you want it to.With enough effort,I'm sure it will .

·
Registered
14 Posts
it is duct tape....cut into 3 inch squares and put on it then gone over with black powder/lead and wiped down to accentuate the patterns then clear coated....
Hey dude, thats a pretty cool finish - But the guitar must have like 3mm of two pack laquer over the top to seal it and leave you with that flat finish.

From a guitar point of view although it looks cool it's going to hamper the sustain of it'swooden body - a little off topic I guess as the guitar was just a refernce point! But I couldn't resist talking a little about the guitar! lol I draw my experience from working in musical distribution responsible for some global top brands.

More on topic, because the fairings on your bike flex and sustain lots of temperature changes you'd be getting yourself into a world of grief!!! Laquer applied that thick will take forever and it's going to cost a packet too! I'd also be well concerned about it cracking due to temperature and flex, maybe you'd get away with it with car bumper laquer (the stuff that does flex)

Perosnally I'd write the idea off, maybe consider having someone airbrush it for you, not cheap but it will 100% work then!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey dude, thats a pretty cool finish - But the guitar must have like 3mm of two pack laquer over the top to seal it and leave you with that flat finish.

From a guitar point of view although it looks cool it's going to hamper the sustain of it'swooden body - a little off topic I guess as the guitar was just a refernce point! But I couldn't resist talking a little about the guitar! lol I draw my experience from working in musical distribution responsible for some global top brands.

More on topic, because the fairings on your bike flex and sustain lots of temperature changes you'd be getting yourself into a world of grief!!! Laquer applied that thick will take forever and it's going to cost a packet too! I'd also be well concerned about it cracking due to temperature and flex, maybe you'd get away with it with car bumper laquer (the stuff that does flex)

Perosnally I'd write the idea off, maybe consider having someone airbrush it for you, not cheap but it will 100% work then!
I've just been looking at the guitar for a little longer - maybe there is no laquer or possibly there is a thin layer over the top to seal it, leaving it textured. I would have thought that bugs, weather etc.. will eventually get under the gaffer tape over time and it will start to look well unkept!

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
well, I've never seen a duc tape paint job.
I don't think it's a good idea, but that's just me.
I'll second this. A guitar should see mild indoor use with minumal exposure to extreme heat and weathering... A bike? Not the case. With the heating and cooling of the motor and ambient temp changes, exposure to high wind (during riding), dust, dirt, sunlight, rain/moisture, etc. I don't think it would hold up... But that's just my speculation.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah my biggest concern was the heat as well...i just wanna do something cool to the bike but dont wanna spend an assload just to paint it black

·
Registered
14 Posts
yeah my biggest concern was the heat as well...i just wanna do something cool to the bike but dont wanna spend an assload just to paint it black
Why not look into having the bike wrapped in 3M carbon di-noc or aomething similar you'll have something funky a new fresh look to the bike and probably for a fraction of a spray job!

If you have the time and patients you could do it yourself to save more cash!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts