Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok... i misplaced my key and its the only one i had. now short of a miracle happening and having it turn up again, how hard is it to get a replacement made. i talked to my local locksmith and they said that if i bring the ignition up there that they can probably make a key from that. but... i was just reading the service manual and it says that there is a immoblizer system on my bike. so if i dont have my master key then the bike wont start. i was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them as well and what they did to fix it. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What bike do you have? Cuz i know on the new yamaha sportbikes, you have to take the master to a dealer and send that off to make new keys from that, its a red key. And if you don't have the red key then you buck up $1500 for a new ignition system (ecu, ignition, gas cap, rear seat lock). Thats on the yamahas tho. i didn't know kawi's had an immoblizer...i have a 05 636 and i just have the one black key(bought it used mind you) and brand new they only come with 2 black ones, never seen a master key with all the ones i built and PDI'd...

·
Registered
28 Posts
New ecu for you mate (05 636). Scrap dealer is the cheapest option. make sure you get the key with it! my new 05 636 came with two black and one red key.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
My 06 came with a key code. Provide the key code at a Kawi dealer and they should be able to cut a new one for you.

Don't have the key code? You should be able to get ahold of Kawi, provide your VIN and they should be able to tell you the code.

As far as an immobilizer? Never heard of them on a bike... I've had older models that keys were lost on, and had locksmiths make a key as you're suggesting, it worked fine.

Hope this helps... . otherwise, replacement is the option... but that sucks b/c you're changing ignition/fuel/trunk sets out. Good Luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i think swoosh is right. you should be able to go to the dealer to help you out. if not kawi should be able to get ot for you. i think i remember the dealer telling me that it costs like $90 for new key but i'm not too sure on that.

G

·
Along the same lines, for those of us with only one key are all motorcycle keys smaller than normal keys? And since I know mine is where can I get a copy cut? I have checked all the Wal-Mart type places and they never have matching key sizes...? Just to avoid something like this. That's a huge bummer dude, hope it works out o.k. for yah.

·
Registered
27 Posts
lock ya bike up securly! who knows where or whos got ya key!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well good news!!! i found my key. it was lodged in my helmet under a fold that i didnt look in. when i get off my bike and go inside i put it in there with my gloves and i guesss i thought that it must have dropped out. but anyway thanks for the advice. i tried contacting my dealer about a replacement key or a key code and they said that they dont keep that info on file, neither does kawasaki, even if you have a vin #. my bike also has a immobilizer on it that renders the bike useless if you lose the key. i would have had to buy a new ecu and key if i wanted to ride again. i talked to my locksmith today and tried to get a copy made today of my key but you need a transponder key and they didnt carry those. so now im going to find a place that can get me one so i dont have this problem again, probably gonna cost over 100 bucks but i think it will be worth it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If someone lost his/her keys, in this situation, one a Locksmith can help. A Locksmith will either change and replace the locks or they will happily supply you with exactly what you need and keep you, your family and possessions, safe from unwanted visitors. A locksmith will be able to provide a new key or will provide you with other solutions.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
well good news!!! i found my key. it was lodged in my helmet under a fold that i didnt look in.
Good thing you found it because that's definitely a pain to deal with. My brother once lost his bike key and had to get the assistance of a locksmith you was able to make him a key. Nowaways, the other option would be to contact the dealer and see what they would be able to do. With the serial # to the key they should be able to make another electronic key without any problems.

·
Premium Member
13,188 Posts
Step one if you only get one key when you buy a bike is to have a duplicate made. Key blanks are less than 10 bucks on Fleabay and getting a copy made will only cost a few more.

I believe immobilizers are standard in machines sold in the UK, but do not come on US-bound bikes.

Also, never heard of having to purchase a complete ignition system over a lost key. Sounds crazy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts