Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

What are you working on?

7K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  2fat2fly 
#1 ·
I'm just curious what everyone is working on this winter. Progress pics would be cool. Even if it's just your bike sitting in the garage getting nothing done to it.

I'll start. I spent today tearing down a 1995 ZX9R engine to overhaul it. I have my parts list and I'll be ordering parts tomorrow morning when the dealership opens.

See less See more
#6 ·
These bikes just looked like pure speed when they were new.Do you have a black/dark gray or a red one? I always thought these looked better than the ZX10 and ZX11 that followed them. Post some pictures of it when you get her done and in progress stuff too.

#3 ·
I just had the car painted and got it back a week ago the car is for sale 95 z28 lt1 6spd convertible sorry for the bad pic the car looks sweet.

this is how it looked before i had the car repainted the day i picked up the car 2 years ago

This 99 zx7r is for sale

this is what it looked like when i picked it up.

99 zx7r 00 zrx1100 and in the back ground (my 74 H1 500 triple sold) to fund the paint job for my car

parts for my 91 zx7 a new tank and for my 91 zx7r K1 and a 90 zx7 front fender

my 91 zx7r K1 tank i have found fcr 39mm flats slides carbs,forks,and motor and a new harness but need a CDI unit

fox shock

new tank, front fender, pass seat, radiator,chain guard,and so on

My 91 zx7 i am working on

my 97 zx7r i am working on this will be for sale so i can start on my 91 zx7r K1

I need more room buy some bikes and my car.

#5 ·
my 91 zx7r K1 tank i have found fcr 39mm flats slides carbs,forks,and motor and a new harness but need a CDI unit

[IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/ccr527/1991%20zx7/1991zx797zx7rbikes015.jpg

new tank, front fender, pass seat, radiator,chain guard,and so on

My 91 zx7 i am working on

[I need more room buy some bikes and my car.
You've got some nice projects going on. Can't wait to see them finished.

#4 ·
I'm putting a new clutch , chain, rear sprocket, rear brake pads and wheel bearings in my KX250 ill post pictures when i get home.

#7 ·
I'm just curious what everyone is working on this winter. Progress pics would be cool. Even if it's just your bike sitting in the garage getting nothing done to it.

I'll start. I spent today tearing down a 1995 ZX9R engine to overhaul it. I have my parts list and I'll be ordering parts tomorrow morning when the dealership opens.
Sounds like fun, 2Fat. Let us know what you found...

Keep those pics flowin' :smile

#8 ·
All my money has gone into the car this winter. My wife backed into a tall curb at ikea, the rotors were warped, the pads needed replacing, the power steering fluid had the viscosity of water, and the transmission fluid needs replacing as well. I had a buddy repair the bodywork and did the rest myself. Still about $1500 spent :(

#9 · (Edited)
When I bought this engine I was assured by the seller that it was a good runner with no issues. I decided to tear it down as a peace of mind thing. I'm glad I did. After tear down I inspected all the parts to see what I needed. I found one serious problem that needed addressed. One of the transmission bearings was actually bent and causing some issues .

Apparently the pin that holds the cup for this bearing had slid into the casting. This allowed the cup to move outward from it's normal spot. When it moved the whole gearset moved. one of the transmission gears rubbed the case and caused the wear marks in the photo. The second photo shows how the cup(cap?) looked on the bearing when I pulled it apart. New bearing is on order. Should be here Monday. I plan to assemble the bottom end next weekend. In the mean time, I'm going to strip the cases,jug,head and all external engine covers to remove any surface corrosion and repaint everything. When it's done it will look like a new engine.

#10 ·
I'm currently working on 4 projects.
2007 ZX10R
2006 GSXR750 motor(Split Cases)
2005 ZX10R(Replacing tail section)
1993 ZX7/9 (Fitting a late 80's GSXR PM Chicane front rim)

#14 ·
I'm working on trying to come up with a convincing story to tell myself, and more importantly my Lady, on why I need to trade my bike off for a newer liter bike:rolleyes

#16 ·
No pic's, but wiring up 220 in my little "shop" for an oven.
Going to try out some powder coating :crazyloco

#19 ·
hmmmm... currently working on a 2003 Yamaha Raptor 660R for tearing up the trails!!!

also my 2000 ZX7R Orico Card Replica

and piecing together my 2003 ZX7R...

just finished my low mileage and sold her.

#20 ·
just finished my low mileage and sold her.
Nice+1
If i had the cash and was in the market for my next 7 that would have been the ideal one.

#21 ·
I've got the '93 ZX-7R to do and the '94 but before I can do that I have a few others to finish. Just installed some new booth equipment which unfortunately made my shop a complete mess. Have some cleaning to do first. Bike on the stand at the moment is my 999. Only thing left of her from stock is the frame. Going to redo all the paint with carbon fiber and a carbon RS tank, have RS subframe and swingarm with an ex-Eboz exhaust going on too. The one on there now was a WSBK spare that I cut down to size but I'll put that on something else. 1198 motor going in...shit this is going to take awhile. The InfoStrada parts are going on the 998. Was going to put some radial Brembo HPs with my stock 999R Ohlins forks but I found some sweet PVM monoblock axial calipers so I'm going to use those instead. Have to find proper parts to fit them though. Won't be much left of the stock 998 either. Then have to finish the KTM 576SMR...damn! Not enough hours in the day.

THEN, I will work on the 7R.

Hard to find time to work on my own stuff when I'm working on everyone else's! I have a lot more projects to do. Triumph, boardtrack racer, softail chopper, etc.

These are what I spend a lot of time working on...(painting them)

#23 ·
I've got the '93 ZX-7R to do and the '94 but before I can do that I have a few others to finish. Just installed some new booth equipment which unfortunately made my shop a complete mess. Have some cleaning to do first. Bike on the stand at the moment is my 999. Only thing left of her from stock is the frame. Going to redo all the paint with carbon fiber and a carbon RS tank, have RS subframe and swingarm with an ex-Eboz exhaust going on too. The one on there now was a WSBK spare that I cut down to size but I'll put that on something else. 1198 motor going in...shit this is going to take awhile. The InfoStrada parts are going on the 998. Was going to put some radial Brembo HPs with my stock 999R Ohlins forks but I found some sweet PVM monoblock axial calipers so I'm going to use those instead. Have to find proper parts to fit them though. Won't be much left of the stock 998 either. Then have to finish the KTM 576SMR...damn! Not enough hours in the day.

That's an amazing garage space.

#22 ·
Finally finished up my transmission swap etc in my Ford Ranger, so I have no more excuses for being lazy with my bike...

Popped off the clutch cover to paint it. Also replace the alternator chain. And replace the lower oil drain hose.

Also, still in need of a 96+ left side lower fairing then I can get started doing the P model fairing swap.

Also have a 600RR tail fairing to get started on a custom subframe.

Josh

#24 ·
Today's project

I finished getting my 7R tank straightened out where it was caved in.I had to cut it open to pound out the damage. Tonight I'm taking it to my welder (brother) to have him weld it back together for me.

#26 · (Edited)
It's 0.060" or 1.5mm thick. .

#30 ·
Cool project. I'm rebuilding a 95 ZX9 myself. The demolition is in the first post on this thread.

#32 ·
[/IMG][/IMG]
[/IMG]
reworking the frame, fairings, rims and paint scheme. these fairings blew apart at 150. had to go back and pick them up. melted metal staple pieces into the mold to add strength and get it back together. started fiberglassing last night. ill also be throwing a thread up soon of the total rebuild.

#33 ·
I wouldn't use fiberglass to do repairs on fairings. The thermal expansion differences makes them crack over time. Best way to do it is how you started it, melt them back together. Use some ABS filler rod, legos... whatever ABS you can find and literally weld the things. If you match the color of the plastic you can get them to where you cannot tell it was ever damaged, even without paint.

#35 ·
didnt have the idea of abs filler rods. ill end up getting some more lowers by next winter. i felt such a difference in aerodynamics when those came off, i need them back on. and im sure with a 12% gain in torque, something might happen to them. not hoping tho. but i am planning on doing some low speed stunts. and i had thoughts of cutting the fairings towards the back to show a bit more of the motor in a stylishly updated 1994 way. ill use those as my practice in the late fall. thx for the heads up squidge.

#36 ·
I have the bottom end of my ZX9R buttoned up. As soon as I get the head done I can bolt the top end together. While I had it apart I sanblasted and painted everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.