Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wrecked the Zed on Monday afternoon. Bike is a write off. Thankfully, I got away pretty clean for landing on the back of my head and rolling around after a 25 foot flight over the trunk of the car that made a left in front of me (He didn't see me!) only managed some road rash on my right calf and a couple superficial scuffs on the same leg. The rest of my gear performed flawlessly, and I didn't even scuff my brand new race gloves, or the textile jacket I was wearing. The rash was in an area that wasn't fully covered by my armored jeans, but it's healing quite nice. Once it's 100% healed, I'm gonna see if my tattoo artist buddy can make it look cool.

My riding buddies are already looking for a newer bike for me, maybe a newer D model -11 or a Super Blackbird or a VTR1000 (yes, I really am a Honda Guy at heart, always have been, but I appreciate and respect the Green Machines ):)

Once I get the photos uploaded of the bike and my leg, I'll post pics.

I'm just happy it was only me, and not me and the girl. She opted to sit out the afternoon ride, because we were gonna meet up with the gang at the Timmy's and head across the street for happy hour burgers at the pub that evening. Instead, I spent the evening on a gurney getting X-rays CT scans, and pumped full of fuckitall.

So here's what my ZedX11 looked like before:

My usual Happy pre-ride self:

And this is what my poor bike looks like now:

And here's my leg at the hospital, this was the only "major" injury I sustained:

And it's already starting to heal up nice as of last night. My girlfriend is a wonderful nurse!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok! Toys can always be replaced, you can't replace a life in any form.. you faired a lot better than my buddy who had the same situation happen at 60.. he had full race suit on but multiple broken bones and blood transfusion, still in physical therapy 5 months later.. best of luck with the bike search!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I left a skidmark at least 30 ft long with the back tire and was grabbing the front brake so hard I pulled the lever off the bike when I went over (it was the closest piece of wreckage to me) and made contact around 50 km/h just have to pull the pics off Dropbox and put them on photobucket. Needed to shower and get the old dressing off my leg. Whoever said non-stick dressings are non-stick was full of shit. Either that or my body wants to heal that stuff right into me. I'm scabbing over but quick. Hopefully I don't need to cover much up tomorrow and I can go back to work. Soreness in the muscles and joints is down to a very tolerable level, and goes away completely with a dose of Aleve or Advil. My calf is itchier than hell, surefire sign it's trying to grow its shit back.

·
Registered
45 Posts
iv'e been in 3 big wrecks, that all required 6 months of physical therapy..ive never been the same since, but one of the best ways to heal is get back out and ride as soon as you can...it gets rid of those demons!...take care and watch lots of motorcycle docs while your laid up:smile

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Glad u r OK. :smile And the ASSHOLE who pulled in front of you?? Cops involved? Did they ticket him for negligence? :angry

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
yeah, you did good to get her woahed up enough to come out like that. I had a left turn'er take me out many years ago and it changed my life in more ways than the fact that it took me 6months just to stand on my own two feet again.

I hope you keep riding and find a great new bike too!

And likewise I hope you get a shit ton of money from the idiot who ruined your ride!

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
Your girl on the back, lucky she want there comment is something I have long thought about. Every rider in the group adds to the overall trip. For instance, say she did go and had to pee right as you were leaving for your wreck incident , you would not have been there to wreck?.??.or visa versa. All about being in the right place at the wrong time, but you never know until afterwards. At any rate, glad you are ok, and remember they are all trying to kill us, right appropriately.

And that means gearing up for the WCS.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the investigating officer is waiting on my statement to complete the investigation before filing charges. So far my insurance company is getting ready to send a demand for compensation to the other guy's company, I have medical paperwork on the way, and the bike has to be out of the impound lot before the 29th. I didn't have collision coverage, because I figure it'll end up the other guy's fault 90% of the time and if I get into a wreck where I'm at fault, they won't be able to claim much off a corpse :p

I refuse to let this keep me off a bike. This season is done. The weather forecast is looking ugly from here on out, and I can't find the spare key to the Magna as it is (the original was lost in the wreck, it was on the same key ring as the ZX11 key.)

Tasha (my beloved girlfriend/nurse/everything else while I'm recouping) is a little nervous now, but will be good to go once she gets some textile pants. I already sprung for a jacket and gloves, and we were getting new helmets in the off-season (xmas gifts to each other!) and she's sold on just how tough and lightweight my SWAT boots are, and how well they protected my feet. Some good sport/touring boots like A* or Sidi are hard to find in our sizes (well, easier for her to find a men's boot to fit her feet, but still tricky.)

Even though I got rashed up, I'm pretty pleased with how well my homebrew kevlar jeans did. I had a couple of old NIJ Level II plates kicking around from when I had to wear body armor for a living, so I dissected the plates, cut the sheets to size, and put them in place with a liner. I think next go round I'll have some textile pants custom made (Off the rack pants DO NOT FIT my legs) for the more casual days, and the custom fit 1-piece leather suit is currently being paid for.

Here's a pic from earlier this riding season, about two weeks after Tasha and I started dating. We're the same height, and at the time she was wearing a lambskin jacket that I have, because it was better than a hoodie.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
So good to know that you came out with everything attached. Off season is a good time to find a bike and spent some quality time stripping it and getting to know it without the urge to just go out and ride. Hope the recovery is quick and your back on two wheels soon.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Damn man that sucks but good to see you made it out relatively okay. Hopefully the other persons insurance covers anything for ya, those stupid medical bills, even if they're for relatively nothing at the hospital, can add up real quick if your health insurance doesn't wanna cover because it was on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay.
Best Wishes from Downunderland.

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
Glad you're ok man and happy to hear you were wearing gear. Hopefully you're back on a bike soon.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Damn man that sucks but good to see you made it out relatively okay. Hopefully the other persons insurance covers anything for ya, those stupid medical bills, even if they're for relatively nothing at the hospital, can add up real quick if your health insurance doesn't wanna cover because it was on a motorcycle.
Universal Healthcare.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just an update for everyone:

Had a minor setback in the healing process earlier in the week, but nothing major. I ended up pushing myself a little too hard at work, and that opened up my calf. Cleaned and patched it up real quick though, and decided to keep it covered a while longer. I went to some different dressings too, and some super neat tape that basically takes my 4x3" non stick dressings and turns it into a massive breathable, yet water repellant band-aid! My folks set me up with the tape, since it was given to my dad to cover up the dressings he used to cover up the incisions from his hip replacements. I managed to bounce back pretty damned quick because of it.

Got the bike out of the impound (big fees on that, just another thing to tack on to the settlement demand) and the bike is in FAR worse shape than those few pics I posted show. Forks are twisted AND bent, ditto with the right side clip-on. Probably explained why my leg finally turned purple 3 days later from the bruising. Thankfully, most of the bruising has faded out now, and the rash on my knee is 99% healed up, and the scabbing there is gone too. Just waiting on the rest of my calf.

In short, I doubt there is ANYTHING really salvageable on the bike. All the fairings are smashed (even the tail fairing cracked) frame is twisted, and the front rim has a pretty nasty ding in it. I'll take some time on Tuesday when I go back to work (I parked it in the yard at the shop) to get some photos during daylight. The part that's REALLY bugging me right now is I haven't heard a peep from the Cops since the crash, and the last word from anyone at the insurance company was on Wednesday.

·
Registered
423 Posts
omg glad you are ok. thats most important. the bike can be replace but we cant replace you. we all are riding brothers and sisters and its good to know you are still with us. heal up my friend. the pics of the bike are ....whoa looked bad. they need to have stiffer laws for those drivers of cause us to have mishaps.

get better man.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts