Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made it home from my second trip. Notice I say "just made it home"...

On my second week of vacation on the C14 I decided to do Skyline Drive/ Blue Ride Parkway in Virginia. My wife had business to attend to this past week, so I went by myself.

I left Monday Morning 7/30 and slabbed the PA TPK and Rt 81 to Front Royal Va. in record time. Jumped on the skyline, It was a hazy day but the views were still outstanding even though the camera was having some trouble with the haze. The bike and all added gear and farkles was performing flawlessly... by 6pm I dropped down off the BRP to get a room for the night. The weather looked unsettled.. to the north and south of me.. I was near Natural Bridge, VA.. so I punched up some lodging on the Garmin and decided to stay at a Days Inn in Lexington VA... home of VMI

About 11:30pm that night.... my trip ended.. and I felt.. my survival began.

I was awakened with my body in complete distress. I wont gore you with the details, but everything comming out of my body out of all the orifices, none of them the color that they should be... it went on for almost 3 hours before it finally subsided enough for me to realize that this severe upper abdomen pain that felt like someone ripped me with a Bowie Knife was not going to go away..

I had no choice but to put most of my gear on the bike, cover and lock it, and call 911, throwing myself to the mercy of local health care.

I had one of the EMT guys drag my Givi along and I was admitted with acute pancreaitis caused by a sick gall bladder with stones.

I was very fortunate to be at the hospital were Dr. Robert Irons was the head general surgeon.

My wife and father traveled down to me on Tuesday, and when released on Friday afternoon, helped me get back to the Days Inn.

I did 200 miles yesterday morning in the heat and made it to Chambersburg, PA by noon.. I could go no farther...

This morning was a beautiful morning, in low 70s.. we made it home by about 9:15am.. I had originally planned on going to the big bike monthly breakfast in Ephrata, PA and saw alot of riders on RT23 heading there.... oh well.. next month maybe..

Anyway... I have just over 4000 miles on the ticker.. the bike is running better all the time...(it seemed glad I was back on it) I love it more than any other bike I've owned hands down.

I promise an actual ride report with pics on both trips once my strength and stamina comes back some...

See you on the road....

Jerry

(or in this case... pick me up if you see me on the road..)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Jerry,

Glad the local medical care took good care of you. Here's to your speedy recovery.

Cary

·
Registered
184 Posts
Holy cow Jere!! Thats the last time I complain about a flat tire or something. Congrats on seeing your journey to the end!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Welcome back Jerry. :mfclap

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am sure that makes a great "anniversary" story down the road...but, pretty tragic. Glad you got all put back together.:mfclap

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jerry, I knew you were a tough guy but WOW!

Had you had problems with that before or was that your first adventure with it? Take care of yourself.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I promise an actual ride report with pics on both trips once my strength and stamina comes back some...

I’m hoping that you will recover completely very soon.

After you are rested, let’s go on. :smile

·
Registered
228 Posts
Here's wishing you a swift recovery, amazing dedication to get straight back on and ride home, much kudos to you!

·
Registered
44 Posts
If the horse throws you, get right back on and show it who's boss! The others are right,you are one tough rider. All the best on your recovery.
Keep grinnin' there are too many bugs in the world anyway!

ICBM

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want to thank all of you for the well wishes.... it helps more than you'll ever know..

I'm humbled.

Jerry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts