Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happened. I had a curve come up on me much quicker then anticipated, a wet curve might I mention(still wet from these lovely afternoon/evening showers here in Florida). Once I approached the curve I realized I had too much speed at which point I realized I had two options: try and take the curve, likely end up low-siding and damaging the bike badly and possibly myself, or continue to slow down and remain straight, go into the ditch and try my luck. I went with option two, I low-sided at around 25-30 mph, slid in the ditch about i don't know how many feet and just sat there for a few seconds and soaked in what happened. thankfully i had a friend with me and we got the bike back up. It fired right back up, and it runs and drives like normal. It all seems to be cosmetic damage aside from the front end being tweaked a little bit; the guys at the shop said they could loosen the bolts on the triple trees and get it back in line; nothing seemed bent.

I called Progressive Thursday early afternoon and made the claim. They were very friendly and helpful on the phone. They said I should be expecting a call within the next 24 hours to give someone the details of how everything went down, blah blah blah. So within the HOUR, I get the call from "the middle man", if you will, who I give all the details to and they familiarize me with how everything was going to happen. Once we got that figured out, they said that I should expect a call from a claims adjuster Monday or Tuesday who will go see the bike at the shop I have it at and will take it from there. I was already happy with that amount of speediness from Progressive, but it gets better. Around 10am this morning I get a call from my claims adjuster (I was very surprised she called so soon) saying that she is already up at the shop and has already taken care of EVERYTHING, and wants to know who to make the checks out to. I was absolutely blown away by this. They're covering everything down to my helmet for me. She was telling me that there was some kind of "limit" that my bike exceeded as far as coverage goes. She found a small paint chip on the very bottom of my tank as well as a paint chip on my rear wheel. She explained if ANYTHING was damaged to ANY extent,whether it be a scuff, scratch, dent, ding,etc, it gets replaced and quoted for OEM parts. Because of that, with my tank and wheel included, it would surpass the "limit". What she said she could do for me though if I could live with those flaws, she said she could lower my deductible from 1000 down to 250, which I was ALL for. I have no problem getting the paint matched for both then throwing a little touch up over those two spots. They only people that will know is me and you guys of course lol. Here is the breakdown:

Icon Alliance Carbon helmet- $551.00
Damage to ASV clutch lever and left frame slider- $165.00
Parts/labor to have motorcycle repaired- $2517.62

I kept my cool on the phone when I heard those numbers, but on the other side of the phone where she couldn't see me I was like :monkeyup:runaway

I was perfectly content with just getting enough to fix the MAJOR part flaws, but when I learned she went over the entire thing and if it was remotely damaged it would get replaced, I was blown away. The guys at the shop said that was MORE then enough to fix it and that I will have a little left over from it all, that can help go back to cover the deductible or to my outstanding traffic tickets.

So, I was expecting a weeks time for this all to get squashed, and it has been done in 24 HOURS time. For that, hats off to you Progressive; I'm beyond impressed and satisfied.

So, here is the plan ( input from you guys is requested ).

On order already, is this set of fairings:

ZX6 Fairing, Motorcycle Fairing, Kawasaki Fairing| NiceCycle.com

The color appears that it will match up to the tank nicely and from what I understand their aftermarket fairings are terrific in that they install properly and are good quality.

So, at 950 bucks all 90% of my damages are taken care of. A headlight was 300 bucks or so, plus labor i'm right around 1700 all said and done!

Now, come the opinions. Since I was compensated for the gear in the collision, I'd like to take this opportunity to get myself a nice helmet and leather jacket. I really liked that icon helmet and I will keep it since I didn't hit my head at all when I went down; will be kept as my GoPro helmet. I'd like to get a good quality helmet and jacket, while keeping the cost down as much as I can.

I found a leather A* jacket for approximately 225, and haven't really looked into helmets. Through experience, what kind of helmet or leather jacket would you guys recommend to me? in other words, what's in your wardrobe that fits the bill? Should I really ditch the helmet and get a new one or continue to use it? I didn't hit my head when I went down.

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say of my entire situation, my bad luck has really taken a turn for the better and I couldn't be happier right about now.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Sounds like you got very lucky from all possible perspectives. Glad that you weren't hurt. As far as gear goes I have been very happy with the stuff that I got from Leatherup.com. Great prices and I haven't had any problems with the quality either.

·
Banned
68 Posts
You got a win, win out of your situation. Your ok and you can get some better gear.

As far as gear goes. http://sportbiketrackgear.com is having a sale right now and have some nice leather jackets for as low as $110. And if the helmet didn't hit the ground at all I would keep it.

And I'm liking how progressive handled your claim so fast cuz that's who insures my cars and bike :smile

·
Registered
49 Posts
wow! insurance companies in the UK do all they can to not pay out on a claim, they will find any loop hole they can to say your bike etc was not covered. sounds like you got it good there mate!:clap

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
wow! insurance companies in the UK do all they can to not pay out on a claim, they will find any loop hole they can to say your bike etc was not covered. sounds like you got it good there mate!:clap

+1 on that. insurance sucks the money out your wallet and then adds small print

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Glad to hear Progressive is coming through for you. All of have those ohshit moments if we ride briskly.

A decent leather jacket will survive many crashes. You'll just have to do some shopping. You might look on ebay for a used Vanson. You might find a Cobra Mark 2 for $350.00. You can get an A-stars in every price point. Icon makes some excellent leather jackets.

Glad you walked away from this one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts