Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
didn't come up with much. Does the ZX11 take to Iridium plugs well or just run the CR9E NGK it calls for? If the Iridium plug is good, what is the NGK number?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Been running NGK Iridiums in my ZX11 for the last 3 years. Excellent plug....

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Well, I have 60k+ on my bike, so I guess Iridiums are for me :smile

and personally, I do notice the difference, especially with modifed carb jetting....

http://techmax.ca/iridium_spark_plag.htm

There are several reasons above, plus some more to follow. For example the smaller the spark plug's electrode the more concentrated the electric potential at the electrode. The stronger the electric field, the lower the required voltage. As a result contribution is good for all types of driving, the engine starts easily and acceleration improves. Iridium Spark plugs, burns fuel more efficiently, sparks at leaner air/fuel mixtures, and delivers higher horsepower - better gas mileage.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Same plugs with 60k miles on them?

It's only in the advertising that they tell you and you think you have more power.

There is no way anyone can tell a diff by their seat of the pants dyno from a regular plug and an iridium.

It's just a better plug for longer service.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The difference in price is not that much, 24 VS. 15 bucks for 4 of them. And I don't want to change them much so I'll try 'em and see if the extra 9 bucks is worth it.

And Blaine, thanks for the initiative to take the front fairing off, now it's stripped of all fairings and some of the stuff under that. I'm going all the way to steering head bearings, wheel bearings and the swing arm needle bearings. New chain and sprockets, wondering if it likes a 1 tooth smaller in the front or 2 to 3 teeth larger in the rear. My ZRX1100 loves the 2 tooth larger rear sprocket on it. When you get on it now it''s like stepping on a cats tail....yeah it's fun! :scared

I'm not going to be running the ZX11 over 135-140 much so does that gearing change make it more fun in the 65 - 135 MPH range? or leave it alone, it's geared just right. :headscratch

I'm sure there will be many more questions as this goes along. I'll take pix as I go. It is a beautiful bike to start off with but I know it's 16 years old and nothing much has been done but to ride it very in-often, only 18,830 on the clock and keep it clean so far as the parts you see but dusty under all the fairings the seat etc. It's pretty much stock except for braided lines and lot's of chrome stock parts all in a beautiful deep forest green. I had a 1995 ZX11 back from 1998 to 2001 and kicked myself for selling it. So I saw a beautiful representation of it and bought it. Now I plan to have it for years and years even if I don't put a ton of miles on it, it will be taken very good care of from now on.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Same plugs with 60k miles on them?

It's only in the advertising that they tell you and you think you have more power.

There is no way anyone can tell a diff by their seat of the pants dyno from a regular plug and an iridium.

It's just a better plug for longer service.

No, only 4000 miles on then, :smile and if it keeps me from having to tear down my bike a few less times over the course of those 2-3 4000 miles, and summers, then it is worth it to me in time and labor...

Its a pain in the ASS for me to change the plugs on my 95 Sebring. Guess what? She has Iridiums installed in her too, as does my 64 C10.

We shall agree to disagree my friend. :eek:hno EVERYTHING I have read about them is that they do increase mpg, supply a stronger, more centralized spark, with less voltage expended, & with over multiuple tens of millions of sparks reliably delivered over the miles & years, it means to me less heat, less wear and tear, and possibly LESS potential component failure...

I do agree with the seat of the pants scenario, though my ZX does seeem to start easier. Iridiums deliver gains that have to be measured over the miles and years, not from the initial pain in Hip National Bank when you pay the price of admission.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's only 9 bucks diff, why even bother to ask the question?
Because I didn't know if the bike takes to the plugs well or not. Iridium plugs are new tech and our bikes are old tech. My Honda Aquatrax jet ski uses them and you have to be careful with them. If you just crank the jet ski to run it for 30 to 60 seconds and not let the ski warm up you can foul the plugs easily. Just wanted to make sure these aren't the same in our bikes. Now the Aquatrax is FI instead of carbs but on the ZRXOA site they tell you not to run the regular NGK plugs on choke too long or you will foul them and they are the regular NGK's not iridium's. So that's why I asked. Thanks for the replies. Just looking for answers.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I also ran Iridiums on my built 83 Honda CB1100F. 11 to 1 compression, 39mm FCR flatslides pushing out 130 rwhp.....

NEVER had an issue with plug fouling....

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
The iridium number should just add IX.
Unless you're racing or keeping your bike for 100,000 miles, save your money and get the standard plug. You'll never notice the difference.
I agree and disagree with you, if your bike runs right you will not get any more power out of it. If you run rich it will help or like you said an old engine that burns a little oil will run better. Some guys who run for top speed will run there bikes a little richer @ top end to keep the pistons a bit cooler so those guys wil notice an improvement but for most of us regular street riders will not see any improvement.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NEVER had an issue with plug fouling....
I think it's the fuel mapping on the Aquatrax itself. Seemed to be a known problem. I did what they said on the board and kept a fresh set of plugs in the glove box. Never used them in 3 years and gave them to the guy I sold them to. I had 2 of the turbo's, a 2 seater and 3 seater. Fun skis but I like the early to mid 90's Seadoo's. 2 stroke motors with power valves and 350 to 400 pounds, not 900 pounds like the 4 stroke Honda Aquatrax. Much more fun to sling around and dirt bike style on the water. The one's now are big, smooth and fast. In other words they have refined out allot of the fun but hey, that's just me.

I'm just asking questions to get a variety of answers/ideas from people experienced in ZX11D model and would love to share that information to people who love the style of the ZX11D. I mean I love the way this bike looks, rides, memories from having one before, late 90's. And I'm figuring there are many here who are the same.

Well back to tearing this thing further apart so I can clean, lube, adj. and torque. Like I said, this 1996 is in really nice shape, pretty much stock with braided lines and gen mar risers. Chrome, yeah there's lot's of chrome there's rims, forks, rad/oil covers, driver and rider foot peg assys. chain guard, bar ends, brake/clutch handles, I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Just want to go thru the bike down to replacing bearings, frame and wheels, sprockets, chain, fluids, make sure everything is put back together correctly, all maint. done, valve adj, sync carbs, maybe rebuild the front forks, race tech springs, maybe gold valves. And in general tear everything apart, clean, inspect, lube, grease, assemble, ride it and know I'm set and the bike is solid. Thanks for the info everyone! :mfclap

1 - 12 of 12 Posts